The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

How does this kill any argument that Willie's approach does actually work for some players? You just gave an example of how it might not be working for one particular player, but that does not mean it is not working for others. There is a good chance that some players respond positively towards his "rough love" style, just as it is likely that some take it negatively. 

With that said, a good coach should recognize what every individual player responds best towards and should coach them accordingly. If WD doesn't have the ability to alter his approach in order to get the best out of every player's potential, then we need another guy.

I say that because a perfect example is Horvat. Willie type of guy good character always plays hard makes an effort in the d zone as a 2 way guy.

Yet he wanted him to be a third line checker and was surprised he had more offensive upside than he thought he did.

Even with a breakout year he still doesn't trust Horvat in big game situations. For example he puts on the Sedins and Sutter with Chaput for most of the year on the pp or when they need a goal rather than Horvat and his line.

Then he benched Baertschi for taking a shot on a 2 on 1 shorthanded vs the Jets and missing wide and getting caught. This led to a goal. 

Baertchi was benched for the full final 5 minutes. Despite being one of the few guy who are creating offensively.

He keeps shoving out Edler and Tanev on the pp despite the fact the kids unit has been more dangerous with Horvat.

It goes on and on. The guy inspires no confidence behind the bench with his demeanor. Always twitching to bench a guy for trying to make a play happen if it exposes them defensively even a little.

11 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I say that because a perfect example is Horvat. Willie type of guy good character always plays hard makes an effort in the d zone as a 2 way guy.

Yet he wanted him to be a third line checker and was surprised he had more offensive upside than he thought he did.

Even with a breakout year he still doesn't trust Horvat in big game situations. For example he puts on the Sedins and Sutter with Chaput for most of the year on the pp or when they need a goal rather than Horvat and his line.

Then he benched Baertschi for taking a shot on a 2 on 1 shorthanded vs the Jets and missing wide and getting caught. This led to a goal. 

Baertchi was benched for the full final 5 minutes. Despite being one of the few guy who are creating offensively.

He keeps shoving out Edler and Tanev on the pp despite the fact the kids unit has been more dangerous with Horvat.

It goes on and on. The guy inspires no confidence behind the bench with his demeanor. Always twitching to bench a guy for trying to make a play happen if it exposes them defensively even a little.

All too true King.  I see Willie as absolutely showing (sadly) a double standard.  The Twins are now turn over machines, yet they continue to get preferred ice time.  Willie won't even split them up!  The young guys must feel this unfairness.  

• Upvote 1

I agree with that, the twins should let the coach play younger guys at this point and tell him too!

Most UFA's never want to come here unless they get paid big money like Erikkson did as they would not be on the first line and as we have seen this year and last we could have used others

I say break the vets up and trade all that we can even if the draft is not as good, we could take young players like we did with goldobin and Dahlin!

The Wild have many youngsters and same with the jets, perfect teams to trade with and pay half salaries to get us better in two years!

^^ Pretty stupid signature IMO. The very thought that you assume people are married is very offensive. LOL.

Does anyone know if Goldobin has receive any PP time at all? Why have him on the roster if he hasn't? Tired of the square pegs in round holes around Vancouver.

WHY NOT PUT OFFENSIVE PLAYERS IN OFFENSIVE ROLES? If we lose, ok we tried. Goldy playing a checking role is laughable. Not interested in watching this team when Chaput-meonthebench is playing with the Sedins. What in the sweet flying!?

4 minutes ago, Western Red said:

^^ Pretty stupid signature IMO. The very thought that you assume people are married is very offensive. LOL.

Does anyone know if Goldobin has receive any PP time at all? Why have him on the roster if he hasn't? Tired of the square pegs in round holes around Vancouver.

WHY NOT PUT OFFENSIVE PLAYERS IN OFFENSIVE ROLES? If we lose, ok we tried. Goldy playing a checking role is laughable. Not interested in watching this team when Chaput-meonthebench is playing with the Sedins. What in the sweet flying!?

This is exactly why WD needs to go even though I think he's done a good job developing a lot of players.

Look at Boeser, he made a living ripping one timers on the pp from the left point and of course they don't try that, even though we have one of the worst pps in the league.

Never tried Virtanen there either or on the left half wall even though he did the same in Jr. and scored in pre season on the pp from a snipe there. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Never tried Virtanen there either or on the left half wall even though he did the same in Jr. and scored in pre season on the pp from a snipe there. 

You mean where he scored twice from yesterday in Utica?

• Upvote 3

If Goldy is not getting his ice time, not getting his proper role, not getting his confidence, by all means send him to Utica.

Put him on a line with Virtanen and develop some chemistry in some meaningful games during the play-off push.

Surround your talent with talent. How hard is this concept to grasp for JB?:angry:

Watching WD coach young kids is like watching paint dry... on the wrong wall...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Byrix said:

You mean where he scored twice from yesterday in Utica?

Yeah, it's pretty clear if they want him to score he's going to have to play left wing.... Not sure why they can't just play players to their strengths. Who cares if it might sacrifice a little defense when er can't score a &^@#ing goal.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Yeah, it's pretty clear if they want him to score he's going to have to play left wing.... Not sure why they can't just play players to their strengths. Who cares if it might sacrifice a little defense when er can't score a &^@#ing goal.

This regime seem to be stuck on playing players on their so called natural side.  Virtanen scored a lot on the Left Wing as a right hander in junior.  Now they're playing the left shooting Goldobin on the left side when he prefers Right Wing.  

Now, I get that with the injuries and lineup they're running at the moment, they're just happy enough to fill all the positions.

18 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This regime seem to be stuck on playing players on their so called natural side.  Virtanen scored a lot on the Left Wing as a right hander in junior.  Now they're playing the left shooting Goldobin on the left side when he prefers Right Wing.  

Now, I get that with the injuries and lineup they're running at the moment, they're just happy enough to fill all the positions.

Yeah and I think they want them on their natural wings because it's a lot easier on the break out and defensively. I understand that for most players, but not for goal scorers like Virtanen who make a living ripping down their offside and sniping shots just like Ovi. That's why he was drafted 6th overall.

i made a topic about this a long time ago. Virtanen also scored pretty much all his goals from the left side at the world jrs too. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Western Red said:

I thought he was referring to the people on this board who are married.  Guys just thrilled that his wife is a Canuck fan.  I thought it was a nice gesture.

Imo, Goldobin should be playing in Utica. 

16 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Can't believe he's not in the lineup against his old team. If you're not going to play him, send him down to Utica where he can play it minutes in meaningful games as they push for a playoff spot. 

He should have been in Utica a week ago IMHO. Bachman as well. Gartieg could be backing Miller. Demko could be given a break using Bachman.

• Upvote 3

I understand he's a professional but can you really expect 'engaged' when the kid has been jerked around since hes been here? Score = bench. Get sick, come back, play 6 minutes. Watch Boeser get rock star treatment. Doesnt dress against his old club (who Im sure he would have loved to play against) but can play on the road?Why would he feel like he matters? This kid will leave to khl for sure with this kind of treatment.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

He should have been in Utica a week ago IMHO. Bachman as well. Gartieg could be backing Miller. Demko could be given a break using Bachman.

Agreed.  Utica's run to the playoffs is far more important than what the Canucks are currently doing.  Both players could help out the Comets and get more playing time as well.

• Upvote 1