The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Not only that but he has been advised to alter his style to be less combative as it was incurring too many injuries.

Funny thing is that on the plays he’s actually gotten seriously hurt, I don’t really think changing up his style would have done much to avoid the injuries.

Unless he’s expected to stop going to the net on scoring plays and stop chasing down loose pucks (the puck IIRC was in the corner and Lockwood was going for it and then he let up as a teammate pulled in front of him).

I’m really not sure he could be much of a hockey player if he didn’t do the things he’s trying to do in those clips.

For me, Lockwood has just been really unlucky. But I don’t blame his style of play for the shoulder injuries.

The most recent one, he has a clear path to the net, isn’t even really looking for contact, and gets spun around awkwardly and falls hard during the dodgy ice conditions at an outdoor game.

The earlier injury, he’s moving toward a loose puck, holds up as a teammate pulls in front of him, and then he gets shoved from behind, right in the numbers, and he puts his arm up to protect himself from going head first into the boards.

Neither of these plays strike me as consequences of playing an overly aggressive and reckless style. Other than possibly opponents targeting Lockwood for payback. But I think even your typical “soft as butter” forward could run into these exact situations and likely would end up getting hurt.

Hard to think of an effective way to change up his playing style to avoid these kinds of situations. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Funny thing is that on the plays he’s actually gotten seriously hurt, I don’t really think changing up his style would have done much to avoid the injuries.

Unless he’s expected to stop going to the net on scoring plays and stop chasing down loose pucks (the puck IIRC was in the corner and Lockwood was going for it and then he let up as a teammate pulled in front of him).

I’m really not sure he could be much of a hockey player if he didn’t do the things he’s trying to do in those clips.

For me, Lockwood has just been really unlucky. But I don’t blame his style of play for the shoulder injuries.

The most recent one, he has a clear path to the net, isn’t even really looking for contact, and gets spun around awkwardly and falls hard during the dodgy ice conditions at an outdoor game.

The earlier injury, he’s moving toward a loose puck, holds up as a teammate pulls in front of him, and then he gets shoved from behind, right in the numbers, and he puts his arm up to protect himself from going head first into the boards.

Neither of these plays strike me as consequences of playing an overly aggressive and reckless style. Other than possibly opponents targeting Lockwood for payback. But I think even your typical “soft as butter” forward could run into these exact situations and likely would end up getting hurt.

Hard to think of an effective way to change up his playing style to avoid these kinds of situations. 

I'm just saying what I read. Apparently his coach said he was just about the most combative player on the team. He apparently lives to hit and check and it has been doing that which has given him an injury history. 

Re the videos, I agree with you, there is not much he could have done. However without having seen the game, maybe he was going about hammering opponents and they just decided to get nasty.

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm just saying what I read. Apparently his coach said he was just about the most combative player on the team. He apparently lives to hit and check and it has been doing that which has given him an injury history. 

Re the videos, I agree with you, there is not much he could have done. However without having seen the game, maybe he was going about hammering opponents and they just decided to get nasty.

Yeah, I’ve heard/read the same comments. Even Lockwood himself states in one interview that he’s been told he should change things up to avoid risking further injury. I just disagree strongly with the idea of him needing to change his style. Other than maybe learning to anticipate and be a bit more aware of danger. But as far as being aggressive and pushing the pace and physicality, I don’t want him to let off (other than while he’s rehabbing and testing out his shoulder in early games). Assuming his treatment goes well and he recovers 100%, it’s my hope he sticks with his bread and butter game. He’s an absolute joy to watch when he’s really going. I’ve seen several full games from him in college, and yeah, he’s an absolute missile out there and has everybody looking over there shoulders. But I’ve honestly never seen him get hurt or even look at risk of being hurt from him playing an agressive, and even at times reckless, style. I’ve only seen him injured on plays (like in those clips) that pretty much every hockey player can fall victim to. 

EDIT: I suppose we should take any further comments to the Lockwood thread. Sorry for highjacking MacEwen’s for a minute. :) 

On 5/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, JamesB said:

I agree that MacEwen has a shot. The Canucks will want someone to take on the "physical tough guy" role that Dorsett held until he was forced to retire. I think Archie has the inside track for that spot. He certainly did well in Canucks' late surge this season. But he has not been re-signed yet and it is possible that MacEwen gets that spot instead.

But he is still a long shot. However, he has already outperformed the expectations of some, including Jeremy Davis at the Canucks Army, who was very critical when MacEwen was signed last year: See https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/04/canucks-throw-away-contract-on-chl-free-agent-zack-macewen/..

Davis revised his opinion recently. See https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/19/zack-macewen-is-better-than-i-thought-he-would-be/

Davis did a good job in both articles. Using data to generate expected performance for players is worthwhile, but there is always a fair amount of variance left over and some guys beat the odds. MacEwen beat the odds last year but he will have to do it to an even greater extent this year to make the Canucks.

It is hard to see how both Archie and MacEwen could make the team, given the competition for forward spots.

As for Chatfield, I only seem him the mix if Tanev is traded, which I think would be a mistake. Right now the depth on the right side of Tanev, Stecher, Gudranson and Biega looks pretty solid and the Canucks could sign a UFA as well. But there is always the possibility of injury.

You re-sign Archie for 2 years one way as he's earned it over years in Utica. That takes him to 29, then you bring in MacEwen at 23 years old after a few years in the minors where he's hopefully built on this year, learned to play an even better 2 way game, etc...Nothing wrong with that And if Archie still has his legs, he's a solid depth guy to have around like Biega, especially come playoff time.

• Like 1

On 2018-05-10 at 1:35 AM, The 5th Line said:

We could use a body like his in our lineup.  How's his skating?  

On 2018-05-10 at 1:47 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Good, Its odd seeing your potential approval of a prospect ;) 

haha jokes aside he could be a very strong player in the future. Size, skill and good (not great) skating.

A hard-nosed power forward that doesn't do any one thing to a particularly outstanding degree, but does the little things right. He skates well, albeit not with the balance or agility of an elite skater. He has a nose for the net and a quick release on his shot. Defensively active and backchecks hard. Wins a majority of his puck battles, but has to be a bit more consistent in his physical assertion. Must work on his vision, on-ice awareness, and passing as he continues to grow and become more confident. Lots of positive signs in his development and is starting to put the pieces together for a solid career. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)     [From Elite Prospects]

Doesn't tell of his pro game, but shows how good of a prospect he is, even before his awesome rookie season!

I think for his size his skating is above average,.  I like to browse the the hilights of prospects in their final year of Major Junior or similar at an international level. Usually these kids are playing with the confidence and poise at that last level that one might assume they will reach again after 2-3 years at the pro level.

Dig up McEwans highlites on youTube..   not to sound so outstanding, but i saw reflections  of a young Mario.

Zack could potentially be very good in all aspects of his game, more so, the curve he is on for learning and progression is meeting and matching his own goal orientation, all is positive about this kid.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 2:43 PM, EuroCanuck said:

You re-sign Archie for 2 years one way as he's earned it over years in Utica. That takes him to 29, then you bring in MacEwen at 23 years old after a few years in the minors where he's hopefully built on this year, learned to play an even better 2 way game, etc...Nothing wrong with that And if Archie still has his legs, he's a solid depth guy to have around like Biega, especially come playoff time.

Archie won't get a 2 year deal but I am more than alright for a 1 year 1 way. He did not play enough games for anything more. A 1 way would be the bonus. He puts in a season playing like he did and he gets a better deal or could walk as a UFA.  

On 2018-05-10 at 5:38 AM, alfstonker said:

Not only that but he has been advised to alter his style to be less combative as it was incurring too many injuries.

Imo, if that's the style that got him drafted, then he shouldn't change a thing. 

A good example of a player whose playing style is a direct factor in his injuries is Tanev. 

Do we want him to change his style?

I don't think so, seeing as it's his style of play that makes him a great defender. If not for his willingness to sacrifice his body, Tanev is nowhere near as good as he is.

The same thing can be said of Lockwood. If he's not the feisty player that he is; Does he even get drafted? 

I have to think the sandpaper he brings is part of the reason JB took him in the third round. 

The fact is, combative players are prone to injuries. It's the way it's always been and it's the way it always will be. It is also a fact that if he gets his chance with the big club, it's a part of his game we will embrace and love.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Archie won't get a 2 year deal but I am more than alright for a 1 year 1 way. He did not play enough games for anything more. A 1 way would be the bonus. He puts in a season playing like he did and he gets a better deal or could walk as a UFA.  

They may “reward” him as a sign of the culture they want. Beiga is a perfect comp and he got two years and a very similar story, value add and contribution to the team. And green really likes him. Given his age I will be surprised if the Canucks don’t give him 2 years given the dues he’s paid to get to the NHL level. He’s a leader, tough (can take Dorset’s role), helps provide the “safe environment” for the kids and has shown he wants it over his years in the AHL. Who takes on Dorset’s role otherwise? No one

Edited by EuroCanuck
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tas said:

archibald only played well for 3 or 4 games before wilting like he did with his first call up way back when. 

it's time to cut bait on arch. 

I predicted that  - but guess what? I didn't see it like that at all.

On the contrary I thought Archi did well in almost every game he played. 

You know it's not always easy performing well every night in a team that is struggling through injuries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Imo, if that's the style that got him drafted, then he shouldn't change a thing. 

A good example of a player whose playing style is a direct factor in his injuries is Tanev. 

Do we want him to change his style?

I don't think so, seeing as it's his style of play that makes him a great defender. If not for his willingness to sacrifice his body, Tanev is nowhere near as good as he is.

The same thing can be said of Lockwood. If he's not the feisty player that he is; Does he even get drafted? 

I have to think the sandpaper he brings is part of the reason JB took him in the third round. 

The fact is, combative players are prone to injuries. It's the way it's always been and it's the way it always will be. It is also a fact that if he gets his chance with the big club, it's a part of his game we will embrace and love.

I think I agreed with you until you mentioned Tanev.

He'd better change his style. He just refuses to get out of the way of checks. That is not a help to his game, it is a hinderance. He's lucky he has lasted this long before the serial injuries have set in.

Lockwood's problem is he has a lions heart in a 170lbs body. He tries to hand out punishment to opponents like he is 230lbs.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think I agreed with you until you mentioned Tanev.

He'd better change his style. He just refuses to get out of the way of checks. That is not a help to his game, it is a hinderance. He's lucky he has lasted this long before the serial injuries have set in.

Lockwood's problem is he has a lions heart in a 170lbs body. He tries to hand out punishment to opponents like he is 230lbs.

Tanev sacrifices himself to finish plays. It's who he is. It's not going to change.

There are small players who were known for their toughness.

Lest we forget Ty Domi, Brandon Prust, and our own beloved Rick Rypien.

He just has to bulk up a bit and he'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

UFA Ryan Reaves

Roussel's better at hockey.

47 minutes ago, KKnight said:

He's actually pretty decent on the PK and hes a pain in the ass. We need players like that. Need more attitude to our team. 

Yup ;) And pain in the ass doesn't even begin to describe him. I'd HATE to play against that guy.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Antoine Roussel? 

Don't know a lot about this guy.  Can he fight like Dorsett could?  Will he take on the bigger guys, and survive, like Dorsett did?

Maybe it's better for us to go with guys we already have, like Archie or MacEwan?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don't know a lot about this guy.  Can he fight like Dorsett could?  Will he take on the bigger guys, and survive, like Dorsett did?

Maybe it's better for us to go with guys we already have, like Archie or MacEwan?

He played for Chicago Wolves when they were our affiliate. He can fight but he is no DD. 

Why not youtube him?

Edited by alfstonker

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don't know a lot about this guy.  Can he fight like Dorsett could?  Will he take on the bigger guys, and survive, like Dorsett did?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: see inside spoiler (since this is the MacEwen thread and I ended up writing a bit of a long post on Roussel)

Here’s a link to Roussel’s 

NHL career fight card. Very similar chart to Dorsett in both his fight winning percentage and his willingness to take on the bigger guys (and ability to survive).

Actually, he’s pretty similar to Dorsett in a bunch of ways. Same size. Same speed. Same motor. Can handle the same roles and usage. Pretty similar heart, compete, and fearlessness. And the same kind of willingness to come to a teammate’s aid and respond when the team needs it. 

Dorsett is a better fighter IMO (and IIRC he handled Roussel pretty easily when they fought), but as far as being willing to step in and go toe-to-toe with pretty much all comers (including the much bigger guys), Roussel is actually quite a bit like Dorsett.

Also similar to Dorsett, he’s said to be quite well liked by his teammates and very good in the room. And I’ve heard he’s great with fans and quite active in the community.

Hated on the ice (by opponents) but apparently a pretty good guy off the ice.

Roussel is around the same age now that Dorsett was when the Canucks acquired him. And Roussel has already shown himself to be a considerably more productive offensive player (in terms of total goals and assists and also his scoring rate). He also has produced better overall fancy stats. Roussel is an excellent PKer and more than capable of holding down a regular spot on a good 3rd line. And perhaps he’s even a better pest/agitator than Dorsett was (Roussel definitely has some Burrows to him, in terms of some of his edge and antics, but combined with a more Dorsett-like willingness to drop the gloves). Roussel can also play both wing and centre (and he’s actually pretty decent on draws—he won an impressive 57.9% of his faceoffs last season, albeit in limited action).

Here’s a hero chart for a side by side stats comparison:

03964026-4DFB-4220-9414-39C9C58583DD.thumb.png.4e0aaf6f85df52de0e78223d445ffcf8.png

All in all, as a Dorsett replacement, Roussel could be a pretty good option (assuming he hits free agency).

One might even argue that he’d be an upgrade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2