The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could always be traded in the off season, but I think Benning really likes Goldy. Goldobin also said he loves being here and wants to stay. I can see him getting a raise after the season, but not a huge raise, He hasn't done much yet to deserve it. My guess is he'll get a short term "show me" deal.  He played very well last night. Canucks are not in a position to give up on a 23 year old skilled player who wants to be here. They need all the help scoring they can get.

Any GM/Coach who knows anything about hockey would be enticed by the skill-set that Goldy brings to the rink.  JB has been very open about Goldy in the sense that he/they need him to make the small on-ice decisions in the crucial areas of the rink such as at the blue-lines (getting pucks in/out of the zone) and along the boards (winning puck-battles) in order for him to fit into their long-range plans.  JB has said that as soon as they get puck-control in the 'o' zone, Goldy is completely free to be as creative as he wants, but he needs control in the zone in order to get the green light to go from there. 

My hope is that Green and the rest of the coaching staff have the same effect on Goldy as they did on Hutton before JB pulls the plug on him as a Canuck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

You can tell his teammates still don't trust him. A lot of times he was wide open and they refused to give him the puck and as good as he was today he still had some brain dead defensive breakdowns. He needs to play like this offensively though to stay in the lineup. I also don't know how a guy who is almost 200lbs gets thrown around so easily too.. I can see how Green gets frustrated with him... He has a ton of skill but just can't seem to put it all together.

If his teammates don’t trust him, imagine what he thinks when his passing option is Markus Granlund. 

I’d put up a lot of money on him putting up at least 40-50 points a season within a couple seasons. Hopefully for the Canucks.

If you don’t like Goldy, Quinn Hughes is going to make mistakes up the wazoo so get used to it.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You can tell his teammates still don't trust him. A lot of times he was wide open and they refused to give him the puck and as good as he was today he still had some brain dead defensive breakdowns. He needs to play like this offensively though to stay in the lineup. I also don't know how a guy who is almost 200lbs gets thrown around so easily too.. I can see how Green gets frustrated with him... He has a ton of skill but just can't seem to put it all together.

I dont know about the team not trusting him.  Here is a quote from Stetcher after ANH's game:

“Everyone wants him to succeed, he’s such a good kid in the room,” Troy Stecher said.

“Everyone loves hanging out with him. We all want the best for him.

then again i might not have been paying attention either

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Green didn't trust Goldy at first but then he gave him almost 20 minutes of ice time. The kid is working hard and creates a lot chances offensively.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

If his teammates don’t trust him, imagine what he thinks when his passing option is Markus Granlund. 

I’d put up a lot of money on him putting up at least 40-50 points a season within a couple seasons. Hopefully for the Canucks.

If you don’t like Goldy, Quinn Hughes is going to make mistakes up the wazoo so get used to it.

His current production pace already has him close to a 40-point player so he doesn't have too much more to go to be what you're envisioning.

• Cheers 1

Last night it was evident though that his skill can really bare down and tear apart the opposition, that is how good he is as a player.

Offensively he was dominant, the puck was on a string for him.  Defensively, he still could be a lot harder on the puck, but last few games have been very strong for Goldy.  Need those efforts to keep going, and the results will find him.

• Upvote 1

The last few games I've seen improvement by Goldobin, but I was exactly convinced of anything yet. Last night's game might've been Goldobin's best game. He was involved in the offence, providing some exciting skill, and he even made a few defensive plays. Blimey! I think he's getting it!

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The last few games I've seen improvement by Goldobin, but I was exactly convinced of anything yet. Last night's game might've been Goldobin's best game. He was involved in the offence, providing some exciting skill, and he even made a few defensive plays. Blimey! I think he's getting it!

There was a play in the final seconds of the 3rd where I thought Goldobin would force a pass through the neutral zone to try and create a scoring chance.  Instead, Goldobin passed it back to Stecher in the Canucks' zone and Stecher held on to the puck until the end of regulation.  A small play but to me, it showed the level of engagement and responsibility Goldobin has in recent games.  Goldobin has always been a "creator" since I have seen him play with the Canucks but there have been many occasions where I could see that he may try to force a play, and not always at the most opportune moments.  I don't think you can ever complete remove bad decisions from play, but it looks like Goldobin is starting to limit those considerably which is excellent to see.  He was deservedly rewarded with a healthy amount of playing time in OT.

Great to see and hopefully he'll start seeing the points come along with his stronger play.

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well he probably thought he was getting traded and when that didn't happen it lifted a huge obese monkey off his back.  I do notice he definitely needs to work on his conditioning, sometimes I can't tell if he's coasting due to lack of effort or lack of energy. 

I thought he made some good decisions in the game last night. It also looks like he's feeling more comfortable, and his confidence is being boosted. Nice for him to get important minutes late in the game. He even played with a little grit, which surprised me. That one play when he went through the whole team, almost scoring. That was impressive. The confidence to try that.

I had almost given up on Goldy until recently, but the last few games it's like someone turned a switch, and he's been getting better and better. I think maybe it is a combination of all the benchings giving him a wake up call and Baer's injury leaving a gaping void at top-6 LW.

I think Goldy is smart enough to realize that this might be his last chance to demonstrate that he belongs here. Sure hope he keeps it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would put this here...….seems like a pretty good place...

Has any ever bothered to look at Daniel Sedin's 22 and 23 year old seasons...….

Low 30's in points, playing just about every game

Also playing sheltered minutes, behind the Naslund and Co

Averaged about 13:30 minutes a game,. and under .40 points per game

Just standing up for Goldie...….Danny had it way easier! Way, way easier!

The Sedin guys did ok, didn't they?

Got to give Goldy another season...…..

I mean......Pettersson's point production has fallen to....does that mean he sits?

Edited by janisahockeynut

If Goldy can keep his intensity up he might be a good option for 3rd line LW in the future. He might still make top 6, and granted he will never be a checker, but a 3rd line of Goldy - Gaudette - Leivo could be pretty well balanced and be an offensive threat as well as responsible on D.