The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

6 years was likely the cost of signing him or not.  I too would have preferred 4 years...

That said, I'd wager he'll turn it around and years 2-4 (at least) and the contract will look less depressing. 

For the record, I wanted Okposo. 

The money was ok but the term was too much. I could live with the term if JB hadn't givin him a full nmc. That's what really sucks about it, way more than the term or amount

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, UticaHockey said:

I don't disagree with that and if the Canucks were a playoff team next year it would make sense for him to be in the NHL if he is contributing.  But I don't think the Canucks will be a playoff team next season and they may be better served by the Leafs model for a rebuild which was signing a number of NHL depth players to short term contracts while keeping the kids down on the farm an extra season.  The Leafs also flipped a lot of these expiring contracts into more draft choices.  Now their rebuild was expedited by winning the lottery in a year that a generational player was available but the bottom line is they had a long term strategy approach and stuck with it.

It was unfortunate that Utica did not have more depth and that the Canucks, as usual, had a raft of injuries. I agree with leaving prospects in the AHL for at least 2 years. and then start playing them for NHL development. By no stretch were the Canucks a playoff team and Utica players could have been rotated through Vancouver to give the players exposure to NHL play. Next year it should be a deeper  wider pool of talent.

18 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

The money was ok but the term was too much. I could live with the term if JB hadn't givin him a full nmc. That's what really sucks about it, way more than the term or amount

Term was the cost of doing business.

NMC isn't for the full term.

I'm not sure if it's just his personality, but Goldobin doesn't really ever seem excited to play hockey, and it's especially noticeable when he scores goals. Contrasting him with Horvat, who is super pumped every time he scores a goal, Goldobin seems to be very unreactive.

It reminds me a bit of Vrbata, who also has had a thing for not reacting much when he scores, so it's not to say that it's a negative sign, seeing as Vrbata has had quite a successful career. Has anyone else noticed this and had any thoughts on it?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure if it's just his personality, but Goldobin doesn't really ever seem excited to play hockey, and it's especially noticeable when he scores goals. Contrasting him with Horvat, who is super pumped every time he scores a goal, Goldobin seems to be very unreactive.

It reminds me a bit of Vrbata, who also has had a thing for not reacting much when he scores, so it's not to say that it's a negative sign, seeing as Vrbata has had quite a successful career. Has anyone else noticed this and had any thoughts on it?

Doesn't seem like that in his interviews, probably just afraid of getting benched. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Doesn't seem like that in his interviews, probably just afraid of getting benched. 

Yep.   Playing in a new environment as a young player under a bad coach who likes to bench you for no reason isn't exactly a situation where you'd be comfortable showing emotion.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yep.   Playing in a new environment as a young player under a bad coach who likes to bench you for no reason isn't exactly a situation where you'd be comfortable showing emotion.

To be fair, he didn't really celebrate in the AHL or OHL either. Perhaps he's not impressed by how easily he can score?

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It was definitely not just with Willie. As TheHitman says below, I noticed it in the AHL as well and that's when it began to stick out for me. Because it happened in both cases, it's reasonable to conclude that it's probably not the coaching or league that's the reason.

16 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

To be fair, he didn't really celebrate in the AHL or OHL either. Perhaps he's not impressed by how easily he can score?

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It was definitely not just with Willie. As TheHitman says below, I noticed it in the AHL as well and that's when it began to stick out for me. Because it happened in both cases, it's reasonable to conclude that it's probably not the coaching or league that's the reason.

Maybe he's a big Don Cherry fan?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

The NMC drops after the 2nd year, NTC after the 4th.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

That's good... but kind of a reverse fail really. With a term of 6 years I look at it like this... he'll still have 4 years left and he's two years older. He's untradeable either way. If it was a 4 year term contract at say 7.5 mill per then his NTC kicks in with just 2 years left. Its more manageable. A 6 year term contract for a 31 year old player is such an anchor, especially for a team trying to transition to more youth. I would have givin' him the NTC only on a 4 year contract. If his agent insisted on 6 then NMC for the first 2 years and that's it. The final 4 years he has no say in a trade. JB needs to always give himself an out when looking at doing fa contracts for players over 30

Edited by two drink minimum

-AJ- :

Maybe he learns from others' mistakes; for example, look at all the negative responses that rained down on Yakupov for his first goal celebration.

Goldobin is exciting to watch and excited to play; I don't understand how you can misread this.

He's super-talented and has swagger and maybe Larionov's taught him to rein in the over-the-top celebration and ego stuff.

I think he'll get more than 20 goals next year whether he plays on the Sedins' line, or Sutter's line, or Bo's, or whatever; if he gets his fair share of ice time, he will score, lots.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Irrelevant, in my opinion. He expects to be a goalscorer/point producer, so it just seems like confidence. Some guys celebrate hard after goals, and some guys are more calm and collected. I'd say he's just calm, not passionless.

Edler is passionless. Goldobin is just relaxed. You can even see it in how he skates.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

That's good... but kind of a reverse fail really. With a term of 6 years I look at it like this... he'll still have 4 years left and he's two years older. He's untradeable either way. If it was a 4 year term contract at say 7.5 mill per then his NTC kicks in with just 2 years left. Its more manageable. A 6 year term contract for a 31 year old player is such an anchor, especially for a team trying to transition to more youth. I would have givin' him the NTC only on a 4 year contract. If his agent insisted on 6 then NMC for the first 2 years and that's it. The final 4 years he has no say in a trade. JB needs to always give himself an out when looking at doing fa contracts for players over 30

We wouldn't have been able to sign him on a 4 year deal. I believe Boston offered 4/5 years and he refused. It was either 6 years or he would have signed elsewhere. Hindsight is 20/20 and given the current circumstances I wouldn't have signed him at all. But at the time he was being touted as the third Sedin so JB make the move. He's still a good player, just not worth $6 million. Every player is tradeable, even David Clarkson and his Goliath contract got traded. I don't think we will be having cap problems any time soon especially if the Sedins are gone after next year so his contract isn't that big of an albatross. Who knows, he could turn it around and score 20 next year and contribute. Time will tell. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Irrelevant, in my opinion. He expects to be a goalscorer/point producer, so it just seems like confidence. Some guys celebrate hard after goals, and some guys are more calm and collected. I'd say he's just calm, not passionless.

Edler is passionless. Goldobin is just relaxed. You can even see it in how he skates.

Boeser is a calm one too