The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Honestly if we are just gonna give up on Goldy, we might as well stop drafting or trading for high end talent with flaws and just go for sure things with lower upside. Its completely useless of getting players with upside with flaws and not give them a chance to work through them. The Canucks still need talent in their roster, they are not gonna win with 1 scoring line and the bottom 6 are all Antoine Roussels especially the way the game is trending

And we're not going to make the playoffs this year and we're not going to compete for the cup anytime soon, so do we have time to let this young player with sick skills continue his development, the answer is, you bet we do. And we should as long as we keep seeing progress. 

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Its not so much the pts, its the fact that guys like Granlund, Ericsson have been given PLENTY of rope even though they are clearly not going to be in this team going forward. Thats why people are pissed. To hell with just December, how about those 2 guys, what have they done since a year and a half? They are harping on Goldy on his first full season. The team is not in the position of giving up on prospects so soon. Is Lind, and Gadjovich the answer? Not next year, and if they happen to make the team a year after, guess what? They'll be making the same mistakes Goldy is making and producing, if we're lucky 10 goals and maybe 20pts. Im not sure whether the Petterson effect has happened where all of a sudden, ok, we gotta expadite this rebuild faster. Doesn't work that way, we can't be tempted just because we are playing meaningful games in March just to give up on talent, especially talent thats still untapped. Geez Jake Virtanen has gotten plenty of rope with this team, nobody says anything about his points, the guy has 3 empty netters this season and has 3 shots in what, the last 5 games? Does Goldy make mistakes, yes, but we've also seen what he can do offensively. He's hit a few posts and guys haven't been burying his passes, so what? Hes noticeable, good or bad, before the NJ game ( I thought he actually played well against the Devils) He's had a long streak of good games and at least being noticeable, more than Virtanen who just skates laps around the rink with nothing to do. Am I ready to give up on Jake? Nope, but the standard has to be set if Granlund and Ericsson don't do anything, they should be riding the pine also.

Honestly if we are just gonna give up on Goldy, we might as well stop drafting or trading for high end talent with flaws and just go for sure things with lower upside. Its completely useless of getting players with upside with flaws and not give them a chance to work through them. The Canucks still need talent in their roster, they are not gonna win with 1 scoring line and the bottom 6 are all Antoine Roussels especially the way the game is trending

Not saying we should necessarily give up on him yet (though he's running out of time) but the reason those guys get more rope is that they contribute elsewhere on the ice if they're not scoring.

If Goldy's not scoring, he's a liability.

If they're not scoring, they're at least being sound defensively, breaking up plays, being hard on the puck, taking away pucks etc.

It's not rocket science.

• Cheers 1

Goldobin seemed to always be on the cusp of breaking through. I thought he looked better recently, he was getting involved in board battles and playing with a bit more effort on the backcheck. Yes, the puck hasn't gone in for him this year, but he is a very skilled, creative player. Maybe he works his butt off in the summer (like Jake and Hutton did) and he comes back a much improved player? I hope they aren't giving up on him too early. Tossing aside a young, highly skilled player with speed isn't what the Canucks should be doing at this stage of the rebuild. They can't afford to. If Benning trades Goldobin for another couple of bottom 6 forwards, I will have lost confidence in this management. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goldobin seemed to always be on the cusp of breaking through. I thought he looked better recently, he was getting involved in board battles and playing with a bit more effort on the backcheck. Yes, the puck hasn't gone in for him this year, but he is a very skilled, creative player. Maybe he works his butt off in the summer (like Jake and Hutton did) and he comes back a much improved player? I hope they aren't giving up on him too early. Tossing aside a young, highly skilled player with speed isn't what the Canucks should be doing at this stage of the rebuild. They can't afford to. If Benning trades Goldobin for another couple of bottom 6 forwards, I will have lost confidence in this management. 

Yeah I agree. While goldy hasn't necessarily impressed this year, hes far from the worst of our forwards. I put

Erikksson 

Schaller

Granlund

Spooner

And possibly sutter 

All below him. While goldy may not be the answer to our problems, he definitly isnt our biggest problem. Especially when you consider salary of all these other players. This team preaches that the best players play. I hope they follow through with that talk.

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I agree. While goldy hasn't necessarily impressed this year, hes far from the worst of our forwards. I put

Erikksson 

Schaller

Granlund

Spooner

And possibly sutter 

All below him. While goldy may not be the answer to our problems, he definitly isnt our biggest problem. Especially when you consider salary of all these other players. This team preaches that the best players play. I hope they follow through with that talk.

I'm not a fan of any of those players, but who helps this team win games?

Goldobin? Definitely not.

LE? Does some PK work, but no.

Schaller? No.
Granlund? More goals than Goldobin, and plays the PK. Wins puck battles sometimes.
Spooner? Haven't seen nearly enough of him yet, but his history gives him promise.

Sutter? Plays PK and wins battles. Can't get any points though.

I would put most of these players in the same boat, including Goldobin.

2 minutes ago, TU90 said:

I'm not a fan of any of those players, but who helps this team win games?

Goldobin? Definitely not.

LE? Does some PK work, but no.

Schaller? No.
Granlund? More goals than Goldobin, and plays the PK. Wins puck battles sometimes.
Spooner? Haven't seen nearly enough of him yet, but his history gives him promise.

Sutter? Plays PK and wins battles. Can't get any points though.

I would put most of these players in the same boat, including Goldobin.

So you agree then.

I think Benning may bring in another forward (UFA) to play in the Top 6. If they plan on trading Goldobin, they will need to upgrade at wing. They can't expect Pearson or Granlund to fill in until next year's draft lol  Baertschi's future is also in question.

NYRs have 3 first round picks. Could Benning possibly trade Goldobin and the 2nd to NYR for their #24? That would be alright. Canucks could end up with Hoglander, Pelletier or Tomasino, as well as the top 10 pick.  

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

So you agree then.

There are a couple forwards there that help this team win more than Goldy sites. Not sure what the obsession is with him, especially on Twitter.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Benning may bring in another forward (UFA) to play in the Top 6. If they plan on trading Goldobin, they will need to upgrade at wing. They can't expect Pearson or Granlund to fill in until next year's draft lol  Baertschi's future is also in question.

NYRs have 3 first round picks. Could Benning possibly trade Goldobin and the 2nd to NYR for their #24? That would be alright. Canucks could end up with Hoglander, Pelletier or Tomasino, as well as the top 10 pick.  

If Baer has a miraculous recovery like Crosby did, that'll solve one of our top 6 winger problems, but we'll still be lacking in that position. I like your proposed trade and think it would work from both sides. 

21 hours ago, kurtis said:

What about our 6 million dollar man? 

Meh. Eriksson has a bad contract, a really bad contract. Not going to keep beating him up for not scoring 30 goals. He's a good shut down guy, not an easy job. Everyone would love him at 2.5 mil, can't blame a player for signing that contract.

But Goldy... nope. he's not getting it. hours of video footage, top of the line coaches, drills designed to give him the skills he needs to succeed,.. and still not getting it. He hasn't earned the right to coast back into the zone. He has cost goals, which likely means he's cost the team games. When that happens too much, well then you ride the pine.

At least Eriksson helps keep the puck out when he's not putting it in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Meh. Eriksson has a bad contract, a really bad contract. Not going to keep beating him up for not scoring 30 goals. He's a good shut down guy, not an easy job. Everyone would love him at 2.5 mil, can't blame a player for signing that contract.

But Goldy... nope. he's not getting it. hours of video footage, top of the line coaches, drills designed to give him the skills he needs to succeed,.. and still not getting it. He hasn't earned the right to coast back into the zone. He has cost goals, which likely means he's cost the team games. When that happens too much, well then you ride the pine.

At least Eriksson helps keep the puck out when he's not putting it in.

Actually, I feel like Goldobin has done a lot better in that regard. You can definitely see he makes much more of an effort on the defensive side of things. His offensive prowess is there, I think it’s worth trying to continue developing Goldobin. Plus, he seems to be well-liked by everyone in the dressing room. 

37 minutes ago, suitup said:

Actually, I feel like Goldobin has done a lot better in that regard. You can definitely see he makes much more of an effort on the defensive side of things. His offensive prowess is there, I think it’s worth trying to continue developing Goldobin. Plus, he seems to be well-liked by everyone in the dressing room. 

Fair. I agree he's made strides defensively since the start of the season, but keep in mind he's not only taking up a roster spot, but also the coaches time. Must be frustrating for them. Pretty soon we will have too many players "trying to be developed" on the team. Gaudette, Juolevi, Hughes, Woo, Demko, Bris, Sautner, Virtanen. I know thats part of growing a young team, a couple of projects is good, but when half the team is underdeveloped thats bad. While I agree Goldy might take more time, I wonder if the canucks are thinking..... "we don't have any more time to spend on Goldy" and "What can we get for him" .... I'm thinking that right now :)

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Fair. I agree he's made strides defensively since the start of the season, but keep in mind he's not only taking up a roster spot, but also the coaches time. Must be frustrating for them. Pretty soon we will have too many players "trying to be developed" on the team. Gaudette, Juolevi, Hughes, Woo, Demko, Bris, Sautner, Virtanen. I know thats part of growing a young team, a couple of projects is good, but when half the team is underdeveloped thats bad. While I agree Goldy might take more time, I wonder if the canucks are thinking..... "we don't have any more time to spend on Goldy" and "What can we get for him" .... I'm thinking that right now :)

Also fair! We will just have to see what happens. :) 

20 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Its not so much the pts, its the fact that guys like Granlund, Ericsson have been given PLENTY of rope even though they are clearly not going to be in this team going forward. Thats why people are pissed. To hell with just December, how about those 2 guys, what have they done since a year and a half? They are harping on Goldy on his first full season. The team is not in the position of giving up on prospects so soon. Is Lind, and Gadjovich the answer? Not next year, and if they happen to make the team a year after, guess what? They'll be making the same mistakes Goldy is making and producing, if we're lucky 10 goals and maybe 20pts. Im not sure whether the Petterson effect has happened where all of a sudden, ok, we gotta expadite this rebuild faster. Doesn't work that way, we can't be tempted just because we are playing meaningful games in March just to give up on talent, especially talent thats still untapped. Geez Jake Virtanen has gotten plenty of rope with this team, nobody says anything about his points, the guy has 3 empty netters this season and has 3 shots in what, the last 5 games? Does Goldy make mistakes, yes, but we've also seen what he can do offensively. He's hit a few posts and guys haven't been burying his passes, so what? Hes noticeable, good or bad, before the NJ game ( I thought he actually played well against the Devils) He's had a long streak of good games and at least being noticeable, more than Virtanen who just skates laps around the rink with nothing to do. Am I ready to give up on Jake? Nope, but the standard has to be set if Granlund and Ericsson don't do anything, they should be riding the pine also.

This is Goldy's 5th year playing pro hockey. He'll be 24 when the season starts next year. He's had his chances, its not like he was just drafted. So I don't know what Goldy has to do with future draft picks.

Your preaching to the choir on Eriksson (I'd like to see him gone in the offseason) & to a lesser degree Virtanen. I see Virtanen as a potential trade chip this offseason.

Your not wrong in saying Granlund & Eriksson haven't been great either, but they both have more goals than Goldobin. And their bottom 6 players. As of right now Granlund's future with this team is probably more stable than Goldobin. Granlund is a bottom 6/depth guy, he's fine in that role. 

The problem with Goldobin is simply he's an offensive player that doesn't produce enough. I like Goldbin, I've liked him since his draft year. I want him to succeed, but he's been given opportunity after opportunity & just hasn't been good enough.

Unless we can find someone to replace him I'm not against bringing him back next year, but he needs to be better or he won't be in the NHL much longer. You can rag on Roussel all you want but he's been better than Goldobin in every aspect this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is Goldy's 5th year playing pro hockey. He'll be 24 when the season starts next year. He's had his chances, its not like he was just drafted. So I don't know what Goldy has to do with future draft picks.

Your preaching to the choir on Eriksson (I'd like to see him gone in the offseason) & to a lesser degree Virtanen. I see Virtanen as a potential trade chip this offseason.

Your not wrong in saying Granlund & Eriksson haven't been great either, but they both have more goals than Goldobin. And their bottom 6 players. As of right now Granlund's future with this team is probably more stable than Goldobin. Granlund is a bottom 6/depth guy, he's fine in that role. 

The problem with Goldobin is simply he's an offensive player that doesn't produce enough. I like Goldbin, I've liked him since his draft year. I want him to succeed, but he's been given opportunity after opportunity & just hasn't been good enough.

Unless we can find someone to replace him I'm not against bringing him back next year, but he needs to be better or he won't be in the NHL much longer. You can rag on Roussel all you want but he's been better than Goldobin in every aspect this year. 

Yes hes not producing enough, but keep in mind, Baerthchi and Goldobin at the same age at 23  have almost the exact point totals, +-, with almost the same (Im assuming Goldy will play 5-7 more games this year) amount of games played, did we give up on Baertchi? No we didn't. Sven had the exact problems Goldobin has right now, flashy plays and sub par defensively and effort. Baertchi came back the next year, injuries aside, was a mainstay in the lineup. If this is a persistent problem NEXT year then all bets are off. Baertchi at 23 played 69 games i believe, Goldy is at 62 as off this season with games left. We need guys like Goldy, Lind etc. to develop somehow and become contributors so we have to be patient. I don't think anybodys mentioned this point but also for salary cap reasons. We can't keep signing or trading for guys that are making 3 plus million as bandaid until the young guys "get it" and play a 200 ft game. The team needs players that will score above what their contract value is, entry level deals, qualified RFAs. Minnesota Wild tried that before, just signing name guys in the summer (Suter, Parise, and I think Vanek?), look how its turned out for them? Have they even won a playoff round since? No finals, no stanley cup

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yes hes not producing enough, but keep in mind, Baerthchi and Goldobin at the same age at 23  have almost the exact point totals, +-, with almost the same (Im assuming Goldy will play 5-7 more games this year) amount of games played, did we give up on Baertchi? No we didn't. Sven had the exact problems Goldobin has right now, flashy plays and sub par defensively and effort. Baertchi came back the next year, injuries aside, was a mainstay in the lineup. If this is a persistent problem NEXT year then all bets are off. Baertchi at 23 played 69 games i believe, Goldy is at 62 as off this season with games left. We need guys like Goldy, Lind etc. to develop somehow and become contributors so we have to be patient. I don't think anybodys mentioned this point but also for salary cap reasons. We can't keep signing or trading for guys that are making 3 plus million as bandaid until the young guys "get it" and play a 200 ft game. The team needs players that will score above what their contract value is, entry level deals, qualified RFAs. Minnesota Wild tried that before, just signing name guys in the summer (Suter, Parise, and I think Vanek?), look how its turned out for them? Have they even won a playoff round since? No finals, no stanley cup

Baerstchi was never a defensive liability like goldobin. While not physically imposing, SB goes into the corners and wins puck battles. Im not sure if he did this with the flames/abbotsford and utica, but he does it for us. That is exactly what goldobin doesnt get. He doesnt get it with the canucks. He didnt get it with the comets. He didnt get it with the sharks, or the Barracuda. 

Its like beating a dead horse with him. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Baerstchi was never a defensive liability like goldobin. While not physically imposing, SB goes into the corners and wins puck battles. Im not sure if he did this with the flames/abbotsford and utica, but he does it for us. That is exactly what goldobin doesnt get. He doesnt get it with the canucks. He didnt get it with the comets. He didnt get it with the sharks, or the Barracuda. 

Its like beating a dead horse with him. 

He really should play like JV, just lose the puck at the blue line or fire it into a guys shin pads from far out, then quickly turn around and try and get it back and make it look like you're putting in a defensive effort...even though you caused the need for it.

So far it looks like Utica cannot develop any offensive talent, we don't have anyone with an offensive prowess, how's that not alarming people.

Gaudette, JV, Sautner, Gaunce, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, Palmu  all haven't done very well in AHL/NHL. This should be setting off red flags to mangement

Edited by shad0w4life
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shad0w4life said:

He really should play like JV, just lose the puck at the blue line or fire it into a guys shin pads from far out, then quickly turn around and try and get it back and make it look like you're putting in a defensive effort...even though you caused the need for it.

Goldobin 

32 giveaways 

20 takeaways

Virtanen

19 giveaways 

41 takeaways

Simple math bruh 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1