The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lack of interest in Miller good for Canucks

nickels

The apparent lack of interest in Miller by any of the teams he would be interested in playing for, should be considered good news for the team in resigning Miller in the off season.

IMO we greatly overpaid for Miller when there was basically no competition for his services.

He is obviously looked upon as a back up by all of the West coast teams that he would have interest in playing for.

IMO we should be able to pay him accordingly.

I have never been a fan of Jacob Markstrom, and don't feel he is a #1 goalie in this league.

Getting Miller to re up at a discount around 3-3.5/yr would be a good move for the team, and bridge the gap till Demko is a viable replacement.

What is the minimum  Miller would want for 1-2 yrs more in a Canuck uni.?

See LA as the only other option...but he would clearly be a #2 there, and not be paid anymore than 2.5/3 to do so.

He could still be a valuable trade chip if one of the West coast teams sustains a goaltender injury.

I'd say the Canucks should re-sign Miller as long as he wants to be here, and is understanding that he won't be winning a cup in VanCity. Ideally he'd sign for 1 year, allowing Markstrom about 70% of the starts next season. The following season, we would sign a UFA G and bring up Demko the next year. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm all for resigning Miller. It seems as though Markstrom may have topped out as a solid NHL backup, and we need someone to bridge the gap while Demko fine tunes his game in the AHL.

I wouldn't say that until he is given more than once in a while games

I don't necessarily think it was the lack of interest for why he did not get traded. The current situation of Markstrom being out with an injury could be part of the reason. As well as, Jim Benning may have not been happy with the offers he was recieving. I don't really mind keeping Miller, and re-signing him in the off-season for a year or two. He has been great for us, and it will benefit Markstrom. But I would like to see a 50-50 split between Miller and Markstrom, or Markstrom getting more games, if we do re-sign Miller.

Miller has been pretty good this year. I'd expect him to ask for at least $4.5 for one or two seasons. He might even as for $5M. You also have to consider the inflation of NHL salaries over time and realize that a $6M contract three years ago is not the same as it is today.

5 minutes ago, nickels said:

Not sure that is a real good match for the player or the expansion team

They will be just as competitive as staying here, he goes to Vegas for some excitement and is only a short distance from home.  Sounds like a pretty good option to me

Just now, ajhockey said:

Miller has been pretty good this year. I'd expect him to ask for at least $4.5 for one or two seasons. He might even as for $5M. You also have to consider the inflation of NHL salaries over time and realize that a $6M contract three years ago is not the same as it is today.

Think 4.5-5 would be an over payment in a very saturated goalie market.

Most I'd offer is 3.5 x 2...no one else offers him more than that.

Fleury or Murray, Darling, Bishop all looking for a new team

Take advantage of an enviable position/lack of demand.

As I mentioned...think way overpaid his first contract.

Just now, nickels said:

Think 4.5-5 would be an over payment in a very saturated goalie market.

Most I'd offer is 3.5 x 2...no one else offers him more than that.

Fleury or Murray, Darling, Bishop all looking for a new team

Take advantage of an enviable position/lack of demand.

As I mentioned...think way overpaid his first contract.

Not saying that we should go with what he demands, just guessing at what he'd want, in which case we wouldn't come to terms and thus part ways.

16 minutes ago, nickels said:

The apparent lack of interest in Miller by any of the teams he would be interested in playing for,

Just because he wasn't traded doesn't mean there wasn't interest.  JB did state that he was interested in re-signing Miller so it may have taken an exceptional offer to trigger a deal.

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

They will be just as competitive as staying here, he goes to Vegas for some excitement and is only a short distance from home.  Sounds like a pretty good option to me

I think our d will be a little more enviable to play behind than the group they assemble in LV.

Don't think Miller is the type to just show up to collect a check. 

Too old to be peppered with 45 shots a nite.

We are living on borrowed time with Miller. Therefore we need to extend him yearly. Give him his 6m, who cares. We just need to be able to have flexibility with this fluid situation. At his age he could come complete off the rails over the summer. Also, is he interested in playing on a rebuilding team? Would he take less money to be part of a Stanley cup contending tandem? 

I would be all for re-signing Miller, and having him as our goalie. I am also a big fan of what Benning has done as a GM, except for the Virtanen pick and the Markstrom signing. And this is where the Markstrom signing just looks ridiculous. Miller will not be taking less than Markstrom, he is a better goalie now and is a more proven goaltender. And so having both on the team would be expensive, and why I think a Markstrom extension at 2x2M would have made way more sense. 

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't necessarily think it was the lack of interest for why he did not get traded. The current situation of Markstrom being out with an injury could be part of the reason. As well as, Jim Benning may have not been happy with the offers he was recieving. I don't really mind keeping Miller, and re-signing him in the off-season for a year or two. He has been great for us, and it will benefit Markstrom. But I would like to see a 50-50 split between Miller and Markstrom, or Markstrom getting more games, if we do re-sign Miller.

I completely agree with this entire post. I would only add that I feel like Miller wasn't overly keen on moving and had a very limited list (AKA Cali or bust).

I'm not privy to what happens behind closed doors but sometimes I question whether Marky is ready to be a No 1 goalie.  Some nights he shines and others  not so bright. Maybe cause he doesn't get to play enough I don't know but  I have often wondered why he doesn't get more starts.

Would be happy to see Miller resigned for less money and short term - no more then 2 years and think that could be a gamble as well

Archived