The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Jarome Iginla to Kings for conditional 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The Kings' structure is not a speed game. So veterans who have slowed down to the point of being virtually useless on a speed-built team can actually fit in and contribute in LA.

For proof, look no further than Vincent Lecavalier last season.

This. The Sedins would be awesome there I bet.

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Compared to the other deals this week we made out like bandits imo. 

Definitely. Big credit to JB for learning from previous experience and making sure he got out ahead of the TDL this year.

I know it's controversial to say this (for some on here anyway) but I think it's clear that a Benning waited too long on Hamhuis (as far as securing lists and clause waive) and likely missed out on deals in the weeks leading to the TDL.

This time around, he made his big moves before deadline day, when the market has shown the value is far better. And according to some sources, Benning was working on these deals for a couple weeks (especially with Burrows).

The returns we're seeing during today's final frenzy show how quickly the market shifts on deadline day. In the weeks leading up, seller GMs have more power (at least when they have attractive assets) because the contenders want to get a jump in the playoff "arms race" and secure the choice pieces available. Once we hit TDL, sellers are facing down a window that's quickly closing and feel pressure to get something/anything rather than lose assets for nothing. And the buyers use this pressure to their full advantage.

It's been a recent trend but seems to be the way today's deadline market plays out. And based on what we're seeing (with the returns on players moving today versus the over the past week), Benning deserves credit for recognizing this and playing these market trends to full advantage in TDL 2017.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

Am I the only one surprised the Flames didn't try and make a move for him? Might have been the fire the Flames needed to get the young guys some playoff noise going.. I can still see Iginla playing for the Flames b4 he retires

Just what I was going to add to the thread.  Why not? If they could get him for peanuts, sign him to a contract that would be a fraction of what they had to pay him in his prime. He'd get to end his career as a Flame. Help as a role model to the younger prospects. And then he'd be welcomed to remain in the organization after that I'm sure.

Oh well too late.

2 hours ago, Spoosh said:

Vrbata's just been pulled off the ice on practice, maybe he'll join Iggy...

Almost two hours past the deadline and no trade.  Eklund had up "first 1st-round pick gets him!" this morning yet Purrbata can't even return a saucer of milk.

More JB exculpation.

10 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Watch Quick play lights out and Iggy scores the GWG to win the Cup. Also didn't he win the Cup when he was in Boston and faced us in 2011? I swear he was part of that team.maybe not

No he wasn't on that Boston team.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jarome Iginla will wear #88 with the Los Angeles Kings, the first player in franchise history to do so.

Marian Gaborik wears Iginla's signature #12.

Iggy being sentimental and choosing his age as his number.

18 hours ago, Rush17 said:

his last kick at the can.  I swear jagr is on trt to keep playing like he is at 45. I want an investigation lllol 

A lot of it really depends on playstyle/injuries/exercise routine. Jagr was never an overly physical player, is big enough that he rarely gets rocked, and probably doesn't overdo it with training that's especially hard on the joints (strength training) however he is huge and skating while being enormous is usually very hard in your knees, so I do agree that from that perspective he has really defied all odds.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Iggy wishes he chose another team to play for instead. Kings have been free falling in the standings lately at the wrong time and have lost in regulation against teams they need to beat in regulation. 3 goals in 9 games played is pretty good but ever since the deadline, the Kings haven't been playing the same

Archived