The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

12 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You wouldn't get Sbisa for Gaunce straight up in a trade, imo and that is why LV took the more valuable player.

Vegas hasn't picked up anything for Sbisa yet. Emelin only got a 3rd rounder next year and he's a better Sbisa. 5/6 d-men are not that valuable. Sbisa's value as far as I am concerned is washed due to his contract. McPhee over estimated the value of defensemen, particularly the 3rd pairing kind. He can't even offload Sbisa. He would have been better served with the cheaper depth option in Gaunce instead of grabbing a 3.6 million dollar 5th defencemen that he hoped would get him picks. He did us a huge favor, toughness is overrated when you aren't great at offense or defense. I wouldn't trade Gaunce for Sbisa straight up. Vegas took what they thought was the more valuable player. 

• Upvote 1

I give more credit to McPhee than you do.

The fact that Sbisa hasn't been traded proves little as there is still plenty of time if they don't want to keep him.

Whatever Luca's current market value is, it is greater than Gaunce's value as a guy that can't score and can only hope to land a fourth line spot on the second-worst team in the league.

In a different thread, I put my opinion that Gaunce is in tough to even make the team this year.

He might make it as others are not quite ready and can be sent down without fear of losing them.

I like Gaunce, but he always seems out of place as a hockey player, big but not tough, skilled but ineffective, kinda like Taylor Pyatt.

I would not be surprised if, even if he makes the team and improves his results, he is not traded.

Opinions, we all have, but where LV goes with Luca, and where we go Brendan, will show who has higher value.

For now, we know that at least one (real) NHL GM thinks Sbisa is worth more than Gaunce.

17 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I happen to think Goldobin is the most NHL ready of our prospects, even more so than Boeser. He looked to be toying with the AHL competition late last year.

Most likely they both make the team but 40 games in Utica wouldn't hurt Boeser at all. In my opinion.

Goldy's offensive skills are certainly NHL ready. And that's great and all but from what I saw last year he still has a LOT to work on to get the rest of his game NHL ready.

He needs to increase his pace, puck pressure and attack mainly. He does that on top of his obvious offensive talents and he'll earn a spot on the big club. Otherwise, he's down to Utica until/if he figures that out.

• Upvote 2

Goldy's got everything except 'humbility'.

He's gotta show deferrence to all the players who have already made the team and develop a classy understated celebration.

He's gotta keep his head in the game every second of every shift.

I really think working with the Sedins and playing on their line could be the answer for all 3 of them.

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Goldy's got everything except 'humbility'.

He's gotta show deferrence to all the players who have already made the team and develop a classy understated celebration.

He's gotta keep his head in the game every second of every shift.

I really think working with the Sedins and playing on their line could be the answer for all 3 of them.

Yes would be great a great spot for him.

Humility can't be learned overnight. So he may learn his stature by working with true stars of the game.

The thing with Goldobin is that he's all honey no badger. 

Desperatly want him to take the next step and show the skill with the work ethic on the ice. I think he works hard at his game and strength, but the problem is when he's not scoring he's not providing a lot of other helpful attributes. I'm sure he has gone through some slumps before and had to get out of them. 

The eye test just doesn't make him look like he's trying that hard sometimes, even if he is. That is really the only negative I have with him. Similar to Gaunce in junior, he just looked like he was waiting for the game to come to him a bit too much. Not a bad thing to do, but there is a fine line.

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

We would have lost Hansen in the expansion draft for nothing so yes he is kind of a bonus 

sure we lost sbisa but #5 defenceman should be filled by prospects with cheaper contracts 

They would have found a way to keep Hansen if he made it to the expansion draft. They weren't going to lose him for nothing, and if they did, it would've been very poor asset management.

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Whatever Luca's current market value is, it is greater than Gaunce's value as a guy that can't score and can only hope to land a fourth line spot on the second-worst team in the league.

In a different thread, I put my opinion that Gaunce is in tough to even make the team this year.

He might make it as others are not quite ready and can be sent down without fear of losing them.

I like Gaunce, but he always seems out of place as a hockey player, big but not tough, skilled but ineffective, kinda like Taylor Pyatt.

I would not be surprised if, even if he makes the team and improves his results, he is not traded.

Opinions, we all have, but where LV goes with Luca, and where we go Brendan, will show who has higher value.

For now, we know that at least one (real) NHL GM thinks Sbisa is worth more than Gaunce.

So Gaunce is borderline to make a poor team, and thus will be traded?  If that's true, then he's going to bring nothing back in return and could easily be just waived.  But why after 5 years of development and ONE NHL season would the team suddenly cut bait and abandon ship on him?  Was he really that bad?  Is he a total bust and write-off, simply because he didn't score? 

The scoresheet bias is pretty bad here, and really ignores not only his potential but what Gaunce brings now.  See the same thing with Sutter -- he doesn't put up 40 points so he's a useless bum and should be moved, yet a guy like Goldy has more offensive acumen so he should be gifted a spot on the roster despite his deficiencies.  Are people even watching these guys play and what they bring to the team?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

So Gaunce is borderline to make a poor team, and thus will be traded?  If that's true, then he's going to bring nothing back in return and could easily be just waived.  But why after 5 years of development and ONE NHL season would the team suddenly cut bait and abandon ship on him?  Was he really that bad?  Is he a total bust and write-off, simply because he didn't score? 

The scoresheet bias is pretty bad here, and really ignores not only his potential but what Gaunce brings now.  See the same thing with Sutter -- he doesn't put up 40 points so he's a useless bum and should be moved, yet a guy like Goldy has more offensive acumen so he should be gifted a spot on the roster despite his deficiencies.  Are people even watching these guys play and what they bring to the team?

Over-react much Wink?

I said I like him, you said "a total bust and write-off".

My opinion is that we have a lot of competiton for the 12/13 forward position and he is going to have to perform to get/keep that spot.

I also think that he has considerable trade value and could form part of a decent trade.

I do not think he would clear waivers, that's why I said nothing about sending him down.

I have been watching this team since before they got into the NHL, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

7 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Over-react much Wink?

I said I like him, you said "a total bust and write-off".

My opinion is that we have a lot of competiton for the 12/13 forward position and he is going to have to perform to get/keep that spot.

I also think that he has considerable trade value and could form part of a decent trade.

I do not think he would clear waivers, that's why I said nothing about sending him down.

I have been watching this team since before they got into the NHL, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

You said Gaunce has less value than Sbisa, yet McPhee hasn't been able to move him despite trading better defencemen for relatively little return.  And again, why trade a 23-year-old just breaking into the league after a good first season?  Not only for a rebuilding team, but that makes no sense in any situation.

If I was McPhee, I would have just taken Gaunce.

As we see, he's not bound to get much (anything?) for Sbisa and Gaunce would have been good, young player with leadership who could play bottom 6 and is a nice, controllable RFA.

Both Gaunce and Goldobin will be in tough to stay on the big team. As they should be.

Edited by J.R.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

You said Gaunce has less value than Sbisa, yet McPhee hasn't been able to move him despite trading better defencemen for relatively little return.  And again, why trade a 23-year-old just breaking into the league after a good first season?  Not only for a rebuilding team, but that makes no sense in any situation.

Your first sentence is supposition, I suppose as I do not know what McPhee has tried to do with, nor what his plans are, for Luca, do you?

IMO, Sbisa could be a good 5/6 D-man for Vegas and provide some grit for an expansion team; he is also a good teammate and positive attitude kind of guy.

Again, the relative value between Sbisa and Gaunce is not proven nor established by these first few days since LV acquired Sbisa.

We know for sure that McPhee chose him over Gaunce at an equal opportunity.

Shall we agree to wait past training camp, when the teams have to make their final cuts, to reassess this relative value?

If some movement happens before then, perhaps we will get further information.

Why trade a 23 year-old?  Why trade any asset?

Most often because you prefer the return to the asset(s) given up.

I would trade Gaunce if the return was right, and I think he would make a good addition to a bigger deal.

I think we have a lot of worthy players vying for that 12/13 spot, and if Brendan keeps it and plays even better, we can keep him or we will get even more for him.

19 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Craig button eh. The ex gm? K. 

Traded JS  giguere for a 2mf round pick 

RELEASED Martin st. Louis.

Contrary to what some people believe this guy didn't write the hickey bible. 

So you just because he said this you believe Boeser is better off in Utica like the rest of some fan opinions who want prospects to 'ripen' in the minors.

Boeser is the exception to that group whether you admit or not.

He doesn't need Utica.

• Upvote 1

Goldy is young. Yes he needs to mature at the nhl level. We need to give him the opportunity, let him work through any mistakes he has and let him develop in the nhl.

We dont want to possibly piss him off so deflects to russia. He has proven all he can in the ahl, its time that his new, rebuilding nhl team allows him to develop at the nhl level.

Any other handling of him would be incorrect in my opinion

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, E. Lindros said:

Goldy is young. Yes he needs to mature at the nhl level. We need to give him the opportunity, let him work through any mistakes he has and let him develop in the nhl.

We dont want to possibly piss him off so deflects to russia. He has proven all he can in the ahl, its time that his new, rebuilding nhl team allows him to develop at the nhl level.

Any other handling of him would be incorrect in my opinion

I'm of the opposite opinion. Earn your damn spot and start working harder when you don't have the puck or off to Utica you go until you figure it out.

I don't even coddle my own kids as much as your suggesting.

Edited by J.R.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm of the opposite opinion. Earn your damn spot and start working harder when you don't have the puck or off to Utica you go until you figure it out.

I don't even coddle my own kids as much as your suggesting.

Wouldn't sending him to Utica so he doesn't make mistakes on NHL ice be a stronger form of coddling?

Im with @E. Lindros throw him out there and see if he sinks or swims. 

I noticed a huge lack off swagger at times. He has Markstromitis (when he first entered the league) dominate the AHL and completely come off the rails in the NHL because you're so afraid of making a mistake. Marksy had to play through it and I think this kid needs that same treatment. 

7 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

Wouldn't sending him to Utica so he doesn't make mistakes on NHL ice be a stronger form of coddling?

Im with @E. Lindros throw him out there and see if he sinks or swims. 

I noticed a huge lack off swagger at times. He has Markstromitis (when he first entered the league) dominate the AHL and completely come off the rails in the NHL because you're so afraid of making a mistake. Marksy had to play through it and I think this kid needs that same treatment. 

His problem in the NHL is floating.

No puck pursuit, no attack, no pace, no battle. He can learn those just fine in Utica.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

His problem in the NHL is floating.

No puck pursuit, no attack, no pace, no battle. He can learn those just fine in Utica.

Russians are prone to floating. Heck bure was king of that, damn happy to watch him electrify the crowd offensively.

Dont misread that not comparing bure and goldy!!!!!

Im saying highly offensive skilled players is what our team needs and watching them play with offensive flare is what the fans paying to sttend want to see!

We arent contending for a cup, so ease off the oedal that everyone has to compete and be a two way dynamo or they csnt be on our team.

I pay to watch goldy. Not see ahl fodders or gaunces. They may be complimentary guys but goldy has high skill and thats what we need.

I think alot will come down to having him play with the correct linemates, no not the twins!

Goldy sutter rodin-2way center, rodin if healthy will be a great add to our forwards

Or

Goldy horvat boeser-youth be served