The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Man the call on that fight is funny. So one-sided despite Zack very much holding his own. Audio only and you’d think Latta absolutely destroyed MacEwan and the kid ended up stretchered off. When in fact, other than maybe eating that one shot near the end, the fight was very even and Zack got in some good punches himself, especially during the early sequence.

EDIT: here’s an embed

I give the W to Mac on that one, not sure what the play by play was smoking

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I missed this fight against Latta,

4-5 years older than MacEwan, and a fight card 2 arm lengths longer than Zack.

Zack is going to surprise us bigger next season, at aprx. .5ppg ,  this kid is a beauty.

Hope to see him feed off the excitement of the playoffs.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/140047 

I completely agree.

I've been following Big Mac closely since the prospects tournament where he really caught my eye along with Chatfield as 2 kids who maybe aren't as appreciated as much as our bigger name prospects but 2 guys imo who will be just as good as our best kids and play a very important role in a winning team. I thought Big Mac really really stood out showed me he has some real special talents to go with his size.

We really need some of our bigger prospects to shine to offset the slighter skilled players and I really think we're going to have and that group with size and physical potential in Virtanen, Big Mac, Lind, Gadjovich, Guance and Lockwood.

I think many of these kids really will have what it takes to bring their different style game to create a very much needed balanced lineup and again lots of credit to our GM on some solid under the radar key future signings.

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I missed this fight against Latta,

4-5 years older than MacEwan, and a fight card 2 arm lengths longer than Zack.

Zack is going to surprise us bigger next season, at aprx. .5ppg ,  this kid is a beauty.

Hope to see him feed off the excitement of the playoffs.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/140047 

I completely agree.

I've been following Big Mac closely since the prospects tournament where he really caught my eye along with Chatfield as 2 kids who maybe aren't as appreciated as much as our bigger name prospects but 2 guys imo who will be just as good as our best kids and play a very important role in a winning team. I thought Big Mac really really stood out showed me he has some real special talents to go with his size.

We really need some of our bigger prospects to shine to offset the slighter skilled players and I really think we're going to have and that group with size and physical potential in Virtanen, Big Mac, Lind, Gadjovich, Guance and Lockwood.

I think many of these kids really will have what it takes to bring their heavy physical style of game to create a very much needed balanced lineup and again lots of credit to our GM on some solid under the radar key future signings.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I completely agree.

I think many of these kids really will have what it takes to bring their heavy physical style of game to create a very much needed balanced lineup and again lots of credit to our GM on some solid under the radar key future signings.

Agree with you too BL,  a lot of credit not given to Benning for building from the farm up.  His scouting proved to be a huge part of Boston’s strengths on the ice..  Happy to have Benning and that bean town mentality with us.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I completely agree.

Lockwood plays gritty and physical, but he's far from big........his body is showing the effects of his style of play too.

• 3 weeks later...

0.5PPG as a rookie in a pro league is quite good. Could definitely be a quality 3rd/4th liner in a year or two.

Another guy that will be fighting for a spot next training camp and I think he has the chance to surprise and earn a spot.

MacEwen and Chatfield are my dark horses to make the NHL next season

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

0.5PPG as a rookie in a pro league is quite good. Could definitely be a quality 3rd/4th liner in a year or two.

Another guy that will be fighting for a spot next training camp and I think he has the chance to surprise and earn a spot.

I agree that MacEwen has a shot. The Canucks will want someone to take on the "physical tough guy" role that Dorsett held until he was forced to retire. I think Archie has the inside track for that spot. He certainly did well in Canucks' late surge this season. But he has not been re-signed yet and it is possible that MacEwen gets that spot instead.

But he is still a long shot. However, he has already outperformed the expectations of some, including Jeremy Davis at the Canucks Army, who was very critical when MacEwen was signed last year: See https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/04/canucks-throw-away-contract-on-chl-free-agent-zack-macewen/..

Davis revised his opinion recently. See https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/19/zack-macewen-is-better-than-i-thought-he-would-be/

Davis did a good job in both articles. Using data to generate expected performance for players is worthwhile, but there is always a fair amount of variance left over and some guys beat the odds. MacEwen beat the odds last year but he will have to do it to an even greater extent this year to make the Canucks.

It is hard to see how both Archie and MacEwen could make the team, given the competition for forward spots.

As for Chatfield, I only seem him the mix if Tanev is traded, which I think would be a mistake. Right now the depth on the right side of Tanev, Stecher, Gudranson and Biega looks pretty solid and the Canucks could sign a UFA as well. But there is always the possibility of injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

You know what, I can't say that I ever had any hope for this kid to develop into an NHL regular but I LOVE that attitude. 

Hope he proves me wrong. 

I feel the same way

Agree Retro.. This kid IS talented, hope others dont get fooled into thinking he can be the next possible tuff guy for the Canucks just because he is big. Zack offers more than that, far more. He out performed Jake V in Utica, thats not saying a lot, . But .5ppg IS.

And to hear his own quotes about upgrading and training in the confidence, cardio, and skating departments WITH a personal trainer this off season, there is no doubt ZM is setting a high bar and goal setting himself to meet the Big League criteria.

Im excited for Zack, I was exicted for our franchise when he signed with us, he oozes talent and potential.  Hope he dosent get side barred by low expectation fans only looking for a fighter, they’re almost extinct for a reason.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Agree Retro.. This kid IS talented, hope others dont get fooled into thinking he can be the next possible tuff guy for the Canucks just because he is big. Zack offers more than that, far more. He out performed Jake V in Utica, thats not saying a lot, . But .5ppg IS.

And to hear his own quotes about upgrading and training in the confidence, cardio, and skating departments WITH a personal trainer this off season, there is no doubt ZM is setting a high bar and goal setting himself to meet the Big League criteria.

Im excited for Zack, I was exicted for our franchise when he signed with us, he oozes talent and potential.  Hope he dosent get side barred by low expectation fans only looking for a fighter, they’re almost extinct for a reason.

Couldn't agree more. Who doesn't want a guy that plays tough, but also produces offence. Contenders need players that are fast, strong and skilled deep in their lineup and MacEwen has every possibility of being that guy for us!

Because he was signed as a free agent one would think he'd be older then 21, but being that age shows the room and time for further growth he has in front of him.

He is most likely in Utica next year and I expect he'd be centring higher skilled wingers coming in such as Lind, Palmu, Dahlen, Motte, Gadjovich and Jasek....

Get stoked, he's going to have a great year!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My thoughts haven't changed on this kid. He stands a pretty good chance of at least being a call-up during the season next year, and firm competition for a full time spot in the 19-20 season. I think one or both of Archie and Gaunce need to be looking over their shoulders at Zack.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

My thoughts haven't changed on this kid. He stands a pretty good chance of at least being a call-up during the season next year, and firm competition for a full time spot in the 19-20 season. I think one or both of Archie and Gaunce need to be looking over their shoulders at Zack.

A Guadette / MacEwen tandem might look interesting ;) 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

We could use a body like his in our lineup.  How's his skating?  

Good, Its odd seeing your potential approval of a prospect ;) 

haha jokes aside he could be a very strong player in the future. Size, skill and good (not great) skating.

A hard-nosed power forward that doesn't do any one thing to a particularly outstanding degree, but does the little things right. He skates well, albeit not with the balance or agility of an elite skater. He has a nose for the net and a quick release on his shot. Defensively active and backchecks hard. Wins a majority of his puck battles, but has to be a bit more consistent in his physical assertion. Must work on his vision, on-ice awareness, and passing as he continues to grow and become more confident. Lots of positive signs in his development and is starting to put the pieces together for a solid career. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)     [From Elite Prospects]

Doesn't tell of his pro game, but shows how good of a prospect he is, even before his awesome rookie season!

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

A player who exceeds expectations and makes tremendous strides in their development deserves the recognition.

I've heard nothing but good things about this guy and we could really use a 6'4 body.  Hopefully he pans out 

`Here too... media folks are vastly underestimating Zack because they simply can't clue into something about him that i experienced myself at his age. I'm almost as tall as he is and it WAS NOT easy to get used to. They also said he was 2 years behind in his development and big surprise that it took me a cpl of years to adjust to my height as well but once i got used to it and trained hard it got so much easier and it was even another year or so before it all came together (speed, skill, and thinking) all balanced the same will make loads of difference to him as well.

Under achiever as they call him? I doubt it highly but it's even better he hired a skills coach and skating coach for the summer to work on his game...  yes i'm praying he works out too because besides Guddy and Archie, nucks are a pretty soft team.

On 18/04/2018 at 2:02 AM, stawns said:

I give the W to Mac on that one, not sure what the play by play was smoking

Yep, I turned the sound off and the most Latta could have hoped for was a draw. MacEwen edged it as he was pummelling him all the way out of the melee.

On 18/04/2018 at 8:35 PM, stawns said:

Lockwood plays gritty and physical, but he's far from big........his body is showing the effects of his style of play too.

Not only that but he has been advised to alter his style to be less combative as it was incurring too many injuries.