Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don't know a lot about this guy.  Can he fight like Dorsett could?  Will he take on the bigger guys, and survive, like Dorsett did?

Maybe it's better for us to go with guys we already have, like Archie or MacEwan?

He played for Chicago Wolves when they were our affiliate. He can fight but he is no DD. 

Why not youtube him?

Edited by alfstonker

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don't know a lot about this guy.  Can he fight like Dorsett could?  Will he take on the bigger guys, and survive, like Dorsett did?

Maybe it's better for us to go with guys we already have, like Archie or MacEwan?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: see inside spoiler (since this is the MacEwen thread and I ended up writing a bit of a long post on Roussel)

Here’s a link to Roussel’s 

NHL career fight card. Very similar chart to Dorsett in both his fight winning percentage and his willingness to take on the bigger guys (and ability to survive).

Actually, he’s pretty similar to Dorsett in a bunch of ways. Same size. Same speed. Same motor. Can handle the same roles and usage. Pretty similar heart, compete, and fearlessness. And the same kind of willingness to come to a teammate’s aid and respond when the team needs it. 

Dorsett is a better fighter IMO (and IIRC he handled Roussel pretty easily when they fought), but as far as being willing to step in and go toe-to-toe with pretty much all comers (including the much bigger guys), Roussel is actually quite a bit like Dorsett.

Also similar to Dorsett, he’s said to be quite well liked by his teammates and very good in the room. And I’ve heard he’s great with fans and quite active in the community.

Hated on the ice (by opponents) but apparently a pretty good guy off the ice.

Roussel is around the same age now that Dorsett was when the Canucks acquired him. And Roussel has already shown himself to be a considerably more productive offensive player (in terms of total goals and assists and also his scoring rate). He also has produced better overall fancy stats. Roussel is an excellent PKer and more than capable of holding down a regular spot on a good 3rd line. And perhaps he’s even a better pest/agitator than Dorsett was (Roussel definitely has some Burrows to him, in terms of some of his edge and antics, but combined with a more Dorsett-like willingness to drop the gloves). Roussel can also play both wing and centre (and he’s actually pretty decent on draws—he won an impressive 57.9% of his faceoffs last season, albeit in limited action).

Here’s a hero chart for a side by side stats comparison:

03964026-4DFB-4220-9414-39C9C58583DD.thumb.png.4e0aaf6f85df52de0e78223d445ffcf8.png

All in all, as a Dorsett replacement, Roussel could be a pretty good option (assuming he hits free agency).

One might even argue that he’d be an upgrade.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Can't wait!

Posted (edited)

MacEwan has some size and can look after himself but he is in no way a scrapper who looks for fights. Its not fair or appropriate to put that job on him. Yan Pavel Laplante on the other hand is a guy who likes fighting and could replace dorsette as our enforcer but his hockey skills are not at an NHL level yet. 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 2

MacEwan will surprise allot of people this year he is a late bloomer played with the right forwards he will be a 2nd line center coming up.

I only watched him a bit at the Young Stars. He has something to him. He's one of those guys you hate to play against. When your facing off you look up at who's coming off the opposition bench. You see him and think "crap, him again"

• Upvote 3

Could be our future 4th line center.

1. Horvat/Pettersson

2. Horvat/Pettersson

3. Gaudette

4. MacEwen

I see the 4th line having a much larger role in the future of hockey. Plus, if Pettersson ends up sticking to wing (Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser ::D), MacEwen could move up.

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Gaudette - Lind

Gadjovich -              - Virtanen 

Leipsic  -  MacEwen  - Palmu 

13 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

MacEwan will surprise allot of people this year he is a late bloomer played with the right forwards he will be a 2nd line center coming up.

#2C for Utica I assume your talking right?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Started watching MacEwan late in his in his Gatineau period, before the 'nucks signed him. Of course my interest went way up once he was signed. He was great at the CHL level, but I don't remember him being a 'distributor' of the puck. I see him as a wing, or a Sutter type centre at best. Way, way too early to start pencilling him in as a centre, but maybe a cup of coffee on the wing next season.

Edited by SingleThorn

28 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Started watching MacEwan late in his in his Gatineau period, before the 'nucks signed him. Of course my interest went way up once he was signed. He was great at the CHL level, but I don't remember him being a 'distributor' of the puck. I see him as a wing, or a Sutter type centre at best. Way, way too early to start pencilling him in as a centre, but maybe a cup of coffee on the wing next season.

MacEwan  with the wright wingers would flourish. Speed and size at center are a must, given the opportunity he might surprise people 

16 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

This is the same type of thing that was said about Grenier. I agree he has room to improve his game and will, but the question is will he become a good player in Utica only or will he be able to translate success into the NHL.

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

This is the same type of thing that was said about Grenier. I agree he has room to improve his game and will, but the question is will he become a good player in Utica only or will he be able to translate success into the NHL.

He brings more skill and is willing to go to the hard areas .we need centers that are willing. speed skill grit, put skill with him and let him flourish. 

12 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

He brings more skill and is willing to go to the hard areas .we need centers that are willing. speed skill grit, put skill with him and let him flourish. 

And like I said, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the next level.

Grenier was a top player for the Comets for a number of seasons. He got tried with the Sedins in a preseason game. He had size and skill enough to do the dirty work and finish with a goal, something he did often enough in the AHL

Will MacEwen be the same, or will he be better? That's the question we're waiting to find out.

16 hours ago, elvis15 said:

And like I said, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the next level.

Grenier was a top player for the Comets for a number of seasons. He got tried with the Sedins in a preseason game. He had size and skill enough to do the dirty work and finish with a goal, something he did often enough in the AHL

Will MacEwen be the same, or will he be better? That's the question we're waiting to find out.

MacEwen is faster, stronger and more of a battler than Grennier....more dynamic in all aspects of his game really...so I expect he will be a star 4th liner but also capable of moving up the lineup whereas Greenier had to be top 6 to make it... 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

MacEwen is faster, stronger and more of a battler than Grennier....more dynamic in all aspects of his game really...so I expect he will be a star 4th liner but also capable of moving up the lineup whereas Greenier had to be top 6 to make it... 

I like Mac but the way you are describing him, he is going nto be our new star centre next year.:)

Posted (edited)

About a week ago at a Golf Charity..  Zack should have pulled Maclean’s shirt over his head and let him have it ;) 

5FE01291-6339-407A-B600-17BCA4537522.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

At last year's development camp, he seemed more like a puck hog. 

He's definitely a power forward, go to the net, do-it-yourself kind of guy, though he has quite soft hands. Not a playmaker at all, as of last year's dev camp. You also have to remember that he was "the guy" on his junior team behind Vitaly Abramov, so was probably used to being leaned on to make things happen.

@UticaHockey, still much the same regarding his less-than-excellent passing/vision.distribution?

5b5c97bc37df5_ScreenShot2018-07-28at9_19_42AM.png.fd7331f762bdd32682e306b499e14ebc.png