The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

Wonder if the fact that many of his team mates ( Horvat, Markstrom, Sutter and Tanev) also deal with Newport Sports, had anything to do with it, plus the fact is is a very well known agency for representing NHL players. Could also be that they perhaps take less of a percentage of his salary as their fee.

I just hope he comes to camp in excellent condition and brings some determination and feistiness to his game and has worked on his shooting accuracy as well.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Wonder if the fact that many of his team mates ( Horvat, Markstrom, Sutter and Tanev) also deal with Newport Sports, had anything to do with it, plus the fact is is a very well known agency for representing NHL players. Could also be that they perhaps take less of a percentage of his salary as their fee.

I just hope he comes to camp in excellent condition and brings some determination and feistiness to his game and has worked on his shooting accuracy as well.

I tend to think Newport Sports serve all the needs of a player. Training, diet, finances and future possibilities. It's a well thought of agency and has a lot of volumes to solve problems. I hope this works out for Goldobin

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Every summer so far since we acquired him, I have this annoyance with Goldy's commitment level and leaves me saying the hell with him.  But every single time I come back to the thought just hold on just a bit longer with him, he will get it.

So yet again I'm renewing my confidence in Goldy.  A new agent, a full year in the NHL, and a real good taste what he needs to do to be a consistent top six forward on this team, has no more excuses, its now or never with him.  

Now or never is right.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Looks like that work will pay off... for another team.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I love the Ferland signing, but it also makes it even more obvious that the team lack skill. Goldy and Baer are very valuable in that sense, and their weaknesses may matter less now with a more balanced, heavier and tougher team.

• Upvote 2

On 7/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, Hutton Wink said:

No arb rights, should be cut-and-dried simple... unless they manage to trade his rights.

Apparently it's the last day to accept qualifying offers?  Would think he'd accept; not sure what leverage he'd have to get much if any more than last year.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Apparently it's the last day to accept qualifying offers?  Would think he'd accept; not sure what leverage he'd have to get much if any more than last year.

Maybe he wants to go back to Russia.  The writing may be on the wall and if he signs he could be playing in Utica.

Goldobin is more of a skilled player than anything else. Burying him on the 3rd or 4th line won't help the team. I'm curious to see how he does when camps opens. Hopefully he's been working on the stuff he needs to. If he comes to camp a better player, does he take over Pearson's LW spot with Bo? I suspect Gaudette will start in Utica, and maybe Sutter stays?

2nd - Goldobin - Horvat - Miller

3rd - Pearson - Sutter - Leivo

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goldobin is more of a skilled player than anything else. Burying him on the 3rd or 4th line won't help the team. I'm curious to see how he does when camps opens. Hopefully he's been working on the stuff he needs to. If he comes to camp a better player, does he take over Pearson's LW spot with Bo? I suspect Gaudette will start in Utica, and maybe Sutter stays?

2nd - Goldobin - Horvat - Miller

3rd - Pearson - Sutter - Leivo

Yeah. Goldobin is definitely a skilled player with defensive defencies. I hope he's worked on his defensive side of the game. 

I can see this line up, entering into the season. 

Gaudette sent to Utica to at least begin the season, let his offensive game blossom down there, being the number 1 centre. 

1st Ferland/Pettersson/Boeser

2nd Goldobin/Horvat/Miller 

3rd Pearson/Sutter/Virtanen (I can see Miller and Virtanen inter-changeable here)

4th Roussel/Beagle/Motte 

I want Virtanen to be given some time for a top six role. But I'm not convinced that Green sees Jake in that role. But, if he did. I can see Virtanen on Bo's wing, and Miller with Sutter. If Sutter can remain healthy until the Trade Deadline, I think Jim ships him out, and replaces Gaudette on that 3rd centreman. 

I can even see Miller on Pettersson's wing, and Ferland on the 3rd line.

Thing is, though, that Sutter just isn't very good offensively. So anyone who's going to be playing with him isn't going to be any good offensively. 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, J-P said:

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I love the Ferland signing, but it also makes it even more obvious that the team lack skill. Goldy and Baer are very valuable in that sense, and their weaknesses may matter less now with a more balanced, heavier and tougher team.

I was thinking on the same line of things as well. We have lots of meat and potatoes now but nothing in the way of any kind of "back up" skill. I count Goldy and Boucher as the only 2 with offensive upside, and Boucher isn't even in the same tier as Goldy. We very well may need Goldy and his natural instincts this season. Besides we won't get much via trade for him right now. It's probably a better plan to see how he pans out this year on the team.

Is Pearson a true Top 6 player? He once had a 24-goal season playing with LA. I kniow he had some chemistry with Bo last season.

Top 6:

Ferland

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

I would imagine the #2LW position would be between Pearson and Goldobin?

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Pearson a true Top 6 player? He once had a 24-goal season playing with LA. I kniow he had some chemistry with Bo last season.

Top 6:

Ferland

Pettersson

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

I would imagine the #2LW position would be between Pearson and Goldobin?

I think the final two winger spots are between Ferland, Pearson, and Baertschi imo. I'm not sure I see Goldy making the team. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think the final two winger spots are between Ferland, Pearson, and Baertschi imo. I'm not sure I see Goldy making the team. 

Oh geez, forgot about Baertschi. I think Goldobin may be as good as gone then. Unless....are they waiting to see how Baertschi performs at camp before making a decision? Any chance Baertschi gets waived?  Maybe he can get his game back in gear in the minors? (or to see if he can even still play) Not sure another team would claim him, kind of damaged goods and he's making $3.6.