The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Shortening the post again? ;)

(Sorry Rollieo, I’m just playing :))

Whatever his category was when we signed him....the point is that many saw it as a waste of a contract...I could see the fire in his game and the lack of fire in anyone's game that was on the roster at the time we got him....so I knew he had a good shot to become something.

I don't like playing word games with people...not even you Sid....

....I should qualify my lack of humour this morning though...I just had a run in with a Nazi racist idiot and my blood is still boiling...

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Whatever his category was when we signed him....the point is that many saw it as a waste of a contract...I could see the fire in his game and the lack of fire in anyone's game that was on the roster at the time we got him....so I knew he had a good shot to become something.

I don't like playing word games with people...not even you Sid....

....I should qualify my lack of humour this morning though...I just had a run in with a Nazi racist idiot and my blood is still boiling...

Sorry, bud, just was having a little fun. More than half my posts these past few months seem to be jokes and jabs, just because there’s been limited stuff to talk about. Thankfully, that changes tomorrow. :)

And sorry to hear about your run-in with the “Nazi racist idiot.” My blood would have been boiling too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

He meshes well with Motte and Beagle to get into the forecheck and provide energy.  Also has the presence of mind, hands, and IQ to play off of Pearson and Horvat.

His versatility up and down the lineup is gaining Green's trust and is giving him chances to get some good looks.

I hope at some point he is used either as a net front presence on the PP because he has soft enough hands to draw defenders close into him to feed the slot for the bumper player.  This was his regular role on PP1 for the Comets the past few years.  It might allow also Sutter to play less minutes now with Gaudette kind of sitting out.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He meshes well with Motte and Beagle to get into the forecheck and provide energy.  Also has the presence of mind, hands, and IQ to play off of Pearson and Horvat.

His versatility up and down the lineup is gaining Green's trust and is giving him chances to get some good looks.

I hope at some point he is used either as a net front presence on the PP because he has soft enough hands to draw defenders close into him to feed the slot for the bumper player.  This was his regular role on PP1 for the Comets the past few years.  It might allow also Sutter to play less minutes now with Gaudette kind of sitting out.

I can see his offensive game develop the more he plays. He will be your ideal middle 6 versatile forward that brings a bit of everything to your line up.

• Cheers 2

On 8/9/2020 at 3:24 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Zack created the biggest key moment for me in game 3 which put the dagger in the series.  He gets a hit which he didn't like but he didn't retaliate and take a bad penalty.  He put his nose down and was a pain in the ass without crossing the line.  This led to the penalty which they scored with.....and no looking back from there.  Haven't seen enough of Zack yet but I was impressed with that moment and what it meant to the series.

Man, that's some digging to justify his participation :)  

On 7/27/2020 at 6:37 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I knew we signed him as a fee agent...I was just shortening the post....

The point is MacEwen has more hockey sense, more common sense and less shotgun nonsense...I have him ahead of Jake in most categories but most importantly...

Maturity and Will....

Both way more important than the difference in skill...which is also negligible....so ya...give me Big Mac all day everyday...

You're going off of very short shifts where he's in the ozone, and rarely defending. Tuna is much farther ahead in skating, shooting, and defensive play. MacEwan wishes he had as many points as Virtanen

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, -AJ- said:

We never drafted MacEwen, he went through the drafts without being picked by any team and we signed him as a 20-year old free agent. I would say it is possible MacEwen could be more than a bottom six player, but it's quite unlikely. Virtanen has shown in the WHL that he has the skill to do it and even just this past year, he's already shown he's capable of 20 goals.

Keep in mind--MacEwen is actually older than Virtanen by about a month. This isn't a 21 year old with tons of growing up left to do, we're talking about a guy who just turned 24 years old who's just now breaking into the NHL. There is, however, a great example for what you're hoping for. Burrows was 24 years old when he first broke into the NHL and we all know how great he became. He had a breakout season when he was 26 and at 27 he broke out even more with a 28-goal season.

I'm not saying it's impossible that MacEwen becomes a top six player, but very few players do what Burrows did. Virtanen has already shown glimpses of top six play and he's the same age as MacEwen. Both players appear to be on an upward trajectory, but Virtanen is several steps ahead at the same age.

Which is why I'd like to keep Virtanen on this team moving forward, if that's at all possible

• Cheers 2

On August 10, 2020 at 3:06 PM, Big Red Monster said:

Extremely underrated player, hits and fights when necessary, chips in every now and then with a couple of goals... hopefully if all goes well, he develops into a Jannik Hansen or even a Raffi Torres type of player.

But much bigger and tougher with great speed for his size...Every team needs a MacEwen 6'3, 215, tough gritty and will be great fighter in a few years..

On 8/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Might be a searies he could do more in than Gaudette atm. 

I think we are going to need Zach in for Vegas. they have a lot of pests. (Stone Paccioretti Tuch) and their goon guy. I would rest Sutter a game, he could probably use a rest.

Big Mac on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte,  Move Jake up to the 3rd line with Guadette and  Rooster.

I like Zach's heavy hitting honest game he's been playing. I like how he skates away from scrums calmly. And he knows how to defend himself. Plays big, which helps his team mates play bigger.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think we are going to need Zach in for Vegas. they have a lot of pests. (Stone Paccioretti Tuch) and their goon guy. I would rest Sutter a game, he could probably use a rest.

Big Mac on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte,  Move Jake up to the 3rd line with Guadette and  Rooster.

I questioned sitting Mac for Gaudette but must admit his speed improved the forecheck. I doubt Green changes a winning combo. MacEwan could slot in if injuries affect players. There is no doubt there are players playing hurt. I like so much of what Mac brings but he needs TOI in the regular season to develop his situational awareness. 

It appears that speed is more likely to beat Vegas over physicality. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mac starts off as a 13th forward for the group.  He looks ready to be an NHLer but its one thing to say he is in the lineup every single night.   Thought tried to show elements beyond being a pugilist, made some good plays and overall smarts in the offensive zone on the forecheck. 

Still needs to add a touch more quickness in his skating to be much more effective off the forecheck, be a little bit more stingy in how he handles the puck in the dzone, and be a little bit more mindful when he selects his choices in fighting.

I can recall the game against Columbus when we were up 3-0 and he fought and Columbus had life and stormed back to win the game.  Additionally, the clip above, the Blues were flat all game until that fight against Sanford which allowed them back into the game before we eventually won it.  I think overall I love that he is willing to throw it down with whomever, but he has to pick his spots more thoughtfully.  Green loves toughness, but also wants his guys to be smart about it.

• 4 weeks later...