The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

On his way ti Utica as expected..  

I haven't been sold on Goldobin since the trade. I'm not sure Goldy will ever be what JB hoped he would when he traded Hansen. 

If Godly is not working out for us, I wonder what his trade value would be?  Could he get us a second, like we paid for Vey and Baer?  They were kind of similarly stalled prospects, weren't they?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Godly is not working out for us, I wonder what his trade value would be?  Could he get us a second, like we paid for Vey and Baer?  They were kind of similarly stalled prospects, weren't they?

I doubt he returns a 2nd. 

I don't think he'll get traded unless he's part if a package. He'll likely spend most of  this season in Utica and maybe get couple of call ups  

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I doubt he returns a 2nd. 

I don't think he'll get traded unless he's part if a package. He'll likely spend most of  this season in Utica and maybe get couple of call ups  

I think when we got Vey and Bear they were coming up to waivers.  Next year that will be Goldy.  If he's not making our team by then, maybe we should move him?

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think when we got Vey and Bear they were coming up to waivers.  Next year that will be Goldy.  If he's not making our team by then, maybe we should move him?

If next year he's not making a bottom feeder like ours why would anyone else trade for him? 

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If next year he's not making a bottom feeder like ours why would anyone else trade for him? 

We traded for Vey, and Calgary wasn't exactly a world beater at the time, but Vey had excellent AHL numbers - much like Goldy.  If Vey was worth a second, I see Goldy as worth the same?

He has all the skills in the world but needs to want to use them.   If Cull can have the impact with him that I suspect he can, Goldy remains an elite prospect.   

Look at it this way, it has been a long time since the Vancouver Canucks had an offensive talent like that sitting in the AHL.    

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We traded for Vey, and Calgary wasn't exactly a world beater at the time, but Vey had excellent AHL numbers - much like Goldy.  If Vey was worth a second, I see Goldy as worth the same?

We got Vey from LAK not CGY.

Although I see the offensive potential in Goldobin and I still think the Canucks should try everything possible to give him a fair shot in the big league next year, I do recognize that he needs to put in a little more effort on the defensive side this year. Could be a great thing to learn in Utica with Cull.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, TimberWolf said:

Fun trying to come up with nicknames but the players themselves are always unoriginal as hell

Cooke was Cookie

Naslund was Nazzy

Goldobin will be Goldy

Though if he's scrappy I would name him Mini Goldthorpe 

NONE shall top "Vlad the Inhaler" (may he rest in peace).

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has all the skills in the world but needs to want to use them.   If Cull can have the impact with him that I suspect he can, Goldy remains an elite prospect.   

Look at it this way, it has been a long time since the Vancouver Canucks had an offensive talent like that sitting in the AHL.    

Said it before, say it again...

May be our most offensively skilled prospect. As much or perhaps more so than either Pettersson or Boeser. But he also floats, lacks puck pursuit/battle, doesn't go to dirty areas, needs to get stronger etc, etc.

If he can round out those parts of his game, he'll be a good NHL'er, maybe even great.

If he can't, he's a lotto ticket that didn't turn out.

• Upvote 1

Goldobin's been in the system less than a year, doesn't make the team at his first Canucks camp and people want to trade him for a second rounder? I saw people on reddit compare his situation to Shinks. One poster who may or not also be on here (y2kcanucks) asked why we bothered trading Hansen for Goldy when we could've just kept Shinkaruk.

He said 

Didn't we have that with Shinkaruk? Why not just keep Shinkaruk and deal Hansen for something good?

and

Goldobin already has 119 games in the AHL. If he hasn't figured it out by now it's unlikely he ever will.

With all due respect, that viewpoint is idiotic. The Shink/Grandlund trade happened over a year before we got Goldy. Hansen was over 30 and we would've exposed him in the expansion draft anyway if 'something good' didn't come up, and we also got a pick with Goldy that turned into Palmu who looks good. Shink was drafted a year earlier so required waivers this year, while Goldy is still waiver exempt. Goldy may have 119 GP (with a PPG of 0.8) but Shink has 188 GP with a PPG of 0.62. 

So Goldy is younger, waiver exempt, higher PPG in the AHL. 

I'll take Goldy, Palmu, and Grandlund over Shink and an nonexistent/'better' Hansen trade. Or maybe a 'better' Hansen trade doesn't happen and we lose him for nothing in expansion, or keep him and still have a 31 year old Hansen on the roster with depreciating value.

• Upvote 2

Just now, J.R. said:

Said it before, say it again...

May be our most offensively skilled prospect. As much or perhaps more so than either Pettersson or Boeser. But he also floats, lacks puck pursuit/battle, doesn't go to dirty areas, needs to get stronger etc, etc.

If he can round out those parts of his game, he'll be a good NHL'er, maybe even great.

If he can't, he's a lotto ticket that didn't turn out.

From the film that many have posted links to here and some of the latter day Panther games I saw, the Canucks should hire Pavel Bure to come and spend a month with Goldobin and teach him about bringing a strong effort every night.   I don't remember seeing Bure float when I saw him play on one leg in Florida when I was a young fella and I doubt any of the older Canuck fans ever though he "floated".   Having elite skill is only good if you apply yourself.

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I like Goaldy. So he doesn't play D neither have the Sedins for the last decade. He plays O really well. See what the lil brat can do in this mean nothing season I bet if he played 15 mins average and got some pp time he would out score the Sedins

The Sedins played respectable D for the better part of the last decade. I'll agree they aren't doing well at it now though.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I like Goaldy. So he doesn't play D neither have the Sedins for the last decade. He plays O really well. See what the lil brat can do in this mean nothing season I bet if he played 15 mins average and got some pp time he would out score the Sedins

I like Goldy, but if he's not gonna play D, he better light up the scoresheet with skill or at least show flashes with his limited ice time.

Didn't see him do any of those. Just floating.

Sedins on the other hand were Art Ross winners. Let's be honest, Goldy's ceiling is lower than that.

Edited by nuck7635
  • Upvote 1

I've done the research. 0 players who produced at a similar rate to Goldobin last year went on to play a full year in the NHL the following year. It is 100% normal for him to be going up and down this year. Cull needs to get him to the next level though. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Kane. said:

Not a make it or break it year for Goldobin, but he's definitely got to step it up. He's almost 22 and most skilled guys like him have proven something in the NHL by then. 

Agreed, he has to step it up.  I think he will in Utica for the most part.  He might just be one of those guys who needs responsible line mates to shine though.  At some point we're going to have to stop coaching the talent out of these kids and turning potential 70+ point wingers in to 35 point 2 way players.

Also, hey man...nice sig for 4th overall baby!