Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

23 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Let's see:

To start the year:

Petterson / Bo / Boeser

Baer / Gaudette / Virtanen

Sedins/ Erikkson ( if I have to ...I guess)

Gaunce / Sutter / MacEwen

Granlund or Goldy

without the Sedins there is room for Goldy and Dahlen.... with MacEwen or Petterson at centre..and Dowd as the 13th forward....

If the twins come back its to play top 6 minutes in my opinion. They better anyway if they get 4m or higher. Plus less pressure on Gaudette or Sutter

I dont see Gaudette immediately being a 2nd line C, likely #4C, nor do I see Jake getting 2nd line minutes until he has earned Greens trust and reduces his major turnovers.

Mac may get a call up at some point unless he comes to camp and just plays lights out. We have Virt and Goldy who need to clear waivers.

Goldy needs to play top 9 or we better trade him so we dont lose him on waivers.

Could also see Green play EP with the Twins and keep Baer or try Goldy on the top line as the playmaker.

Dark horse maybe Dahlen comes to camp and impresses also?

Gaunce could be going on waivers next fall if it boils down to him vs Jake. No chance we risk losing Virt while Gaunce is well a spare part easy to obtain, no offence like the guy but him and Dowd are fringe nhlers. Dowd better sign for cheap if he wants to return, but Gaudette if he plays this spring could make Canucks just let him walk. Just got too many F and some key prospects being waiver eligible does complicate who we retain for next year

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Let's see:

To start the year:

Petterson / Bo / Boeser

Baer / Gaudette / Virtanen

Sedins/ Erikkson ( if I have to ...I guess)

Gaunce / Sutter / MacEwen

Granlund or Goldy

without the Sedins there is room for Goldy and Dahlen.... with MacEwen or Petterson at centre..and Dowd as the 13th forward....

Yup, so would have to move Vanek, Gagner somehow, and not re-sign the Sedins.  Seems like we're unlikely to do all that, as they've always played cautious with keeping enough vets around, and especially this year, NHL-level depth.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

If the twins come back its to play top 6 minutes in my opinion. They better anyway if they get 4m or higher. Plus less pressure on Gaudette or Sutter

I dont see Gaudette immediately being a 2nd line C, likely #4C, nor do I see Jake getting 2nd line minutes until he has earned Greens trust and reduces his major turnovers.

Mac may get a call up at some point unless he comes to camp and just plays lights out. We have Virt and Goldy who need to clear waivers.

Goldy needs to play top 9 or we better trade him so we dont lose him on waivers.

Could also see Green play EP with the Twins and keep Baer or try Goldy on the top line as the playmaker.

Gaunce could be going on waivers next fall if it boils down to him vs Jake. No chance we risk losing Virt while Gaunce is well a spare part easy to obtain, no offence like the guy but him and Dowd are fringe nhlers. Dowd better sign for cheap if he wants to return, but Gaudette if he plays this spring could make Canucks just let him walk. Just got too many F and some key prospects being waiver eligible does complicate who we retain for next year

With a healthy lineup ...the twins are not playing top 6 minutes this year...without EP or Gaudette...if they come back next year it will have to be third line minutes and behind Sutter as well (on my 4th line, but PK minutes may put Sutter ahead in minutes...

The tops they should get is $3M for one year...second line pay for third line play....

43 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

With a healthy lineup ...the twins are not playing top 6 minutes this year...without EP or Gaudette...if they come back next year it will have to be third line minutes and behind Sutter as well (on my 4th line, but PK minutes may put Sutter ahead in minutes...

The tops they should get is $3M for one year...second line pay for third line play....

2nd line players do not make $3m :lol:

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Our F group is healthy now. Who is getting 2nd line minutes and top pp time? Think that is the Twins. Sure at the start of the year they werent, but honestly if the Sedins didnt get more ice time with the injuries and score like they have we would have probably not won a single game. We all would like them to be 3rd liners next year but I dont see legit top 6 talent to supplant them from our 2nd line.

Too many question marks as to who will make the jump to the nhl and succeed as a top 6 impact player right away or what if any FA signings of top 6 F will happen come July 1.

I agree with you tho, they should sign 1yr at a max of 3m per. That should be what they get and they can be the 2/3 line guys with 2nd unit PP time

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

If the Sedins aren’t playing top six minutes and PP, I don’t see how they could be effective or useful.  They are not very good in their own end, so that leaves young guys with almost all the own zone starts.  That puts our guys we are trying to break in slowly under a lot of pressure - better that our third line be of the likes of Sutter, Granlund, and Erickson.  If they stay, the youngsters won’t be playing - which could be okay, they could develop them in the minors.  If we manage to trade Vanek, and (unlikely) Gagner that would give us one or two spots.  Still, a good enough young player could be good enough this fall to force the Canucks to push out a vet by trade or waiver.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=175199

late start to his first pro season and presently a little better than .5ppg ...   the size and strength that comes with this kids skill is also impressive.

A great signing for us,. A Dark Horse charging up.

I haven't seen him play a whole game, pretty much just hi lights. His stats look really good and he shows enough physical restraint to make you think he is aware of when physicality is actually needed. Nice that he has Archibald and Labate. He has decent offensive upside. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=175199

late start to his first pro season and presently a little better than .5ppg ...   the size and strength that comes with this kids skill is also impressive.

A great signing for us,. A Dark Horse charging up.

Interesting, MacEwen is 6-16-22 in 42 games. Last year, Virtanen in Utica was 9-10-19 in 65 games.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I haven't seen him play a whole game, pretty much just hi lights. His stats look really good and he shows enough physical restraint to make you think he is aware of when physicality is actually needed. Nice that he has Archibald and Labate. He has decent offensive upside. 

Seems to know his lanes, and when to be at the net. I know his skating ability is above average, espescialy for his size.

Nice Package ;) 

On 29/01/2018 at 4:39 PM, Jester13 said:

Can't we just have a Canucks prospects thread that is specifically for discussing all prospects and even the team?  

Sorry, but every time I visit a player prospect thread I instantly forget which player I clicked because the discussion is about everything but the specific player. 

(I'm not as upset as that probably comes across, FWIW.) 

I sure hope not, cause you were literally yelling this in my head

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Zack MacEwan had a goal and an assist in Utica's 4-3 victory over the Belleville Senators. His game winning goal helped earn him 1st star in the game tonight. He has 7 goals and 17 assists for 24 points in 44 games. 

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1017841

...Sounds like he is cleared for takeoff...Zackattack coming to a rink near you....sooon...I already have him penciled in on our fourth line next year.

On 2018-01-29 at 1:14 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, so would have to move Vanek, Gagner somehow, and not re-sign the Sedins.  Seems like we're unlikely to do all that, as they've always played cautious with keeping enough vets around, and especially this year, NHL-level depth.

If it means losing prospects to waivers, don’t bring back the Sedins or Vanek, waive Gagner - even if we have to pay him big bucks to play in the AHL (if he clears waivers).  Let’s stop pretending we aren’t in a full rebuild.  We are.  We cannot afford to lose prospects to provide a retirement home for has beens.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If it means losing prospects to waivers, don’t bring back the Sedins or Vanek, waive Gagner - even if we have to pay him big bucks to play in the AHL (if he clears waivers).  Let’s stop pretending we aren’t in a full rebuild.  We are.  We cannot afford to lose prospects to provide a retirement home for has beens.

As of now, I'm projecting that we shouldn't bring the Sedins back, but things could change as soon as the 26th.  Perhaps we move a different forward(s) to clear roster space then or in the off-season.  It doesn't hurt to keep prospects developing a bit longer, but at some point the nostalgia has to end and page has to turn.  The wildcard is what ownership has to do with it -- hopefully near zero when it comes to roster/personnel decisions, but even they have to see that it's time to move on.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Goldobin is really the only guy that's a waiver risk that's 50/50 on making the team next year. 

Shouldn't be hard to make room for him assuming he earns a spot.