nickels

Lack of interest in Miller good for Canucks

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

If management don't plan on re-signing Miller, hope that he signs with Vegas before the expansion draft.  Problem solved - that would count as their player picked from our team, and we wouldn't lose Sbisa, Gaunce, or whomever else we expose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Both Miller and Markstrom have similar records and performances this year. As a result, WD is somewhat forced to play the goalie that is getting paid twice as much.

If he doesn't play him, it makes the Miller signing look bad and therefore makes JB look bad. Politics does come in play here...even though no one will admit to it.

I don't believe what Miller makes has anything to do with goalie selection.  Willie plays the guy who he thinks can win.  Same goes for every other player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't believe what Miller makes has anything to do with goalie selection.  Willie plays the guy who he thinks can win.  Same goes for every other player.

Disagree...his deployment with players has been suspect and questionable at times...I believe there is a small part that comes into play here, when it comes to big money contracts. It might not be the biggest factor, but it is a factor nonetheless. (just my opinion, when it comes to running a business and being accountable to your managers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Agoork said:

If management don't plan on re-signing Miller, hope that he signs with Vegas before the expansion draft.  Problem solved - that would count as their player picked from our team, and we wouldn't lose Sbisa, Gaunce, or whomever else we expose.

Vegas could also get either Fleury or Murray from the Penguins depending on who they expose. They are both better and younger than Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't necessarily think it was the lack of interest for why he did not get traded. The current situation of Markstrom being out with an injury could be part of the reason. As well as, Jim Benning may have not been happy with the offers he was recieving. I don't really mind keeping Miller, and re-signing him in the off-season for a year or two. He has been great for us, and it will benefit Markstrom. But I would like to see a 50-50 split between Miller and Markstrom, or Markstrom getting more games, if we do re-sign Miller.

My thoughts as well.

From what I was reading quite a few teams were interested in Miller - the price was likely too low to justify leaving the goaltending load to Marky and whomever else they figured could fill the void.

If Miller wants to be here, he's a good stop gap until Demko is ready.

Marky has shown some flashes, but his ability to carry the full load is still in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, nickels said:

The apparent lack of interest in Miller by any of the teams he would be interested in playing for, should be considered good news for the team in resigning Miller in the off season.

 

IMO we greatly overpaid for Miller when there was basically no competition for his services.

 

He is obviously looked upon as a back up by all of the West coast teams that he would have interest in playing for.

 

IMO we should be able to pay him accordingly.

I have never been a fan of Jacob Markstrom, and don't feel he is a #1 goalie in this league.

 

Getting Miller to re up at a discount around 3-3.5/yr would be a good move for the team, and bridge the gap till Demko is a viable replacement.

 

What is the minimum  Miller would want for 1-2 yrs more in a Canuck uni.?

 

See LA as the only other option...but he would clearly be a #2 there, and not be paid anymore than 2.5/3 to do so.

 

He could still be a valuable trade chip if one of the West coast teams sustains a goaltender injury.

Really, so just because he wasn't traded = lack of interest?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, his play when he was in St Louis...the Blues were a cup contender at the time, they brought in Miller to win the cup...Miller crapped the bed...big time.

Take a look at his numbers in Buffalo (a crappy team) that season prior to the trade and then on a crappy Vancouver team the following year. St Louis traded for Miller because both of their goalies had been struggling from Feb through to the trade deadline. I don't think goaltending was really the problem there at the time.

 

13/14 Buffalo - 40 gp - .923 S%

13/14 St Louis - 18 gp - .903 S%

14/15 Vancouver - 45 gp - .911 S%

 

Still waiting for some form of evidence no other team was interested in Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Take a look at his numbers in Buffalo (a crappy team) that season prior to the trade and then on a crappy Vancouver team the following year. St Louis traded for Miller because both of their goalies had been struggling from Feb through to the trade deadline. I don't think goaltending was really the problem there at the time.

 

13/14 Buffalo - 40 gp - .923 S%

13/14 St Louis - 18 gp - .903 S%

14/15 Vancouver - 45 gp - .911 S%

 

Still waiting for some form of evidence no other team was interested in Miller.

Judging from Benning's "no comment" when asked about Miller i think there was some interest for sure but not worthwhile proposals for the Canucks interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Westcoasting said:

Judging from Benning's "no comment" when asked about Miller i think there was some interest for sure but not worthwhile proposals for the Canucks interest.

Or it was teams calling that weren't on his list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Miller's performance as a Canuck at $6M per year.

 

Year 1 - played first half of year, was over played, got hurt and did not play the second half of the year. Lack got us into the playoffs playing the pressure games down the stretch drive.

 

Year 2 - Canucks finished 3rd from last. Bad year for the team...Miller was not great.

 

Year 3 - Canucks will finish 3rd or 4th from last...Miller played as well as Markstrom...average play.

 

Miller was brought in to help make the team compete for a playoff spot. The goal at the start was to make the playoffs every year so that the players would get valuable experience playing in the playoffs (Player development). Only one year did the Canucks make the playoffs when Miller was on the roster; and the same year, Miller was hurt for the last half of the year. He didn't even play when it mattered.

At $6 M per year, Miller was a bad signing. (At the time, no one was interested in Miller because of his poor play with St Louis, yet JB paid him $6 M and gave him a modified NTC) The Canucks would have been much better off signing 2 UFA defencemen in year one of JB's tenure when there was a lot of UFA defencemen available and not sign Miller. The money for Miller would have gone to the defencemen and Markstrom and Lack would have been our goalies. The result would not have been any worst than with Miller. In fact, it might have been better with the improved D...rather than playing Weber, Bartkowski and other inexperienced "D" instead.

 

As an avid follower of the Canucks, the "D" was the obvious achillies heel of the Canucks before and when JB took over the reigns. What did he do? He got rid of Garrison and did not replace him with the same or better quality.

Signing Miller at $6 M per year is a failure on JB's record as GM IMHO.

 

 

 

 

I never liked the Miller move. Not because of his abilities, but because it meant the team was hoping to boringly defend their way into the play-offs. Look how that turned out and what Picks were surrendered as a result. That one play-off series with Calgary probably cost us a superstar pick. Moving forward, I don't see a resigning unless his salary is reduced. I suspect JB will push for one or two more years in hopes the team can turn the corner and make some noise during the Sedins' contract year. I might all come nicely together next season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wouldn't commit more than 3-3.5 / season to him.

There are more goalies available than there is demand. at 4+ i'd rather take Halak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nickels said:

The apparent lack of interest in Miller by any of the teams he would be interested in playing for, should be considered good news for the team in resigning Miller in the off season.

 

IMO we greatly overpaid for Miller when there was basically no competition for his services.

 

He is obviously looked upon as a back up by all of the West coast teams that he would have interest in playing for.

 

IMO we should be able to pay him accordingly.

I have never been a fan of Jacob Markstrom, and don't feel he is a #1 goalie in this league.

 

Getting Miller to re up at a discount around 3-3.5/yr would be a good move for the team, and bridge the gap till Demko is a viable replacement.

 

What is the minimum  Miller would want for 1-2 yrs more in a Canuck uni.?

 

See LA as the only other option...but he would clearly be a #2 there, and not be paid anymore than 2.5/3 to do so.

 

He could still be a valuable trade chip if one of the West coast teams sustains a goaltender injury.

Ya maybe a 1-2 year contract but no more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Take a look at his numbers in Buffalo (a crappy team) that season prior to the trade and then on a crappy Vancouver team the following year. St Louis traded for Miller because both of their goalies had been struggling from Feb through to the trade deadline. I don't think goaltending was really the problem there at the time.

 

13/14 Buffalo - 40 gp - .923 S%

13/14 St Louis - 18 gp - .903 S%

14/15 Vancouver - 45 gp - .911 S%

 

Still waiting for some form of evidence no other team was interested in Miller.

No evidence of phone calls because you would have to be in the room or on the phone when the talks were going on, You're askin for the impossible. Results speak for themselves if you pay attention and witness his performance. Smart GMs would not have signed him for $6 M with a NTC after his performance with St Louis. You down play St Louis contention for the Holy Grail, yet they were one of the favourites to win the cup. They brought in Miller to solidify their goaltending and Miller Sh$t the bed. He was a sieve in the playoffs...very disappointing performance...St Louis couldn't get rid of him quick enough. Go ask any Blue fan what they think about Miller. No getting around that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, k_man08 said:

i wouldn't commit more than 3-3.5 / season to him.

There are more goalies available than there is demand. at 4+ i'd rather take Halak.

Halak is 5"11 which is small for a goalie. The NY Islanders didn't want him so he's currently playing in the AHL. Not someone the Canucks should sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe how many fans don't get the fact that it's very tough to sit on the bench for a week or more at a time play so seldom and then get thrown in and play your A game most nights lol.

 

 For me I'm not as happy as most are about Miller's play this season and feel he gets too much credit and since people are so sensitive these days not the criticism I feel he sometimes deserves. As far as I'm concerned watching all the games I'd grade Miller's quality of starts 1/3 very good, 1/3 average and 1/3 poor  and to me that's definitely nothing to get excited about or make him the clear starter over Markstrom if it was my choice.

 

 I think the Canucks have done a poor job of decision making on the number of starts they've given Markstrom and Miller there should have definitely been a much more even split of the games and go with who wins but for some stupid reasom Markstrom was never given that chance and to me just another clear sign Willie Desjardins is not good enough to be a good head coach. Imo if there was that win and you stay in plan the Canucks would be in a better spot In the standings right now.

 

I don't get it Markstrom finished last season looking great and continued early this season being pretty much the only goalie getting wins playing strong behind a team that looked like they loved playing with him in the net but then he started riding the pine and it seemed like he lost his feel for the game and some confidence as well and for that I blame WD.

 

Markstrom has had many good games as a Canuck where he definitely showed he has what it takes and imo he's already showed me his size, skill and technique I think makes him better than Miller now and his game would only get stronger given the chance. I'm hoping if healthy Markstrom gets his chance down the final stretch to prove he's ready once again then maybe they'll finally do what's right and give him the starting job he's ready for and deserves.

 

Anyway for me if Miller has no better options in the Summer which there's a good chance he might not considering he'll likely want to stay in the west, be the #1 starter and make a pretty decent salary the only way I'd sign him is if he took a huge pay cut and was willing to possibly be the back up otherwise they should save the cap room and sign a true back up.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do we actually know what we have in Markstrom?

 

Seems to me he hasn't really been given a chance to run with it. He starts in the second game of back to backs after not playing a week or more then is expected to stand on his head with a tired inexperienced team in front of him.

 

I need to see Markstrom play more games before I'd call him a career backup.

Bang on

Give Markstrom an honest shot (3 out of 5 starts next year)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 year, 3.5 million, no NTC - hope he has another great year and look to move him next deadline.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

I can't believe how many fans don't get the fact that it's very tough to sit on the bench for a week or more at a time play so seldom and then get thrown in and play your A game most nights lol.

 

 For me I'm not as happy as most are about Miller's play this season and feel he gets too much credit and since people are so sensitive these days not the criticism I feel he sometimes deserves. As far as I'm concerned watching all the games I'd grade Miller's quality of starts 1/3 very good, 1/3 average and 1/3 poor  and to me that's definitely nothing to get excited about or make him the clear starter over Markstrom if it was my choice.

 

 I think the Canucks have done a poor job of decision making on the number of starts they've given Markstrom and Miller there should have definitely been a much more even split of the games and go with who wins but for some stupid reasom Markstrom was never given that chance and to me just another clear sign Willie Desjardins is not good enough to be a good head coach. Imo if there was that win and you stay in plan the Canucks would be in a better spot In the standings right now.

 

I don't get it Markstrom finished last season looking great and continued early this season being pretty much the only goalie getting wins playing strong behind a team that looked like they loved playing with him in the net but then he started riding the pine and it seemed like he lost his feel for the game and some confidence as well and for that I blame WD.

 

Markstrom has had many good games as a Canuck where he definitely showed he has what it takes and imo he's already showed me his size, skill and technique I think makes him better than Miller now and his game would only get stronger given the chance. I'm hoping if healthy Markstrom gets his chance down the final stretch to prove he's ready once again then maybe they'll finally do what's right and give him the starting job he's ready for and deserves.

 

Anyway for me if Miller has no better options in the Summer which there's a good chance he might not considering he'll likely want to stay in the west, be the #1 starter and make a pretty decent salary the only way I'd sign him is if he took a huge pay cut and was willing to possibly be the back up otherwise they should save the cap room and sign a true back up.

 

 

 

While I would not be quite as harsh as your 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 split of the the good, the average, and the ugly. I am baffled that Willie D and the management seemingly abandoned their preseason announcements that they learned from the past season and would rest Miller more to make sure that the games he DOES play he would be at the top of his game. And that was supposed to help Markstrom develop as well because he would get more starts.

 

I don't know how Markstrom can be judged on one darn game when he has sat on a cold bench for a week or more between starts. He has looked stellar when he has had the opportunity to grab the ring and play enough to get into a rhythm.

 

I'd rather trade Miller for prospects, or sign him to a one year contract but make it clear that he will only play 50% or less of starts. I am so itching to see how Markstrom handles a good run. We should have had that look this season but Willie was and probably still is thinking he can make the playoffs.  And I wouldn't be surprised to hear his reasoning for over-playing Miller right to the end as, "I just haven't seen Markstrom enough to trust him out there" 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he re signs and don't really care about the dollar figure.

 

Hey, it's not my money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re-post -.. dont' know how to delete..

Edited by k_man08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.