The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

What's our contract slot situation looking like now? That's my concern. The last sentence (or was it second last?) said it for me- between him, Stewart, and Laplante we've got a few long shots now. 

I'm not even sure anymore lol. Pretty sure we have enough guys coming off when his contract kicks in that it won't be a problem with signing college guys etc. 

• Upvote 1

We will have a lot of young players graduating to Utica over the next couple of years and we need to ensure that they are protected. We will need a couple of players like this to ensure teams are not taking liberties with the kids. I think I recall Benning talking about creating a safe work environment and this would be a step in that direction.

57 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm not even sure anymore lol. Pretty sure we have enough guys coming off when his contract kicks in that it won't be a problem with signing college guys etc. 

We are at 46/50, and there will be not contracts coming off the books before the college free agent frenzy starts. So take away two for Boeser and Gaudette and that leaves 2 more for college free agents. That may be enough, but it is definitely pushing it. Seems a shame to spend an NHL contract spot on a guy with a best case scenario of a 4th liner. You can grab guys like this on AHL contracts instead rather than use an NHL slot

1 minute ago, OptionalPants said:

We are at 46/50, and there will be not contracts coming off the books before the college free agent frenzy starts. So take away two for Boeser and Gaudette and that leaves 2 more for college free agents. That may be enough, but it is definitely pushing it. Seems a shame to spend an NHL contract spot on a guy with a best case scenario of a 4th liner. You can grab guys like this on AHL contracts instead rather than use an NHL slot

Can we terminate guys on AHL contracts?  What about Megna, Chapoo, and Skille, don't their contracts come off the books in June?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Can we terminate guys on AHL contracts?  What about Megna, Chapoo, and Skille, don't their contracts come off the books in June?  

the AHL contracts dont matter. They don't count against the 50. Also I hope someone can clarify this, but generally the college free agent signings start before the season ends? So all those guys contracts won't be off the books for another couple of weeks.

Compare this sizable grit with large grass eaters like Grenier.

Then look at what guys like Haley, Reaves & Lucic can do to your smaller grinders(sorry Cram).

Should dedicate 10~20% of our contracts to blokes with grit, speed & belligerence(hopefully a few of these have talent too).

On the topic of contracts - we're at 47/50, and that doesn't include Brisebois or Juolevi since they're exempt from the limit.

I wonder if perhaps the Canucks would look at terminating Anton Cederholm's contract since he was loaned to Sweden this year. If they don't plan on bringing him back to play for the Comets, there really isn't any point in having him take up a spot. Also, Mackenze Stewart mercifully played enough pro games last year to burn a year off his deal so we only have to retain him for one more year after this.

• Upvote 3

Note: probably better to read my edit below before reading this post. I'm leaving the original stuff up just to laugh at myself a little. ;) 

Also re: contracts, it's true that college players tend to sign in April, but that doesn't necessarily have to pose a problem. Benning could easily wait on contracts for our current properties (Boeser, Dahlén, Gaudette) and keep the three slots open while he chases free agents.

The guys we own rights on can be signed at any time. It's true that many college draftees tend to negotiate their deals in April, alongside their free agent teammates, but it's not always the case. They could be made aware of the situation and told that their deals are coming, but formal paperwork may have to wait until the summer.

This would allow us to potentially sign some big name college free agents in April, and then get the guys we own rights on under contract whenever the spots are available.

Contract termination is another option of course (as @stonecoldstevebernier mentions above) to clear spots on the 50 man limit, although there aren't many candidates for this.

And certainly trades are possible (and do happen) after the deadline. The traded players just can't participate in the NHL playoffs. But this wouldn't pose any issues when dealing with nonplayoff teams or moving guys that aren't NHL quality. Could certainly try to move a minor league guy for future considerations.

It's a fairly manageable situation, so long as the Canucks plan accordingly. 

Doesn't have to be a problem. Unless we make it one.

EDIT: Actually, this is all just a silly exercise because as far as I understand the CBA, the 50 contract limit applies to valid contracts for a given season.

Anybody signed for 2017-18 (which is what we're taking about on Boeser, Dahlén, Gaudette, Aston-Reese, and any other college free agent) counts against the 2017-18 season 50 man limit. And that won't include any of the current contracts that expire June 30th 2017.

So we should have lots of slots available. So long as we're signing deals on players for next season.

In a sense, you can have more than 50 contracts signed at one time. So long as you don't have more than 50 contracts that are effective in any given season.

The MacEwen contract is 2016-17 effective (and runs through 2017-18 and 2018-19). So it affects our current season 50 man limit.

However, most of the prospects we would potentially will be signing (current draftees and any undrafted free agents) will be inked to 2017-18 effective contracts. So those deals would count against a 50 man limit that doesn't include any of the expiring 2016-17 contracts.

Clear as mud? :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
A whole whack of corrections

Further to my earlier post (quote from NHL.com):

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. The year varies from contract to contract, but the day remains the same (as we’ll discuss more when we look at player contracts in later editions of the feature). Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

• Upvote 3

CapFriendly has us at 46 contracts currently, and maybe we see MacEwen running with the Comets after his junior season is done to get a look at him. Not expecting a lot, but has some positives so we'll see where it goes.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

CapFriendly has us at 46 contracts currently, and maybe we see MacEwen running with the Comets after his junior season is done to get a look at him. Not expecting a lot, but has some positives so we'll see where it goes.

Yeah, just noticed they'd updated with the terms now. Contract is effective 2017-18 (previously they had him effective 2016-17). Salary about 100K richer than I predicted and has some fairly substantial performance bonuses. Signing bonus and AHL salary right around where I expected.

Looks like he probably benefited from the interest from other teams, as this is a fairly rich ELC for a player of MacEwen's ilk: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/zack-macewen

19 hours ago, Quantum said:

You're right about the contracts.

I don't hate this signing. Prospects are prospects. Would've rather signed Curtis Valk but hard to see anything bad with this one. Zack's a big guy (6'4") and likely projects as a 4th liner. One thing people complain about the Canucks is "lack of size" -- well, with Zack, he's not small and that's a good thing. Chances are, Zack's replacing Cole Cassels or Mike Zalewski next year. I think Cole and Mike's deals expire after this season and neither have done enough to warrant being re-signed, if I'm being honest. Cole has not had the rebound year we all hoped for (Cole has 9 points in 46 games this year) and Mike's sort of stumbled this year after a breakout year last year. Chances are, Cole signs elsewhere and the Comets sign Zalewski to another AHL deal.

Zack's only twenty. Giving him three years to make something of himself is not a bad bet. Worst case scenario, he disappears like Kellan Lain or best case scenario -- a new Burrows emerges. Also, you can never have too many centres.

How many slots does this leave us with though? We also signed a similar player in Abols not too long ago. 

Edit. Just read the latest posts, nvm.

Edited by guntrix

19 minutes ago, guntrix said:

How many slots does this leave us with though? We also signed a similar player in Abols not too long ago. 

Pretty sure those 2 players are nothing alike. Except maybe their age 

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

assigned to the AHL? oh no still the q lol 

Right where Jake should have been for 1 more season,. Junior.

Somethings are worth the wait..   with bigger guys it's  trying to get there speed up, confidence, and muscle agility..

40 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Pretty sure those 2 players are nothing alike. Except maybe their age 

Both are 6'4" 

both can play centre 

both are overagers

both play in the Q

both hover around a PPG output (although Zach is at 65 points in 60 gp after his three assists)

I'd say they're very similar.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like he probably benefited from the interest from other teams, as this is a fairly rich ELC for a player of MacEwen's ilk: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/zack-macewen

Foil can be pricey.

What matters most for marginal guys like him are his desire and compete level, two things that have been pretty much common denominators for every player this management team has brought in:

"Zack is a physical two-way forward who plays in the tough areas and competes with a high intensity every night," said General Manager Jim Benning. "He has good hands especially for a player of his size; combined with an ability to deliver hard checks and stick up for his teammates, Zack is a difficult player to match up against. We're excited to have him join our organization."

For a non-skill guy, he checks all the boxes they're looking for.  Even with skill guys, they don't want perimeter players that take nights off or simply rely on their natural ability.  We've seen the increased compete level of the team this year already, and there's more of that to come as the transition continues.