The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

Wish we got to see more of MacEwen this season.

Certainly feel having his emergence as a big powerforward who can play such a robust game makes me wonder what Jake Virtanen's future is with this team after this season ends.

I forsee JB signings Toffoli to complete that top six, but if you do sign Toffoli and imagining they sign Marky, they will need some cheap options in the bottom six.  MacEwen will make a cheaper ticket than Virtanen will and provides a very similar game.  Not fast like Virtanen, but far more physically consistent.  With uncertainty with the cap, could see a scenario where Canucks choose to use MacEwen as a replacement of Jake and peddle Virtanen off to clear cap space or upgrade a different position.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well aware of current and potential cap implications. Beagle is FAR down the list of places to cut cap. Eriksson, Baer, Roussel, Benn etc... Sure (the latter two by trade).

You don't buy out useful and tradeable players.

Good point ,Baerschi is certainly high on that list but I doubt about the other two. Roussell I'd think will be back to his old self next season and Benn deffintely a 7th D

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Good point ,Baerschi is certainly high on that list but I doubt about the other two. Roussell I'd think will be back to his old self next season and Benn deffintely a 7th D

I love Roussel. Loved the signing. But he's a winger and by definition, more easily replaceable. You simply do not gut your C depth. As sad as I'll be to see him go, he's the most expendable salary on the roster.

Benn could be back as 7th but he didn't exactly set the world on fire and I'd prefer to see if we can try to convince Stecher back at something near his current rate and move Benn instead to afford it. Allow any of Sautner/Brisebois/Rafferty as 7th on a cheap deal.

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I love Roussel. Loved the signing. But he's a winger and by definition, more easily replaceable. You simply do not gut your C depth. As sad as I'll be to see him go, he's the most expendable salary on the roster.

Benn could be back as 7th but he didn't exactly set the world on fire and I'd prefer to see if we can try to convince Stecher back at something near his current rate and move Benn instead to afford it. Allow any of Sautner/Brisebois/Rafferty as 7th on a cheap deal.

Sure Roussell is a winger and position wise easier to replace. But he's more than just a winger. I recall Jamie Benn saying he was the best team mate he'd ever had, and that counts on a young team IMO. As  to Jordie hard to move but you're right cheap to buy out. Man you have to question our pro scouts. I understand they were looking for muscle, but at what cost

Edited by Fred65

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sure Roussell is a winger and position wise easier to replace. But he's more than just a winger. I recall Jamie Benn saying he was the best team mate he'd ever had, and that counts on a young team IMO. As  to Jordie hard to move but you're right cheap to buy out. Man you have to question our pro scouts. I understand they were looking for muscle, but at what cost

We have a lot of leaders and we could possibly bring someone who have leadership qualities to replace. Beagle, Pearson, Miller, Myers, Edler, Tanev, possible Toffoli, Horvat, Marky all have a ton of experience, some have a ton of successful playoff experience.

I don't like Roussel anymore. He is a shadow of what he was last year and Gaud could use an upgrade. Dude doesn't PK and shouldn't be a PP guy. He isn't as physical as he needs to be to make up for that either. I consider Sutter more useful and I want to get rid of Sutter too. Hopefully Ferland is healthy next year, would solve that issue on the LW next to Gaud.

In regards to Benn at what cost? Low risk. Dude is a cheap top 6 D that hasn't fit in here that's only signed for 1 more year. He can be easily moved. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We have a lot of leaders and we could possibly bring someone who have leadership qualities to replace. Beagle, Pearson, Miller, Myers, Edler, Tanev, possible Toffoli, Horvat, Marky all have a ton of experience, some have a ton of successful playoff experience.

I don't like Roussel anymore. He is a shadow of what he was last year and Gaud could use an upgrade. Dude doesn't PK and shouldn't be a PP guy. He isn't as physical as he needs to be to make up for that either. I consider Sutter more useful and I want to get rid of Sutter too. Hopefully Ferland is healthy next year, would solve that issue on the LW next to Gaud.

In regards to Benn at what cost? Low risk. Dude is a cheap top 6 D that hasn't fit in here that's only signed for 1 more year. He can be easily moved. 

That's clear ::D and he's certainly a shadow of his previous season. The gamble is can he be replaced with his in your face style. Sure others can do it but the fact is they don't. Neither has Roussell since he came back from his injury. I'm sure the medical staff are aware of any carry over and the likelihood of future improvement. Roussell could as a vet basically disregard Greens instruction and get away with it. MacEwen will not be given the same leeway. As to Benn, his problem is not so much his value but more the fact that he might be holding a prospect from the line up. The interesting part to me is we do have some depth but it's not overwhelming or clear the chnage of vet for prospect is mostly marginal. Is Stecher or Tanev better than Rafferty or Tryamkin by a large margin etc. or say Lind rather than Pearson, Gaudette better than Sutter. A mixed bag IMO 

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That's clear ::D and he's certainly a shadow of his previous season. The gamble is can he be replaced with his in your face style. Sure others can do it but the fact is they don't. Neither has Roussell since he came back from his injury. I'm sure the medical staff are aware of any carry over and the likelihood of future improvement. Roussell could as a vet basically disregard Greens instruction and get away with it. MacEwen will not be given the same leeway. As to Benn, his problem is not so much his value but more the fact that he might be holding a prospect from the line up. The interesting part to me is we do have some depth but it's not overwhelming or clear the chnage of vet for prospect is mostly marginal. Is Stecher or Tanev better than Rafferty or Tryamkin by a large margin etc. or say Lind rather than Pearson, Gaudette better than Sutter. A mixed bag IMO 

Like I said if Ferland's back and healthy it solves that issue. Either way Roussell is a candidate to leave. Firstly we'd have the get rid of Eriksson/Sutter/Baer etc first hand. He's on the list but not at the top of priorities. If we get a couple buy outs Eriksson would be number 1 and we'd have to see who's #2.

Benn takes a spot but we can just trade him. I can see 2 young D making the jump next year, one in the top 6 and the other as the 7th.

IMO we will gradually bring in prospects as years go by. Mac is probably gonna be a regular and Lind will get the Mac treatment, being groomed for the following season. I'd be shocked if anyone replaced Pearson, he has been a top 6 2-way player for us and handles match up duties with Bo. Tall order for any rookie to handle his duties and responsiblities.

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Like I said if Ferland's back and healthy it solves that issue. Either way Roussell is a candidate to leave. Firstly we'd have the get rid of Eriksson/Sutter/Baer etc first hand. He's on the list but not at the top of priorities. If we get a couple buy outs Eriksson would be number 1 and we'd have to see who's #2.

Benn takes a spot but we can just trade him. I can see 2 young D making the jump next year, one in the top 6 and the other as the 7th.

IMO we will gradually bring in prospects as years go by. Mac is probably gonna be a regular and Lind will get the Mac treatment, being groomed for the following season. I'd be shocked if anyone replaced Pearson, he has been a top 6 2-way player for us and handles match up duties with Bo. Tall order for any rookie to handle his duties and responsiblities.

I'm not as confident that teams will be keen to buy outs after the Corona virus interuptions. The Cap is likely to fall, there's going to be a possible exodus of commercial and private ticket sales. Real estate in Vcr will fall and that is the primary capital for the Aqualinni's In fact I see with the fall of the stock market a lot of new owners in the NHL may be suffering mightly. The NHL is going to be in tough this summer. But hey what do I know. The complete withdrawl of a team from the KHL made me stop and think of this down turn in the economy. I'd guess it's going to be a couple of years before we're back to the way it was, a lot of bankruptcies. The good news is there's going to be a new bench mark for NHL salaries 

On 3/31/2020 at 12:53 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wish we got to see more of MacEwen this season.

Certainly feel having his emergence as a big powerforward who can play such a robust game makes me wonder what Jake Virtanen's future is with this team after this season ends.

I forsee JB signings Toffoli to complete that top six, but if you do sign Toffoli and imagining they sign Marky, they will need some cheap options in the bottom six.  MacEwen will make a cheaper ticket than Virtanen will and provides a very similar game.  Not fast like Virtanen, but far more physically consistent.  With uncertainty with the cap, could see a scenario where Canucks choose to use MacEwen as a replacement of Jake and peddle Virtanen off to clear cap space or upgrade a different position.

Virtanen? You don’t give up 225 pound, 23 year old, defensively reliable, wingers who can play either side that can hit, skate and shoot like Virtanen.  If you have Toffoli, Miller (who is also a centre), Boeser, in your top six and and a not really top six collection of Pearson, Roussel, Ferland (if he can ever get over being concussed), and Leivo - and you come up with MacEwen.. you don’t get rid of the 23 year old - you get rid of the old farts. You get rid of any or all of Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland (if you can), Leivo, and even Pearson. When you get Podkolzin and Hoglander you may have the depth to start them down the lineup or Jake becomes a 24 year old (that you teach to be apenalty killing winger that brings a big body and speed).  But then you might have to find a place for Bailey cuz he has the look of a big guy that just found his game...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not as confident that teams will be keen to buy outs after the Corona virus interuptions. The Cap is likely to fall, there's going to be a possible exodus of commercial and private ticket sales. Real estate in Vcr will fall and that is the primary capital for the Aqualinni's In fact I see with the fall of the stock market a lot of new owners in the NHL may be suffering mightly. The NHL is going to be in tough this summer. But hey what do I know. The complete withdrawl of a team from the KHL made me stop and think of this down turn in the economy. I'd guess it's going to be a couple of years before we're back to the way it was, a lot of bankruptcies. The good news is there's going to be a new bench mark for NHL salaries 

They'll take a hit but I think Aqua is rich enough to handle it, unless this lasts a long long time. COVID might end up like the flu where we accept it and it has it's occasional season if enough people get it and build up better immunity before we can create a vaccine. That's kind of a worse case scenario though.

I also think he'd be more than willing to pay out Eriksson the rest of his 4M to clear 6M in cap for the next couple of seasons. He also only owes Roussel 4.4M left on his contract because he also had signing bonuses in his first 2 years. 8.4M for 9M in cap for the next two seasons. I'd jump all over that if I were AQ and we had 2 buyouts. We would be able to re-sign everybody and possible look to add if we can clear some more cap(Sutter/Baer/Benn).

I just feel if it happened he wouldn't be afraid to buyout people. It is either that or we become a worse team with having to let go of one of Tanev/Toffoli and being forced to rely on younger players to play with the Erikssons/Roussels/Sutter's. We need better players for our young guys to play with and I don't want to force them in when they're not ready and the cap may make us the way it is, especially if it goes down

I can't speak for other teams however but I think Aqua would jump all over complacency buyouts, especially if it costs 8.4M for 9M/2 years in cap.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Virtanen? You don’t give up 225 pound, 23 year old, defensively reliable, wingers who can play either side that can hit, skate and shoot like Virtanen.  If you have Toffoli, Miller (who is also a centre), Boeser, in your top six and and a not really top six collection of Pearson, Roussel, Ferland (if he can ever get over being concussed), and Leivo - and you come up with MacEwen.. you don’t get rid of the 23 year old - you get rid of the old farts. You get rid of any or all of Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland (if you can), Leivo, and even Pearson. When you get Podkolzin and Hoglander you may have the depth to start them down the lineup or Jake becomes a 24 year old (that you teach to be apenalty killing winger that brings a big body and speed).  But then you might have to find a place for Bailey cuz he has the look of a big guy that just found his game...

Liked everything you said until this. I just don't see Bailey as a full time NHLer. Went on a hot streak there which was awesome, but he seems to lack a physical or dynamic aspect to his game. Reminds me of Grenier.

Totally agree with Virtanen though, who probably would have put up 20G 40P this season. You don't give up your fastest winger that can play a very physical game. Cup winning teams have those guys.

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They'll take a hit but I think Aqua is rich enough to handle it, unless this lasts a long long time. COVID might end up like the flu where we accept it and it has it's occasional season if enough people get it and build up better immunity before we can create a vaccine. That's kind of a worse case scenario though.

I also think he'd be more than willing to pay out Eriksson the rest of his 4M to clear 6M in cap for the next couple of seasons. He also only owes Roussel 4.4M left on his contract because he also had signing bonuses in his first 2 years. 8.4M for 9M in cap for the next two seasons. I'd jump all over that if I were AQ and we had 2 buyouts. We would be able to re-sign everybody and possible look to add if we can clear some more cap(Sutter/Baer/Benn).

I just feel if it happened he wouldn't be afraid to buyout people. It is either that or we become a worse team with having to let go of one of Tanev/Toffoli and being forced to rely on younger players to play with the Erikssons/Roussels/Sutter's. We need better players for our young guys to play with and I don't want to force them in when they're not ready and the cap may make us the way it is, especially if it goes down

I can't speak for other teams however but I think Aqua would jump all over complacency buyouts, especially if it costs 8.4M for 9M/2 years in cap.

Try this, more Financial Post and less THN  :lol::lol:

On 4/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Liked everything you said until this. I just don't see Bailey as a full time NHLer. Went on a hot streak there which was awesome, but he seems to lack a physical or dynamic aspect to his game. Reminds me of Grenier.

Totally agree with Virtanen though, who probably would have put up 20G 40P this season. You don't give up your fastest winger that can play a very physical game. Cup winning teams have those guys.

Have you watched Bailey in Utica? I have all year - he shifted gears about twelve games in and hasn’t relented since. He is just too big, too fast, too strong and too skilled for the AHL. He skates far better than Grenier ever did - he is one of if not the fastest guy in the AHL - and is much better with the puck - especiallympuck protection  Most goals Grenier ever had in a single season in the AHL was 20, he did that once.  He was usually a sixteen/seventeen goal guy.  Bailey has 28 goals in a partial season and in most of his goals he did most of the work - in a full season that is twice Grenier’s production and Grenier was usually a minus player, lost in his own zone - play in his own zone has not been a problem for Bailey. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Have you watched Bailey in Utica? I have all year - he shifted gears about twelve games in and hasn’t relented since. He is just too big, too fast, too strong and too skilled for the AHL. He skates far better than Grenier ever did - he is one of if not the fastest guy in the AHL - and is much better with the puck - especiallympuck protection  Most goals Grenier ever had in a single season in the AHL was 20, he did that once.  He was usually a sixteen/seventeen goal guy.  Bailey has 28 goals in a partial season and in most of his goals he did most of the work - in a full season that is twice Grenier’s production and Grenier was usually a minus player, lost in his own zone - play in his own zone has not been a problem for Bailey. 

I want Bailey on our 4th line checking. And Big Mac (been screaming for those two all year) LE gone. Schaller gone. -  One was supposed to score -one was supposed to hit. Now they're like two homeless guys begging for ice time. We've got Motte and Lievo (both injured?) Motte and Lievo are good bottom 6 guys. We've got Lind, and maybe one other phenom who might surprise? 

I think our bottom 6 is going to get younger, tougher, faster, and cheaper.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:30 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I want Bailey on our 4th line checking. And Big Mac (been screaming for those two all year) LE gone. Schaller gone. -  One was supposed to score -one was supposed to hit. Now they're like two homeless guys begging for ice time. We've got Motte and Lievo (both injured?) Motte and Lievo are good bottom 6 guys. We've got Lind, and maybe one other phenom who might surprise? 

I think our bottom 6 is going to get younger, tougher, faster, and cheaper.

Gadjovich also came along a lot this year, and then there is McDonough...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gadjovich also came along a lot this year, and then there is McDonough...

Gadj? Good last I saw of him he was a wallflower. Good he's finding his mojo. Good to hear. Definitely need to see him called up for a cup of coffee next year.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, RetroCanuck said:

does Virtanen fit inside the expansion draft list?