The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Looks like Big Mac had himself a scrap tonight!

Anybody get to see it and see how he faired?

I think it was Molino actually but maybe got recorded as MacEwen?

Didn’t see the game but apparently MacEwen took a scary hit and was down a while before leaving the ice under his own power and didn’t return to the game.

Later Lewington and Molino fought (according to several reports) but AHL website seems to have recorded MacEwen with the fight.

EDIT: Comets thread has the details. Colby Williams crushed MacEwen with a big (maybe dirty) open ice hit. Zack was down, trainer came out, MacEwen went off and never returned to the game. Molino tried to get Williams back:

Molino then got jumped by Lewington (who ended up taking an instigator). And Bancks eventually fought Williams (in retaliation for the MacEwen hit). At least I think that’s how it went down?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it was Molino actually but maybe got recorded as MacEwen?

Didn’t see the game but apparently MacEwen took a scary hit and was down a while before leaving the ice under his own power and didn’t return to the game.

Later Lewington and Molino fought (according to several reports) but AHL website seems to have recorded MacEwen with the fight.

EDIT: Comets thread has the details. Colby Williams crushed MacEwen with a big (maybe dirty) open ice hit. Zack was down, trainer came out, MacEwen went off and never returned to the game. Molino tried to get Williams back:

Molino then got jumped by Lewington (who ended up taking an instigator). And Bancks eventually fought Williams (in retaliation for the MacEwen hit). At least I think that’s how it went down?

Thanks for clarifying that for me I'd just seen the game summary they apparently had wrong. Good you followed up with all the happenings though clearly a lot went on during this game.

Hopefully the big guy is ok they could really use and really need that big body and skill in the playoffs.

Good on his teammates having his back as they should although hard to really tell from that small clip but looks to me like Williams might have left his feet and contact was to the head.

23 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Thanks for clarifying that for me I'd just seen the game summary they apparently had wrong. Good you followed up with all the happenings though clearly a lot went on during this game.

Hopefully the big guy is ok they could really use and really need that big body and skill in the playoffs.

Good on his teammates having his back as they should although hard to really tell from that small clip but looks to me like Williams might have left his feet and contact was to the head.

The hit in that clip is actually Molino hitting Joe Whitney. That is what lead to the Molino fight.  The hit that MacEwen was injured on was a neutral zone open ice hit. Big Mac has a bad habit of skating through the neutral zone with his head down and 90% of the players in the AHL do not take advantage of a vulnerable player like that but there are a few that will.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this fight against Latta,

4-5 years older than MacEwan, and a fight card 2 arm lengths longer than Zack.

Zack is going to surprise us bigger next season, at aprx. .5ppg ,  this kid is a beauty.

Hope to see him feed off the excitement of the playoffs.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/140047 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Zack is going to surprise us bigger next season, at aprx. .5ppg ,  this kid is a beauty.

This kid has figured out what he needs to do to be an NHL player.  He might make our team next season in a bottom six role?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Man the call on that fight is funny. So one-sided despite Zack very much holding his own. Audio only and you’d think Latta absolutely destroyed MacEwan and the kid ended up stretchered off. When in fact, other than maybe eating that one shot near the end, the fight was very even and Zack got in some good punches himself, especially during the early sequence.

EDIT: here’s an embed

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This kid has figured out what he needs to do to be an NHL player.  He might make our team next season in a bottom six role?

A good playoff run, or even a disappointing one..  Zack , by all accounts of any interviews I’ve read, is very determined and goal orientated.. he will push strong for the Nuck’s next season absolutely..   the question is, do you want to bring him up only to have this strong YOUNG man destroyed by a Ryan Reaves or other meat hound.  There’s a mental edge that sometimes needs to be protected with youth, .

as much as I would love to see Big Mac with us next season, a half season or one more in Utica will not hurt him or us..  it would help keep the farm solid, and Zack solid for the call up, which would happen soon into next season.

Its Zacks TOTAL game, and that means mentally, as much as physically, that needs to be protected.

Kid can skate above average with great skills... let’s give him  a chance to Stick when he arrives.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

A good playoff run, or even a disappointing one..  Zack , by all accounts of any interviews I’ve read, is very determined and goal orientated.. he will push strong for the Nuck’s next season absolutely..   the question is, do you want to bring him up only to have this strong YOUNG man destroyed by a Ryan Reaves or other meat hound.  There’s a mental edge that sometimes needs to be protected with youth, .

as much as I would love to see Big Mac with us next season, a half season or one more in Utica will not hurt him or us..  it would help keep the farm solid, and Zack solid for the call up, which would happen soon into next season.

I think Gaunce really needs to be looking over his shoulder.  Guys like Zack and Gadjovic are coming to take those spots, and those new guys will bring some actual snarl and bite. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Gaunce really needs to be looking over his shoulder.  Guys like Zack and Gadjovic are coming to take those spots, and those new guys will bring some actual snarl and bite. 

Guance came back stronger after his injury and conditioning stint in Utica this season.

The AHL , our farm team Utica, is becoming a great barn for our horses to develop in. Benning needs credit for this.. he is setting up what the Canuck organization has never effectively had.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Man the call on that fight is funny. So one-sided despite Zack very much holding his own. Audio only and you’d think Latta absolutely destroyed MacEwan and the kid ended up stretchered off. When in fact, other than maybe eating that one shot near the end, the fight was very even and Zack got in some good punches himself, especially during the early sequence.

EDIT: here’s an embed

I think this was the announcers first fight. He didn't even know what was happening. Massive right, takes him down....? All they did was pull each others helmets off and get some jabs in. Then MacEwen gets him in a headlock, and they go down. 

23 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think this was the announcers first fight. He didn't even know what was happening. Massive right, takes him down....? All they did was pull each others helmets off and get some jabs in. Then MacEwen gets him in a headlock, and they go down. 

"Pops MacEwen and throws him down to the ice"... while Latta was knocked down to his knees and MacEwen tooling him up.  Perhaps he had them mixed up?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Pops MacEwen and throws him down to the ice"... while Latta was knocked down to his knees and MacEwen tooling him up.  Perhaps he had them mixed up?

And when Latta knocks the helmet off, the announcer says he “pops MacEwan right on the nose.”

I wish I had that guy as a commentator on my life. I’d be winning so much! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1