The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lack of interest in Miller good for Canucks

nickels

1 hour ago, exhile said:

Halak is 5"11 which is small for a goalie. The NY Islanders didn't want him so he's currently playing in the AHL. Not someone the Canucks should sign.

I don't think that his height was the only reason .. his salary likely had to do with it as well..

Miller is going to be 38 when he resigns and personally if we're spending 4 - 5 Million on a goalie, even if its temporary, i rather get someone younger who can push Markstrom, not someone who takes majority of the starts..

If not Halak, then Hiller, or Ramo, or anyone else can be signed at fraction of the price and still provide solid support and the cap space can be used to buy and bury contracts in order to get back decent return at deadline.

I've said it many times on these boards.. i like how leafs played smart and signed a bunch of vets to fill holes in their lineup in FA period only to flip them for picks / prospects at deadline each year. That's the best/quickest way to fill your picks and prospect pool. It seems that's what we're also trying to do.

1 hour ago, The Big Luongo said:

I can't believe how many fans don't get the fact that it's very tough to sit on the bench for a week or more at a time play so seldom and then get thrown in and play your A game most nights lol.

For me I'm not as happy as most are about Miller's play this season and feel he gets too much credit and since people are so sensitive these days not the criticism I feel he sometimes deserves. As far as I'm concerned watching all the games I'd grade Miller's quality of starts 1/3 very good, 1/3 average and 1/3 poor  and to me that's definitely nothing to get excited about or make him the clear starter over Markstrom if it was my choice.

I think the Canucks have done a poor job of decision making on the number of starts they've given Markstrom and Miller there should have definitely been a much more even split of the games and go with who wins but for some stupid reasom Markstrom was never given that chance and to me just another clear sign Willie Desjardins is not good enough to be a good head coach. Imo if there was that win and you stay in plan the Canucks would be in a better spot In the standings right now.

I don't get it Markstrom finished last season looking great and continued early this season being pretty much the only goalie getting wins playing strong behind a team that looked like they loved playing with him in the net but then he started riding the pine and it seemed like he lost his feel for the game and some confidence as well and for that I blame WD.

Markstrom has had many good games as a Canuck where he definitely showed he has what it takes and imo he's already showed me his size, skill and technique I think makes him better than Miller now and his game would only get stronger given the chance. I'm hoping if healthy Markstrom gets his chance down the final stretch to prove he's ready once again then maybe they'll finally do what's right and give him the starting job he's ready for and deserves.

Anyway for me if Miller has no better options in the Summer which there's a good chance he might not considering he'll likely want to stay in the west, be the #1 starter and make a pretty decent salary the only way I'd sign him is if he took a huge pay cut and was willing to possibly be the back up otherwise they should save the cap room and sign a true back up.

I think he will get a one year 4M deal with an assurance he will get between 50-60% of the starts. I don't think he wants to go back up Quick or Gibson and ride the pine for 60 games 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

No evidence of phone calls because you would have to be in the room or on the phone when the talks were going on, You're askin for the impossible. Results speak for themselves if you pay attention and witness his performance. Smart GMs would not have signed him for $6 M with a NTC after his performance with St Louis. You down play St Louis contention for the Holy Grail, yet they were one of the favourites to win the cup. They brought in Miller to solidify their goaltending and Miller Sh$t the bed. He was a sieve in the playoffs...very disappointing performance...St Louis couldn't get rid of him quick enough. Go ask any Blue fan what they think about Miller. No getting around that. 

That's a mighty small window on a new team to judge a goalie. So GM's would completely ignore the rest of his season on a poor Buffalo team? The results do speak for themselves. The result - $6m. A pretty decent deal for a goalie of his calibre as a ufa. You need to stop listening to those voices in your head.

I downplay the performance in St Louis because the goalies they already had were having the same problem at the time. That's why they acquired Miller at the deadline. As I said, I think the Blues problem ran much deeper than goaltending at the time. How do you explain Millers S% in Buffalo prior to that trade? Did he suddenly become a bad goalie on the plane trip to St Louis? lol

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That's a mighty small window on a new team to judge a goalie. So GM's would completely ignore the rest of his season on a poor Buffalo team? The results do speak for themselves. The result - $6m. A pretty decent deal for a goalie of his calibre as a ufa. You need to stop listening to those voices in your head.

I downplay the performance in St Louis because the goalies they already had were having the same problem at the time. That's why they acquired Miller at the deadline. As I said, I think the Blues problem ran much deeper than goaltending at the time.

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. He was paid to make a difference...so what you are saying is he is just like the other goalies that are getting half his wage. Obvious his save pct with Buffalo doesn't matter when he couldn't stop the puck when he needed to with St Louis. If Miller is as good as some think he is...he would have made a difference...but he did not...he is not worth the money he is paid. He was paid to be a "Money" goalie and he failed. "Money" goaltenders help a team win cups.

Really hoping that Anaheim has to lean heavily on Bernier and he loses the season for them. I think the return wasn't worth it in Bennings mind. My mind works differently as i would have moved Miller for anything because keeping him probably gets the Caucks another 2-5 wins for the remainder of the year. That could be the difference of us picking Patrick or Hischer to Valardi or Tippett.

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. He was paid to make a difference...so what you are saying is he is just like the other goalies that are getting half his wage. Obvious his save pct with Buffalo doesn't matter when he couldn't stop the puck when he needed to with St Louis. If Miller is as good as some think he is...he would have made a difference...but he did not...he is not worth the money he is paid. He was paid to be a "Money" goalie and he failed. "Money" goaltenders help a team win cups.

Shovel_zps8ehveapz.jpg

2 hours ago, canucksrock!88 said:

I think he will get a one year 4M deal with an assurance he will get between 50-60% of the starts. I don't think he wants to go back up Quick or Gibson and ride the pine for 60 games 

Yes I agree I'm pretty sure he figures he's a starter and will want a good starters money and obviously prefers the west because of the wife thing but if he wants to play in Vancouver I'd tell him it's a playing competition between him and Markstrom and may the best man win and yes I think 4M would do the trick.

A healthy competition between them would be the best thing for everyone and would help the team. It definitely should have been the game plan for this season.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I definitely agree Miller hasn't earned his money and has been far too inconsistent game in game out really just like the rest of the teams under performers the Sedins, Eriksson, Gudbranson and Edler who are paid and counted on to be consistent and just haven't. Players under performing is a big reason the teams where's it's at right now besides the injuries and lack of high level coaching they needed.

If I'm Benning I offer a pay cut and a win and you're back in competition split with Markstrom or I find someone else.

19 hours ago, k_man08 said:

I don't think that his height was the only reason .. his salary likely had to do with it as well..

Miller is going to be 38 when he resigns and personally if we're spending 4 - 5 Million on a goalie, even if its temporary, i rather get someone younger who can push Markstrom, not someone who takes majority of the starts..

If not Halak, then Hiller, or Ramo, or anyone else can be signed at fraction of the price and still provide solid support and the cap space can be used to buy and bury contracts in order to get back decent return at deadline.

I've said it many times on these boards.. i like how leafs played smart and signed a bunch of vets to fill holes in their lineup in FA period only to flip them for picks / prospects at deadline each year. That's the best/quickest way to fill your picks and prospect pool. It seems that's what we're also trying to do.

I agree, Miller is getting old and I don't think he's worth more than 4 million/year. Perhaps 3 million.  Hopefully Thatcher Demko will be that younger goalie that will push Markstrom.

Calgary didn't sign Hiller or Ramo which is why they have Elliot and Johnson both of whom are doing average as the Flames are in a playoff position.

Toronto had to go through the pains of watching the Leafs become dead last in order to get a 20% chance at the #1 pick for 2016 NHL Entry draft.  Now they have Austin Matthews.  Vancouver is going to have to go through the same pains as well in the next few seasons to get a chance at the top 3 picks.  It also depends on when the Sedins retire.

On 01/03/2017 at 9:46 PM, nickels said:

The apparent lack of interest in Miller by any of the teams he would be interested in playing for, should be considered good news for the team in resigning Miller in the off season.

IMO we greatly overpaid for Miller when there was basically no competition for his services.

He is obviously looked upon as a back up by all of the West coast teams that he would have interest in playing for.

IMO we should be able to pay him accordingly.

I have never been a fan of Jacob Markstrom, and don't feel he is a #1 goalie in this league.

Getting Miller to re up at a discount around 3-3.5/yr would be a good move for the team, and bridge the gap till Demko is a viable replacement.

What is the minimum  Miller would want for 1-2 yrs more in a Canuck uni.?

See LA as the only other option...but he would clearly be a #2 there, and not be paid anymore than 2.5/3 to do so.

He could still be a valuable trade chip if one of the West coast teams sustains a goaltender injury.

There simply was no market for Miller other than LA who wisely picked up Bishop.  With Fluery likely going to be traded before expansion too interest is too competitive in the wrong way.  If we sign Miller and he keeps playing well the kids will have a chance every game.   Don't mind this at all.

Miller is not an outstanding goalie anymore. He is a competent #1. At his age I don't see him starting for a good team. Either he backups a good team or starts on a bad team. 

Resign him Vancouver, 1 year 4 million dollars. Send him to a contender at the next trade deadline as an insurance policy for whatever we can get so he has one more shot at a cup before he retires. 

I don't know where to post this but my son has begged me to post his videos on youtube. He would love one day to stand beside Ryan miller during a game. Here is a link to one of his video highlights . He is a 7 year old passionate goaltender.

D'angelo "Brickwall" Brual

22 hours ago, Pete M said:

For two years Miller was the best goalie in the world.  They signed Miller hoping that was the answer for a deep playoff run.  It didn't work.   To me he made up for losing Luongo they are similar in age and without him we would have sucked. He's still a decent number one.

Just now, IBatch said:

For two years Miller was the best goalie in the world.  They signed Miller hoping that was the answer for a deep playoff run.  It didn't work.   To me he made up for losing Luongo they are similar in age and without him we would have sucked. He's still a decent number one.

We suck with him...the last I looked. Team is heading in the wrong direction...will be lucky to win a handful of games moving forward.

Miller doesn't matter, he is old just like the Sedins.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

We suck with him...the last I looked. Team is heading in the wrong direction...will be lucky to win a handful of games moving forward.

All 3 of them can sign up soon for my over 40 league.....  We should have 3 spots open on our team.     Next years team name -    Geri Hattricks 

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

All 3 of them can sign up soon for my over 40 league.....  We should have 3 spots open on our team.     Next years team name -    Geri Hattricks 

Time to cut bait...trade them to Vegas for a 1st in 2017 and a first in 2018.

Sign UFAs...if there are any that fit the rebuild. If not, play the young guns and pick up two more top picks in the next two years (not counting this coming draft).

As of now, this rebuild is no better than the Oilers rebuild.

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I think if they sign Miller they will flog Markstrom and bring up a rookie for next year.

Archived