The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

Why aren’t people more excited about this kid? I see the people here consistently have him at the bottom of their prospect list. I have him at #2 behind pod and ahead of woo. 

This Man Beast is going to be one of the greatest signings JB has ever made in his career. And one of the greatest accomplishments ever made by our scouts. We do not have another player in our system who has trended this drastically in a long time. Every summer he drastically improves. He dominated at times in the AHL with pretty ghetto support.  

I dont see how you can project a kids ceiling with how dramatically he improves every year. 

This is my dark horse prediction. He will be a top 6 for us one day. It might be sooner than later. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Why aren’t people more excited about this kid? I see the people here consistently have him at the bottom of their prospect list. I have him at #2 behind pod and ahead of woo. 

This Man Beast is going to be one of the greatest signings JB has ever made in his career. And one of the greatest accomplishments ever made by our scouts. We do not have another player in our system who has trended this drastically in a long time. Every summer he drastically improves. He dominated at times in the AHL with pretty ghetto support.  

I dont see how you can project a kids ceiling with how dramatically he improves every year. 

This is my dark horse prediction. He will be a top 6 for us one day. It might be sooner than later. 

I agree  he could be our tom Wilson type player  , tough ,   keep your head up  when he is on the ice , protect and create room for a skilled  player, pot 10- 20 goals  id be happy  

5 hours ago, the grinder said:

I agree  he could be our tom Wilson type player  , tough ,   keep your head up  when he is on the ice , protect and create room for a skilled  player, pot 10- 20 goals  id be happy  

Wilson is 15 pounds heavier and an inch taller than MacEwen. 

Big size difference so not sure MacEwen would be able to deal out the punishment Wilson does regularly.  Boeser (208) weighs more than MacEwen (205) according to some sites.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Big size difference so not sure MacEwen would be able to deal out the punishment Wilson does regularly.  Boeser (208) weighs more than MacEwen (205) according to some sites.

I said could be a tom Wilson type of player ,   I never said he going to be to wilson lol   an  inch and  15 pounds isn't a huge factor   and plus zack isn't a meat head like wilson

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, the grinder said:

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

MacEwen isn't afraid to get feisty, but he's not a particularly beefy guy. I think he's more of a feisty, scrappy guy than a big brickhouse beefcake like Wilson.

• Upvote 1

Remember the weights listed seem to be always off or, of them when they were 18 or 19 years old.  I think Jake is listed at 229 lb (that was fat Jake from this 2nd year when he went to Utica) and at most he is 215lb. I have trouble trusting the numbers.  If anyone knows a more reliable source I would love to hear about it.  

6 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Remember the weights listed seem to be always off or, of them when they were 18 or 19 years old.  I think Jake is listed at 229 lb (that was fat Jake from this 2nd year when he went to Utica) and at most he is 215lb. I have trouble trusting the numbers.  If anyone knows a more reliable source I would love to hear about it.  

I checked the Utica site that said MacEwen was 6'4" 211.

That is 1 inch taller and 6 lbs heavier than elite prospects or hockeydb. 

The Utica site is probably more accurate and more up to date than the others. Which means Mac wen is bigger and heavier than I thought and at 22 he could still put on more weight.

• Cheers 1

There was an article on him last summer on the Utica web site updating Utica fans with his life back home in PEI and in the pictures he looked quite thick through his mid section.  I wonder if he is more like 215 but who knows for sure.  Photos can be deceiving and I am terrible estimator of such things.  I still have to ask my wife her size is, if I want to get her something as a gift (Thank goodness she loves flowers) :)

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2019 at 5:54 PM, Bubble Man said:

On 7/3/2019 at 11:57 AM, the grinder said:

Where have you guys been?

If your going to jump in on page 44 of a thread,. Why don’t you at least read the first 10 pages of it from 2 years ago when we signed him?

Some good video back there too.

Get your popcorn and peanuts on your way back. ;) 

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Where have you guys been?

If your going to jump in on page 44 of a thread,. Why don’t you at least read the first 10 pages of it from 2 years ago when we signed him?

Some good video back there too.

Get your popcorn and peanuts on your way back. ;) 

I have and like his progression in Utica and in afew games up here 

On 7/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

On 7/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, -AJ- said:

MacEwen isn't afraid to get feisty, but he's not a particularly beefy guy. I think he's more of a feisty, scrappy guy than a big brickhouse beefcake like Wilson.

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I checked the Utica site that said MacEwen was 6'4" 211.

That is 1 inch taller and 6 lbs heavier than elite prospects or hockeydb. 

The Utica site is probably more accurate and more up to date than the others. Which means Mac wen is bigger and heavier than I thought and at 22 he could still put on more weight.

Zack MacEwen  6'4''  211 lbs.  22 yrs old

Tom Wilson        6'4''  218 lbs.  25 yrs old

So same height & ONLY 7 lbs. difference & 3 years younger.  (at only 22 vs 25 yrs old)

So same size or maybe Zack will fill out even bigger? Our dark horse? 

::D:canucks:

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 1

MacEwen's first year in Utica he got 33 points in 66 games in 2017/18.

His next year in Utica he got 52 points in 69 in 2018/19.

Maybe JB does not need to get another top 6 forward. How about we slot MacEwen on the 2nd line with Pearson and Horvat. I would rather that than putting him in some plug 4th line role when he comes up.  This all assumes he does very well at camp.

JT Miller  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  MacEwen

Roussel  Sutter  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  Leivo

That is a beefy line up.  We would have added two big guys up front in Miller at 218 and MacEwen at 211.  Then two more big guys on the back in Myers at 230 and Benn at 205.  Talk about going from a soft small team to a big team in one summer. None of these guys are Reaves but they have size and pushback.  Team toughness ftw.

In MacEwen's last year in the Q he had 74 points and he showed a big improvement in scoring in just his second year at Utica.  It seems he could continue to develop at a strong pace. I would love for JB and TG to give him a try up front to start the year. Let Gaudette start the year in Utica and get some points and his offense going strong before Sutter gets moved and Gaudette comes up.

Edit: Alternatively if you don't like putting him up with Horvat right away then put Virtanen with Horvat and start MacEwen with Roussel / Sutter on the 3rd line and let him get some NHL experience. Roussel is out till Xmas so whomever fills his spot.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

So same height & ONLY 7 lbs. difference & 3 years younger.  (at only 22 vs 25 yrs old)

Hmm, thanks for the notice. I assumed Wilson was at least 230, but I guess he's not a big as I assumed. Either way, MacEwen has never really played like as much of a meathead as Wilson. He's had a decent number of fights and hits, but that's not a huge facet of his as much as it is in Wilson's. I'd say MacEwen would be more of a Wilson-lite in terms of physical play.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm, thanks for the notice. I assumed Wilson was at least 230, but I guess he's not a big as I assumed. Either way, MacEwen has never really played like as much of a meathead as Wilson. He's had a decent number of fights and hits, but that's not a huge facet of his as much as it is in Wilson's. I'd say MacEwen would be more of a Wilson-lite in terms of physical play.

Cheers,

I'd take that meathead on my team any day A.J.

I think that bringing  Bailey, Miller, Meyers, Lievo, Perason, Motte, Beagle, Roussel, Benn, etc.  Will greatly improve our overall TEAM TOUGHNESS which is key in PLAYOFFS. 

Zack & Jake only being 22  with upside can really start to learn the maturity it takes to become a Wilson, J. Anderson, Maroon, Meier, Tuch,  Tkatchuk. Ferlund, etc.  type of player. 

Funny thing is 22 is still young in NHL believe it or not.   25 is getting old but still produces break out seasons...  

I'm not writing off Jake or Zack for at-least another year or 2. 

(not saying you are but some on this site do not seem to understand that some players actually become better with age.)

eg. Anderson,  Hertl, Horvat, Stone, Panarin, Byfuglien, J.Williams, Sedins,  Wheeler, Giordano, Chara, Bergeron, Bertuzzi, Trouba, Marchand, etc.

eg. Josh Anderson

23 Years old when he scored 17 goals (2016/17)

24 Years old scored 19  (2017/18)

25 Years old scored 27  break out.  (2018/19)

So Yes Some power forwards take longer to break out. It's not just a myth...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=138920

Josh Anderson

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born May 7 1994 -- Burlington, ONT 
[25 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 221 [191 cm/100 kg]
Drafted by Columbus Blue Jackets
- round 4 #95 overall 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Josh Anderson hockey player photo  

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
  NHL Totals   241 64 47 111 195   21 3 5 8 45
2010-11 Burlington Cougars OJHL 4 0 2 2 0   1 0 0 0 0
2011-12 London Knights OHL 64 12 10 22 34 17 19 2 3 5 4
2012-13 London Knights OHL 68 23 26 49 77 10 19 1 2 3 23
2013-14 London Knights OHL 59 27 24 51 81 31 9 5 4 9 14
2014-15 Springfield Falcons AHL 52 7 10 17 76 1 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 6 0 1 1 2 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Lake Erie Monsters AHL 58 18 21 39 108 14 15 7 5 12 24
2015-16 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 12 1 3 4 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 78 17 12 29 89 12 5 1 1 2 2
2017-18 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 63 19 11 30 42 -1 6 1 2 3 21
2017-18 Cleveland Monsters AHL 1 0 0 0 0 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 82 27 20 47 60 25 10 1 2 3 22
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

^ love the Josh Anderson comparison... I hope so.  I was hoping for Jake... But MacE may end up being more like Josh.  Regardless we have both of them.  God this team is going to destroy in a couple years (Pod/Tram)... But starting this year coming.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Cheers,

I'd take that meathead on my team any day A.J.

I think that bringing  Bailey, Miller, Meyers, Lievo, Perason, Motte, Beagle, Roussel, Benn, etc.  Will greatly improve our overall TEAM TOUGHNESS which is key in PLAYOFFS. 

Zack & Jake only being 22  with upside can really start to learn the maturity it takes to become a Wilson, J. Anderson, Maroon, Meier, Tuch,  Tkatchuk. Ferlund, etc.  type of player. 

Funny thing is 22 is still young in NHL believe it or not.   25 is getting old but still produces break out seasons...  

I'm not writing off Jake or Zack for at-least another year or 2. 

(not saying you are but some on this site do not seem to understand that some players actually become better with age.)

eg. Anderson,  Hertl, Horvat, Stone, Panarin, Byfuglien, J.Williams, Sedins,  Wheeler, Giordano, Chara, Bergeron, Bertuzzi, Trouba, Marchand, etc.

eg. Josh Anderson

23 Years old when he scored 17 goals (2016/17)

24 Years old scored 19  (2017/18)

25 Years old scored 27  break out.  (2018/19)

So Yes Some power forwards take longer to break out. It's not just a myth...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=138920

Josh Anderson

Right Wing -- shoots R
Born May 7 1994 -- Burlington, ONT 
[25 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 221 [191 cm/100 kg]
Drafted by Columbus Blue Jackets
- round 4 #95 overall 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Josh Anderson hockey player photo  

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
  NHL Totals   241 64 47 111 195   21 3 5 8 45
2010-11 Burlington Cougars OJHL 4 0 2 2 0   1 0 0 0 0
2011-12 London Knights OHL 64 12 10 22 34 17 19 2 3 5 4
2012-13 London Knights OHL 68 23 26 49 77 10 19 1 2 3 23
2013-14 London Knights OHL 59 27 24 51 81 31 9 5 4 9 14
2014-15 Springfield Falcons AHL 52 7 10 17 76 1 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 6 0 1 1 2 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Lake Erie Monsters AHL 58 18 21 39 108 14 15 7 5 12 24
2015-16 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 12 1 3 4 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 78 17 12 29 89 12 5 1 1 2 2
2017-18 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 63 19 11 30 42 -1 6 1 2 3 21
2017-18 Cleveland Monsters AHL 1 0 0 0 0 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 82 27 20 47 60 25 10 1 2 3 22

3 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

I’m Willie Nelson high on MacEwen. I have him second only to Vasi Pod and I’m even uncomfortable doing that. I worked around Bradford county PA last year and shot up to Utica to watch a comets game. I saw this beautiful specimen live. That’s when I became convinced that he was something special. I was so drunk with a bunch of people that didn’t know anything about hockey and I was pointing out all these things he was doing and they were like “Whoa”, but had no clue what I was talking about. I think it was Bridgeport that they played.  

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

Im a huge MacEwen fan, but he isn't a top 6 forward next year. I can see him playing in a bottom 6 as a big strong defender that can add some scoring and speed.

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Leivo

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Im a huge MacEwen fan, but he isn't a top 6 forward next year. I can see him playing in a bottom 6 as a big strong defender that can add some scoring and speed.

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Leivo

I don't want to see goldy near this team personally. But good line up there. That 3rd line would be tough on the fore check.

36 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't want to see goldy near this team personally. But good line up there. That 3rd line would be tough on the fore check.

Last chance to battle it out with Baer (and Virtanen, Gaudette etc) for that last top 6 spot. Otherwise, he's 13th F/top 6 injury replacement or waived to Utica.

Could also simply be trade sweetener in moving out Eriksson. 

As for Mac, I doubt he makes the team out of camp (though never say never) without moving out some other bodies but I can easily see him as one of the first call ups and would be happy to see him finish the season here.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2