The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lack of interest in Miller good for Canucks

nickels

I would like Miller and  Markstrom to evenly split the remaining starts . It should make it apparent if we should resign Miller. I think Markstrom has got the short end of the stick this season and given more playing time his stats would be better.

I'm sure it's me, but for the life of me, I don't understand what realistic team goal (pun intended) the Canucks would want to achieve that will justify signing Miller to a contract greater than 3 million dollars and giving him close to 50% of the starts? Are we all of a sudden a playoff team because of these acquisitions? A lot of pundits say that Goldie still needs to improve the D aspect of his game and is probably still a year away on a decent team and Dahlen is 2 years away. Do the Canucks really think that Markstrom still needs to be mentored a lot more?

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm sure it's me, but for the life of me, I don't understand what realistic team goal (pun intended) the Canucks would want to achieve that will justify signing Miller to a contract greater than 3 million dollars and giving him close to 50% of the starts? Are we all of a sudden a playoff team because of these acquisitions? A lot of pundits say that Goldie still needs to improve the D aspect of his game and is probably still a year away on a decent team and Dahlen is 2 years away. Do the Canucks really think that Markstrom still needs to be mentored a lot more?

I think more the issue might be moving away from Markstrom either by exposing him to Vegas or via trade and then bring a young goalie up and try him at backup. I think it is very telling that at the point in the season where they throw in the towel and trade Burrows and Hansen for prospects that they still started Miller in goal last night. Signal the season is over yet Markstrom still sits hmmm...

45 minutes ago, nickels said:

I think our d will be a little more enviable to play behind than the group they assemble in LV.

Don't think Miller is the type to just show up to collect a check. 

Too old to be peppered with 45 shots a nite.

There will be a TON of quality defensemen exposed in the expansion draft with most teams only protecting 3.  Vegas' problem will be scoring, not defense.

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I think more the issue might be moving away from Markstrom either by exposing him to Vegas or via trade and then bring a young goalie up and try him at backup. I think it is very telling that at the point in the season where they throw in the towel and trade Burrows and Hansen for prospects that they still started Miller in goal last night. Signal the season is over yet Markstrom still sits hmmm...

Or Markstrom is a lot more hurt than they're letting on. 

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There will be a TON of quality defensemen exposed in the expansion draft with most teams only protecting 3.  Vegas' problem will be scoring, not defense.

So Vegas's D will be as good as ?

Edler   Stetcher

Trymak  Tanev

Hutton    Gudbranson

Sbisa ?

Juolevi

Would luv to see all those #4 Dmen that match up w/this group

1 minute ago, nickels said:

So Vegas's D will be as good as ?

Edler   Stetcher

Trymak  Tanev

Hutton    Gudbranson

Sbisa ?

Juolevi

Would luv to see all those #4 Dmen that match up w/this group

Edler and Tanev are a second pairing on a strong team.  We'll  probamly lose Sbisa to Vegas without making a move, and they'll have pretty good depth.  Our D usually gets rocked pretty hard by injuries.  Vegas' D won't be outstanding, but it will be solid and deep.

7 minutes ago, nickels said:

having Vegas take Sbisa and his contract can hardly be looked upon as a net "Loss"...we will likely be the team least hurt by the expansion draft.

Sbisa's contract is very reasonable given the improvement he showed this season.

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Clearly you don't watch many games if you think losing Sbisa for nothing is a win. 

Sbisa can easily be replaced (although we don't need to) for 3.6 million dollars.

rather have the cap space  and give one of the young guys his minutes

1 minute ago, nickels said:

Sbisa can easily be replaced (although we don't need to) for 3.6 million dollars.

rather have the cap space  and give one of the young guys his minutes

Like who? Biega? Subban? Mceneny? Sbisa has been arguably our best defensive defenseman this year. How will any of those mentioned be able to replace him adequately?

8 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Like who? Biega? Subban? Mceneny? Sbisa has been arguably our best defensive defenseman this year. How will any of those mentioned be able to replace him adequately?

Left side of Edler, Trymakin and Hutton w/Juolevi/McEneny behind them

Right side of Tanev Stetcher Gudbranson w/Biega Subban Pedan behind them

Plus an additional 3.6 in cap space to help with offense.

Real devastating loss if Vegas claims Sbisa...

Archived