The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

Giving Goldobin a 10-20 game Canucks taster isn't the worst thing. This is Goldobin's second AHL season and he's got 41 points in 46 games. He's doing quite well. He'll likely get papered tomorrow for Utica and play with them if Utica gets into the AHL playoffs. Future is looking bright!

3 minutes ago, khay said:

This trade gives us another winger prospect on top of Boeser, Virtanen, and Dahlen. Considering the fact that Baertschi and Granlund look like they are going to be at worst 20 goal scorers and Boeser looking like a sure thing, we only need one of Virtanen, Goldobin, and Dahlen to reach their potential to round out the top 6 winger positions.

Draft a good center this draft and we should be competitive within few years. 

Go Canucks Go

I think Granny is 3rd line guy that can step up into the top 6 if need be. A good versatile player

26 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I think Granny is 3rd line guy that can step up into the top 6 if need be. A good versatile player

Reminds me of a Hansen except the speed. A great 3rd liner that can play up the lineup and won't hurt you if so.

What I really like about acquiring Goldobin (and to an extent Dahlen) is that it buys time for our other prospects so they don't have to be rushed. Goldobin's a bit more seasoned, he has pro experience and he can step in right away. Everybody's excited over Boeser and Gaudette, and is impatient about Virtanen but the more we add to our prospect pool the less pressure there is on those players to make an impact right away.

If we can get Dahlen signed and into Utica next season I'd say leave at least one of Boeser or Virtanen there, depending on how they perform in camp. Let them grow together, along with Gaudette if he turns pro. We'll have Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, and hopefully Boucher and Gaunce taking strides with the big club - and who knows, maybe a top lottery pick too.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

What I really like about acquiring Goldobin (and to an extent Dahlen) is that it buys time for our other prospects so they don't have to be rushed. Goldobin's a bit more seasoned, he has pro experience and he can step in right away. Everybody's excited over Boeser and Gaudette, and is impatient about Virtanen but the more we add to our prospect pool the less pressure there is on those players to make an impact right away.

If we can get Dahlen signed and into Utica next season I'd say leave at least one of Boeser or Virtanen there, depending on how they perform in camp. Let them grow together, along with Gaudette if he turns pro. We'll have Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, and hopefully Boucher and Gaunce taking strides with the big club - and who knows, maybe a top lottery pick too.

Totally agree, makes sense like the moves for Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Vey, Etem, are all examples of helping bridge the gap.  Clearly Virtanen and McCann were rushed way to early and got exposed.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Can anyone tell me why he went 27th overall - ie are there concerns? He had roughly the same draft year PPG, in the same league, as Dal Colle and Bennett who were top 5 picks...

Compete level and size. Tends to forego defence to create offense.  But still a work in progress, no player is a complete two way dominator like Bo Horvat, who in some respects needs to fine tune in that area too.

Im not worried because Sven Baertschi also wasn't a great defensive aware player, yet bought into the plan to play a 200 foot game in order to have success in the offensive zone. Can happen with Goldobin too if he is willing to put in the time and effort to do so too.

Defence is easier to teach over having offensive skills.  I feel that because Nikolay is such a good skater, he could easily skate into positions, but its getting him to think of that mindset the pick up his feet and move to those areas on the ice.

Talent Analysis

Goldobin is a gifted sniper with the potential to be a big-time scorer in the NHL with his excellent wrist shot. His game in his own end, particularly his defensive play, has held him back to this point. New San Jose Sharks' head coach Peter DeBoer values smart, two-way play and he — along with former Devils' coach Jacques Lemaire — helped another Russian sniper, Ilya Kovalchuk, transform from being a defensive liability to a player that is more aware in his own end of the ice. Goldobin has many of the same tools as Kovalchuk. While he may not put up the same gaudy offensive numbers as the former Thrashers and Devils forward, Goldobin has the potential to be a special player at the NHL level.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikolay-goldobin/#3jEOzpyyajRijsPA.99

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

5 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Can anyone tell me why he went 27th overall - ie are there concerns? He had roughly the same draft year PPG, in the same league, as Dal Colle and Bennett who were top 5 picks...

Perhaps other posters can confrim this, but I think in recent seasons, there's been concern that some of these prospects might easily go back to Russia?

In truth, I have no idea if that fear may have contributed to this kid's placing.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

This guy was a Tim Burke pick. 

Anyone who is familiar with him knows what that means. Alot of people credit him for the Sharks being competitive the last decade, thanks to his scouting and drafting abilities. He's basically San Jose's Benning, the guy finds NHL talent.

Bingo. The guy finds gems. If he picked Goldobin, I'm willing to bet we've got a real good player.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Totally agree, makes sense like the moves for Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Vey, Etem, are all examples of helping bridge the gap.  Clearly Virtanen and McCann were rushed way to early and got exposed.

Yeah, in fairness to McCann though there was no way he was getting sent back to junior after 5 goals in his first 9 games... the fans here would've demanded Benning's head. :lol: But in hindsight neither of them were fully ready and I hope management learns from that. I'm hopeful that going younger with Goldobin and Dahlin works out better than Vey and Etem too!

Goldobin reunited with Boucher?  Is that correct??  They did play together in junior no?

If so let's draft Petterson if we're not in the top 3 and reuinte him with Dahlen and sign aston reese for Gaudette and have us some partial lines all around.

Challenge for Goldobin is going to have to try and stick out among the young forwards we have particularly since a lot of them are of the same skill set and same size.

Sven Baertschi, Nikolay Goldobin, Markus Granlund, Reid Boucher - all four of them under shade of 6 feet, and all have some variation of the same skill set.

Focus should be to get bigger players with skill to help create more space for these guys going forward, especially since the West continues to get bigger.  

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

How many minutes do you reckon he gets with Willie at the helm?

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

NHL ready? Damn, I was hoping Green would have him even for a little bit.

Similar to the Burrows situation. Obviously the Canucks made the right move, but I am sorry to see Hansen go. And if the Sharks win the Cup, the 4th round pick becomes a first round pick.

But one guy who I am sure is not happy is Willie. He is losing a very hard-working consistent player who plays hard in all three zones and is very good defensively. He is getting a guy with a lot of skill but whose defensive game is questionable, as is his work ethic and his defensive zone play. He was a frightening -30 in his last year of junior in Sarnia. And he is small and soft.

But it is still a good move. as Goblin is a good prospect. That gives the Canucks two high-end scoring prospects from the Burrows and Hansen trades. If one of them become a legitimate first liner, that would be great. But the Canucks have taken a big hit in the character department in the last two days.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, Nikolay! He has the potential to be a great player in the future. great to see that he will play against his former team. I've heard nothing but great things about this young kid. I like the fact that he has a solid 2 way game, a great playmaker, and an eye for goal. believe he will be a consistent goal scorer for us and will rack up points on a nightly basis for us one day. he's been making it happen in the A and its only a matter of time he will break out in the NHL. funny that I traded him in fantasy league I'm in for Leafs prospect Gauthier. think it's an even trade but might be regretting it soon lol. elated to have this kid in our team now and down the road, Sharks will end up regretting giving him up. he also has great vision and knows where his teammates are always, makes his passes so easy like Juolevi where he makes his teammates and not just him better. excited!

1 hour ago, EagleShield said:

There were a few concerns. Here's what comes to mind (from what I can remember and also a few things I've read today):

-his size/strength and whether or not he could stand up to the demands of NA pro or would wilt against the physical pressure

-viewed as having weak defense/two-way/200ft game

-Russian factor (seems to always crop up, especially with some of the NHL front offices)

-some concerns that he was too individualistic and possibly not a good team player (and the Russian factor tends to exacerbate these concerns for some people)

-effort/consistency and whether he would bring it "night in and night out" 

Most of those issues seem to have been addressed.

He's gotten a lot stronger and is just a shade under 200 lbs now (195 IIRC) and a hair under 6 feet. So size likely won't be an issue. 

He seems committed to the NHL and doesn't appear to have any flight risk. Having Igor Larionov as his agent helps. But he's embraced the North American culture and lifestyle. Doesn't seem like a guy who'll just bolt to the KHL if things don't go his way.

As for his perceived "attitude problems" he did get into a little trouble with Sharks on early NHL stints. Apparently rubbed a few guys the wrong way. Rumours he needed to be set straight by some of the vets for his individualistic play and also being a bit too "big for his britches" and not showing proper respect. But apparently the lesson was learned and it got nipped in the bud. But that "individualistic" label has been put on him at times, at least early into his career. Doesn't seem to be an issue so much now and seems to be much more of a team player, both on and off the ice. But probably something that scouts noticed and may also have come out in some combine interviews.

The only issue remaining seems to be his defensive play. He's improved and seems committed to working on the little things and becoming a responsible, "complete" player. But this is a skilled guy who will earn his money on the offensive side of the puck. He needs to be a decent 200ft player (as does every NHLer) but he'll never be a defensive forward. He just needs to be a good enough two-way guy that he doesn't hurt his team. Or score enough that nobody notices. ;) 

This article provides a few a few good quotes from Goldobin regarding what he's learned as a pro, how much he's gained from his AHL time, and where he feels he still needs to improve: http://professionalhockeyplayers.sportsblog.com/posts/11506327/as-good-as-gold--the-story-of-nikolay-goldobin-from-russia-to-the-san-jose-sharks.html

EDIT: laughed the bit at the quote in the article where he says the AHL is a harder league because the players are "angry" whereas the NHL is more about skill

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1