The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

I said it all along last season, Goldy has the offensive skills and on ice smarts to be a dominant player.  

Still its the work ethic that needs to catch up to that skill. 

For a guy who is meant to be an offensive dynamo, he cannot afford to take shifts off, he needs, and we need him to be a constant threat offensively.  The last 10 games showed, that when the puck was on his stick, he could be extremely dangerous and the level of creativity in his game just makes you salivate. 

• Upvote 1

At the end of the season, there was a lot of 'that was goldys best game of the season by far' except it kept happening game after game. I think he's going to steal that LW position with Brock and Bo by Christmas, and Baer may be on the outside looking in, if EP takes that 2nd line spot 

Goldobin has top 6 talent to play on any team in the league.   If he can develop an attitude and commitment to realizing that talent on a nightly basis, he could be the single biggest steal of a deal made by the Canucks up against the Naslund trade.   If he tries to get by on that talent alone, he will be a footnote to a trivia question among die-hard fans in a decade.   

All is in his corner.   Training camp/exhibition games will be first indication if he understands this as well as I am positive his agent/mentor Igor does.

• Cheers 2

Markus Naslund put up 52 points in 66 games (might've been as a result of playing with Mario and/or Jagr, I didn't follow the team then so I don't know...) in the season prior to being dealt, so it's not like there wasn't actual essentially 1st liner NHL production that you put up once.  Goldy has shown flashes but nothing like even the inconsistant Nazzy shown as a Pen.  Course, Goldy is only 22 so he's still got time on his side.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good to hear that Goldy is focused. I think he's going to really surprise a lot of people this season. Highly doubt that Benning would trade away a player with talent like Goldobin when there are lesser players that could be traded.

It would be great if he could put his game together, and be consistent. He has a lot of skill. Good to hear he's training hard. I wasn't sure where Goldobin fit, after the three UFA signings, but maybe he steals a spot in the Top 6? He's not a bottom 6 player, so this is his big chance (camp) to prove to Green that he belongs. Seize the day Nikolay.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We have to make a spot for Goldy. I think he showed at the end of the year last year that he deserves to be on this team, and sounds like he could be our ticket to bring back Big Tryamkin.

He'll have to prove it again this coming training camp. I think he will. As far as Tryamkin is concerned, he'll play out his contract with Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg first, and then come back. I'm sure that having a fellow comrade on the team, especially one who is as fluent in English as Goldy is, would be beneficial and enticing. That being said, Tryamkin will still have to earn it once he's back.

Man if the golden goblin can pot 25+ goals then thank you Jannik Hansen.  Always saw him more of a playmaker and probably one of the better passers on the team.  He should slot in nicely on the 2nd/3rd line and on one of the PP's.

He's got to actually show up this fall. No more 'potential'.

If he can do that, I think he'll get every opportunity at 1LW.

Goldobin, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen

Schaller(IR?)/Leipsic, Beagle, Granlund

Gagner, Leipsic

*Bolded can all move up/down the lineup.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Who are the 11 or 12 that are ahead of goldobin?

bo, brock, baer, sutts, ericksson, beagle, schaller, roussel, virtanen, pettersson and gaudette.  i really like leipsic too. 

i'm still not sold on goldy. nice offensive instincts but doesn't play with consistency. i'm waiting for him to prove me wrong.

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

bo, brock, baer, sutts, ericksson, beagle, schaller, roussel, virtanen, pettersson and gaudette.  i really like leipsic too. 

i'm still not sold on goldy. nice offensive instincts but doesn't play with consistency. i'm waiting for him to prove me wrong.

Off topic but I love the picture on your posts.  That is my favorite line in Canuck's history,  I  was in college when they started out.  I was so sad when they sent Fraser to the Blackhawks..  :)

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i have goldy as the 12th or 13th forward. beating out, leipsic, gagner, gaunce, granlund, archibald, boucher and motte.

training camp has not yet taken place

dahlen has a ton of potential

and has a real chance to show his worth

i would not be surprised if he shows as much or more then goldy

the team needs a quality left winger who is consistent

dahlen has consistency as part of his game

Edited by coastal.view