The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

MacEwan has some size and can look after himself but he is in no way a scrapper who looks for fights. Its not fair or appropriate to put that job on him. Yan Pavel Laplante on the other hand is a guy who likes fighting and could replace dorsette as our enforcer but his hockey skills are not at an NHL level yet. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I only watched him a bit at the Young Stars. He has something to him. He's one of those guys you hate to play against. When your facing off you look up at who's coming off the opposition bench. You see him and think "crap, him again"

• Upvote 3

Could be our future 4th line center.

1. Horvat/Pettersson

2. Horvat/Pettersson

3. Gaudette

4. MacEwen

I see the 4th line having a much larger role in the future of hockey. Plus, if Pettersson ends up sticking to wing (Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser ::D), MacEwen could move up.

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Gaudette - Lind

Gadjovich -              - Virtanen 

Leipsic  -  MacEwen  - Palmu 

Started watching MacEwan late in his in his Gatineau period, before the 'nucks signed him. Of course my interest went way up once he was signed. He was great at the CHL level, but I don't remember him being a 'distributor' of the puck. I see him as a wing, or a Sutter type centre at best. Way, way too early to start pencilling him in as a centre, but maybe a cup of coffee on the wing next season.

Edited by SingleThorn

28 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Started watching MacEwan late in his in his Gatineau period, before the 'nucks signed him. Of course my interest went way up once he was signed. He was great at the CHL level, but I don't remember him being a 'distributor' of the puck. I see him as a wing, or a Sutter type centre at best. Way, way too early to start pencilling him in as a centre, but maybe a cup of coffee on the wing next season.

MacEwan  with the wright wingers would flourish. Speed and size at center are a must, given the opportunity he might surprise people 

16 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

MacEwan will surprise allot of people this year he is a late bloomer played with the right forwards he will be a 2nd line center coming up.

This is the same type of thing that was said about Grenier. I agree he has room to improve his game and will, but the question is will he become a good player in Utica only or will he be able to translate success into the NHL.

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

This is the same type of thing that was said about Grenier. I agree he has room to improve his game and will, but the question is will he become a good player in Utica only or will he be able to translate success into the NHL.

He brings more skill and is willing to go to the hard areas .we need centers that are willing. speed skill grit, put skill with him and let him flourish. 

12 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

He brings more skill and is willing to go to the hard areas .we need centers that are willing. speed skill grit, put skill with him and let him flourish. 

And like I said, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the next level.

Grenier was a top player for the Comets for a number of seasons. He got tried with the Sedins in a preseason game. He had size and skill enough to do the dirty work and finish with a goal, something he did often enough in the AHL

Will MacEwen be the same, or will he be better? That's the question we're waiting to find out.

16 hours ago, elvis15 said:

And like I said, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the next level.

Grenier was a top player for the Comets for a number of seasons. He got tried with the Sedins in a preseason game. He had size and skill enough to do the dirty work and finish with a goal, something he did often enough in the AHL

Will MacEwen be the same, or will he be better? That's the question we're waiting to find out.

MacEwen is faster, stronger and more of a battler than Grennier....more dynamic in all aspects of his game really...so I expect he will be a star 4th liner but also capable of moving up the lineup whereas Greenier had to be top 6 to make it... 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

MacEwen is faster, stronger and more of a battler than Grennier....more dynamic in all aspects of his game really...so I expect he will be a star 4th liner but also capable of moving up the lineup whereas Greenier had to be top 6 to make it... 

I like Mac but the way you are describing him, he is going nto be our new star centre next year.:)

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

At last year's development camp, he seemed more like a puck hog. 

He's definitely a power forward, go to the net, do-it-yourself kind of guy, though he has quite soft hands. Not a playmaker at all, as of last year's dev camp. You also have to remember that he was "the guy" on his junior team behind Vitaly Abramov, so was probably used to being leaned on to make things happen.

@UticaHockey, still much the same regarding his less-than-excellent passing/vision.distribution?

5b5c97bc37df5_ScreenShot2018-07-28at9_19_42AM.png.fd7331f762bdd32682e306b499e14ebc.png

10 minutes ago, Guile said:

He's definitely a power forward, go to the net, do-it-yourself kind of guy, though he has quite soft hands. Not a playmaker at all, as of last year's dev camp. You also have to remember that he was "the guy" on his junior team behind Vitaly Abramov, so was probably used to being leaned on to make things happen.

Nice thing I see about those stats. When it came time to play pressure hockey (the playoffs) Zach apparently concentrated on hockey and scoring. Only 2 PIM as opposed to the Russian players getting a lot. Also, almost a goal per game. Nice

I think Zach is going to get a call up this year at some point, should he continue his positive learning curve. He then should be in contention for a slot on the 19-20 season

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1