Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

#6 Prospect: Nikolay Goldobin

Left Wing — shoots Left
Born October 7, 1995 — Moscow, Russia
Height 5’11” — Weight 180 lbs [180 cm / 82 kg]
Drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the 1st round, #27 overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Traded to the Vancouver Canucks, February 2017.

Goldobin was aquired from the Canucks at the NHL Trade Deadline. He put up 19 goals and 45 points in the AHL last year, and 3 goals in 14 games in the NHL last season.

Skating

Goldobin is a very good skater. His top end speed and his acceleration are both well above average. He also has outstanding agility and edge work which makes him extremely elusive both off the rush and in the cycle game. His balance could be improved, as he will need to add strength. He can sometimes be knocked off the puck by bigger and stronger defenders, and this also hurts him in his ability to win board battles.

Offensive Game

Goldobin has outstanding offensive skill; there is no doubt about that. He knows how to put up points, and has all the tools to do so. He can stick handle in a phone booth. His wide array of moves can leave defenders spinning. He also has a killer wrist shot, and an outstanding release. Goldobin also has a very effective one-timer. Add to all of this great hockey sense and the ability to find holes in the defense. Top it all of with some incredible vision and passing skils, and there is no doubt about Goldobin’s abilities in the offensive end of the ice.

When he is on his game, he is quite simply a dynamic offensive catalyst. Goldobin can play a high speed game off the rush, or he can show poise with the puck and be patient and wait for an opening in the offensive zone. He does not get flustered often with the puck on his stick, and if he has the time and space out there, chances are that he will take advantage of it.

Defensive Game

Goldobin needs to add strength. He can be knocked off the puck by bigger and stronger players. This also hurts him in his ability to win board battles and protect against the cycle. He also needs to be more consistent in his effort levels in his own end. There are times he works really hard, and there are others when he cheats, looking to create offense. That won’t work at the NHL level.

Outlook

Goldobin has the offensive skills to crack the Canucks lineup, but needs to continue working on his all around game and his consistency. He could start the year in the AHL and find himself being a mid-season call-up due to injuries. He should be a full-time NHLer very soon.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

Goldobin needs to add strength. He can be knocked off the puck by bigger and stronger players. This also hurts him in his ability to win board battles and protect against the cycle. He also needs to be more consistent in his effort levels in his own end. There are times he works really hard, and there are others when he cheats, looking to create offense. That won’t work at the NHL level.

*Ahem*

On 7/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, WeneedLumme said:

I agree with the part that you bolded, but would finish off the sentence with "...unless his offensive production is elite."

I'd say "even if his offensive production is elite." And he hasn't shown he's going to be keeping up with the Kane's, McDavid's, Crosby's, etc. of the league for offensive production, so it's not nearly enough even if he's putting up 50-60 points. I'll welcome the debate if he's putting up a point per game or more though like the actual NHL offensive elite.

They were very soft on his defensive/off the puck effort issues in the piece.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

On 28/07/2017 at 10:50 AM, WeneedLumme said:

I agree with the part that you bolded, but would finish off the sentence with "...unless his offensive production is elite."

His offensive production (or more accurately, skill) is elite... but highly inconsistent. 

I'm with elvis, unless he's putting up top 20'ish, +/- 1ppg scoring, he can't afford to not improve those other aspects of his game. And improving those things will likely also improve his offensive opportunities. 

On 7/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, WeneedLumme said:

I think the problem with this is we don't really see a lot of successful "1-way" forwards who can just play offense and have the team still play successfully. Less and less are we seeing forwards with just offensive ability and more and more are we seeing 2-way forwards throughout a forward group. It's an observation I've had throughout the league. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but perhaps not.

However, in order to have offense you need the puck. In order to have the puck you need to be able to acquire the puck. If you lack the defense to get the puck you have no offense (unless if your entire team can cycle the puck like the Sedins lol).

That being said, I liked Goldobin's first goal for us and I feel that perhaps he should have like... played after?

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think the problem with this is we don't really see a lot of successful "1-way" forwards who can just play offense and have the team still play successfully. Less and less are we seeing forwards with just offensive ability and more and more are we seeing 2-way forwards throughout a forward group. It's an observation I've had throughout the league. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but perhaps not.

However, in order to have offense you need the puck. In order to have the puck you need to be able to acquire the puck. If you lack the defense to get the puck you have no offense (unless if your entire team can cycle the puck like the Sedins lol).

That being said, I liked Goldobin's first goal for us and I feel that perhaps he should have like... played after?

Image result for punish good work meme

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm hoping for him to have chem w Virtanen.

I hope so! I hope that Goldobin and Virtanen both make the team, but it wouldn't surprise me if they both ended up in the AHL to start the season. 

• 4 weeks later...