The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

I'm hopeful he can become the next Grenier with more physical game. He probably makes the NHL if he can score around .7 points per game in the AHL and plays a tough physical game. Even if it takes 2-3 years.

Even if he has to spend time in the ECHL to start, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of guys who have succeeded on the Comets the past few years spent time in the ECHL... Grenier, Valk, Archibald, McEneny, Pedan. Laplante went down (or up?) to Alaska and has been on fire lately. Its not the worst place to start out, especially as an overager who is used to playing against smaller, less experienced players.

so is zack macewan a bottom six player? middle six player? what's his potential? 

i don't see him as a scoring type of player, or else there would have been more teams in on him. 

hope he can be a solid contributor one day for the team, in whatever role the organization wants him to play. 

19 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Mar macewen the new Milan Lucic :bigblush:

He's a bit better than Zack Kassian was at the same age. Keep in mind, Kassian was a first round pick. We got this guy for free,The next Lucic? Possibly. But he will take more time to develop.

When Kassian was 20 years old, he scored 77 points in 56 games for Windsor. MacEwen has 71 points in 64 games and he's 20 years old. At worst, MacEwen is a Kassian replacement. He definitely has some high-end potential and I could see him being a Lucic-type player, but that's just me. He's got silky smooth hands, he's got a bit of speed to his game and he plays a good game defensively, which cannot be said the same for Zack Kassian. 

Who knows what we have in MacEwen, but he looks very promising. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

He's a bit better than Zack Kassian was at the same age. Keep in mind, Kassian was a first round pick. We got this guy for free,The next Lucic? Possibly. But he will take more time to develop.

When Kassian was 20 years old, he scored 77 points in 56 games for Windsor. MacEwen has 71 points in 64 games and he's 20 years old. At worst, MacEwen is a Kassian replacement. He definitely has some high-end potential and I could see him being a Lucic-type player, but that's just me. He's got silky smooth hands, he's got a bit of speed to his game and he plays a good game defensively, which cannot be said the same for Zack Kassian. 

Who knows what we have in MacEwen, but he looks very promising. 

I see him as a Scott Hartnell type of player. A guy that can put up 20 goals while keeping people honest and leaving it out on the ice every shift. Its guys like this you need in the playoffs and no teams want to get rid of them while they are still young and impactful. Kassian was looking to be the same type of player before he got into drugs and alcohol. Guys like this don't come around to often. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

I hope he can pick up his pace. He doesn't look like he moves well enough for pro at this point

Also, he's going to face some adjustment when the quality of defenders improves. Right now, he's enjoying working against guys with pretty poor gap control, weak stick checks, not enough strength to control him physically, and who are pretty slow to recover when he changes direction or makes a move.

That's gonna all change at the pro level.

He also seems to have a tendency to do it all himself, and will need to quickly learn when and how to use his teammates better (something Virtanen is only seeming to discover this year).

As far as pace goes, it will be an adjustment, but hard to say how much. He seems to skate and move quite well for a big man, but the issues I've addressed above will make it hard for him to move as unimpededly as he does on those highlight goals.

Against pro level players and systems, you can see four or five moments where his individual forays through the offensive zone would get shut down long before he got his shot off. And many of those shots for goals at the Q level will become fairly routine saves for pro level netminders.

That said, he does seem to move quite well for a guy his size. And also sees the ice and reads defenses well enough that he's able to think two or three moves ahead (which may change when game pace and player skill increases). Still, he does appear to have good moves to beat guys one on one. And seems to know when he can power through a defender and when he needs to take a more shifty approach. Has a fairly quick release and a pretty good shot.

It's going to be a matter of his learning how much and how little of his arsenal is going to work against higher level opponents. And hopefully, with higher level teammates, he'll learn the benefit of using those teammates more, instead of just looking to beat three or four guys (with his current superiority in strength, puck skills, and escapability) and continuing to assume the seas will part for him and allow him to take the puck to the net singlehanded.

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I see him as a Scott Hartnell type of player. A guy that can put up 20 goals while keeping people honest and leaving it out on the ice every shift. Its guys like this you need in the playoffs and no teams want to get rid of them while they are still young and impactful. Kassian was looking to be the same type of player before he got into drugs and alcohol. Guys like this don't come around to often. 

Kassian is actually having a pretty good year in Edmonton this year. He's got 21 points in 66 games, which is solid production for a third or fourth line guy. 

I think transitioning to the pro-level will be difficult for Zack MacEwen, but he's got lots of potential as seen in the highlight video we all saw. He's got very good speed for a big guy, he's got silky smooth hands. 

What I'm wondering is why nobody took a flyer on him in the draft last year or the year before. Anybody know why he didn't get picked? He scored 40 points in 66 games last year, it's not like it was a breakout year. 

3-2 loss for Gatineau today.  

MacEwen has a high speed and agile 200' game.  Used on the pp and the pk very effectively.

For being 6'4 and 215 lbs, his tool box is complete, and above average.

Yes, this is at the Junior Level, but what this young man is about to bring to the next level will be a dream to his next Coach.

This is a great signing by Benning.  

Just my opinion, but I think Zack will raise a lot of eye brows at prospect camp next season,. And quite possibly slide in seemlessly with Utica in a playoff run this season.

Good luck Zack !   Bring it!

• Upvote 2