The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

C   |   6'3"   |   205 lbs

Shoots | Right

Born | 1996-07-08

Birthplace | Charlottetown, PE, CAN

The Canucks have signed QMJHL overager Zack MacEwan - he's billed as a gritty two-way player, and had interest from a couple of other teams. Friedman listed Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Ottawa as competitors a couple of weeks ago and he attended Anaheim's prospect camp last year.

I don't know what to expect from this signing as it seems like he falls into a similar category as Yan-Pavel Laplante as a grinding overager in the high-scoring Q who hasn't put up a ton of points there despite his size advantage over a lot of the younger players. Of course you can rarely go wrong with free prospects, and he'll be a welcome addition to the forward competition in Utica next season. (And you can't teach size, as the saying goes.)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Can't hurt for Utica as a bottom-6 forward over there. Utica just got a lot better with Dahlen, some Goldobin at times, a better Virtanen and now MacEwan (not to mention possibly Juolevi and Boeser).

They have a lot of help coming their way in the next few years

I'm all for taking shots on new kids but the Canucks are really reaching with this guy. 

20 year old, 6'4" with only 62 points in 59 games in his third year in the Q is very dire. I'll consider it a success if he makes the AHL. 

14 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I'm all for taking shots on new kids but the Canucks are really reaching with this guy. 

20 year old, 6'4" with only 62 points in 59 games in his third year in the Q is very dire. I'll consider it a success if he makes the AHL. 

We had competition to sign him.

Maybe teams see 4th line potential?

Also doesn't hurt to have some size and grit with Utica.

Good size. Possibly 4th line material down the road after simmering in the minors for awhile. Never hurts having young guys who are hungry for their opportunity. Either way, need to keep looking under every rock for the next guy, even if it's only for the minors. Organization needs guys, and not just on the big club.

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We had competition to sign him.

Maybe teams see 4th line potential?

Also doesn't hurt to have some size and grit with Utica.

According to Friedman, Tampa and Ottawa "looked at him." Not sure if that means they were genuinely looking to sign him or if they were just scouting. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't think anyone has tried to sell him as the next Lindross guys....

What's our contract slot situation looking like now? That's my concern. The last sentence (or was it second last?) said it for me- between him, Stewart, and Laplante we've got a few long shots now. 

previous game

big size can skate in terms of straight ahead. decent puck pursuit mentality
good along the boards
seems to have soft hands. dangles a lot (plessantly surprised)
like doing coast to coast junior stuff
right handed on left point pp. shows good point shot during pp

Edited by ihaveyuidonttouchme

He seems to have a tantalizing combination of size and skill.  Who knows if it will translate to the NHL but it sure seems worth the shot.  If he can get his skating and agility up to NHL standards who knows?  May as well find out.  GCG!

Don't know anything about him, so will have to do a bit of looking. But, a 6'4" 212 lb C who scored 27 goals and over a point-a-game (so what if it's in the Q). Looks pretty good to me, even if he'll end up staying in Utica. Maybe a solid call up for the 4th line? Nice to know that other teams were interested. Maybe prospects are more willing to come to VAN, because they know they'll have a legit shot at making the team. I wonder if Caggiula is regretting his decision signing with the Oilers. Could've been a part of the new core with Stecher and Boeser. Instead he's in tough to crack the Oilers lineup.  

43 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What's our contract slot situation looking like now? That's my concern. The last sentence (or was it second last?) said it for me- between him, Stewart, and Laplante we've got a few long shots now. 

I think we had four open slots (after slides for Brisebois and Juolevi). So this would leave us with three currently. But some expiring contracts will be coming off the books this summer.

This shouldn't prevent us from signing Dahlén and Boeser (and maybe Gaudette) and still being aggressive in college free agency. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think we had four open slots (after slides for Brisebois and Juolevi). So this would leave us with three currently. But some expiring contracts will be coming off the books this summer.

This shouldn't prevent us from signing Dahlén and Boeser (and maybe Gaudette) and still being aggressive in college free agency. 

You're right about the contracts.

I don't hate this signing. Prospects are prospects. Would've rather signed Curtis Valk but hard to see anything bad with this one. Zack's a big guy (6'4") and likely projects as a 4th liner. One thing people complain about the Canucks is "lack of size" -- well, with Zack, he's not small and that's a good thing. Chances are, Zack's replacing Cole Cassels or Mike Zalewski next year. I think Cole and Mike's deals expire after this season and neither have done enough to warrant being re-signed, if I'm being honest. Cole has not had the rebound year we all hoped for (Cole has 9 points in 46 games this year) and Mike's sort of stumbled this year after a breakout year last year. Chances are, Cole signs elsewhere and the Comets sign Zalewski to another AHL deal.

Zack's only twenty. Giving him three years to make something of himself is not a bad bet. Worst case scenario, he disappears like Kellan Lain or best case scenario -- a new Burrows emerges. Also, you can never have too many centres.

Edited by Quantum