The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

On 7/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, Father Ryan said:

Nice thing I see about those stats. When it came time to play pressure hockey (the playoffs) Zach apparently concentrated on hockey and scoring. Only 2 PIM as opposed to the Russian players getting a lot. Also, almost a goal per game. Nice

I think Zach is going to get a call up this year at some point, should he continue his positive learning curve. He then should be in contention for a slot on the 19-20 season

a call up to sit and watch in the press box or a call up to actually play on a line and on the ice?

Call up and sitting in the press box has its merits, I guess. They learn the off ice and practice routine...but a player wants to play when called up...not just sit in the press box and watch. If any player who loves to compete tells you different, then he/ she is lying. God bless...Father.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a call up to sit and watch in the press box or a call up to actually play on a line and on the ice?

Call up and sitting in the press box has its merits, I guess. They learn the off ice and practice routine...but a player wants to play when called up...not just sit in the press box and watch. If any player who loves to compete tells you different, then he/ she is lying. God bless...Father.

They did it with Demko a couple of times to reward his play with NHL salary for a couple of days. That makes it worth it even if he doesn't suit up for anything on the ice. 

On 7/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, Guile said:

He's definitely a power forward, go to the net, do-it-yourself kind of guy, though he has quite soft hands. Not a playmaker at all, as of last year's dev camp. You also have to remember that he was "the guy" on his junior team behind Vitaly Abramov, so was probably used to being leaned on to make things happen.

@UticaHockey, still much the same regarding his less-than-excellent passing/vision.distribution?

5b5c97bc37df5_ScreenShot2018-07-28at9_19_42AM.png.fd7331f762bdd32682e306b499e14ebc.png

Don't know why you say he's "Not a playmaker at all."  He had 10 goals and 23 assists last season, his first in the AHL.  That's more than twice as many assists as goals.  Even in junior he had more assists than goals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

For Zach, either one would be good. But, I'm thinking that a call-up for him would be to replace someone injured on the 4th line and therefore he would get some playing time. And even if it is pressbox, well, an NHL check would really be nice for a single 21 year old.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Don't know why you say he's "Not a playmaker at all."  He had 10 goals and 23 assists last season, his first in the AHL.  That's more than twice as many assists as goals.  Even in junior he had more assists than goals.

Fair enough, but the majority of players have that weighting since it's easier to get an assist (5 out of top 50 scorers last year had more goals than assists, one was evenly split). I was more thinking of a couple posts I saw in the Utica thread this year, where a couple of the local Comets fans said similar things about him. If I recall correctly, particularly at the beginning of the season, they said he was playing with his head down and attempting to skate the puck himself. I may be misremembering from last year's camp, Junior playoffs, etc, but I think it was the Utica guys. That said, the reports from them near the end of the season were that he really progressed offensively, was starting to learn defensively, and overall had a promising first pro year. I'm quite excited to see him in camp and find out if he'll continue improving with comfort and experience!

• Like 1

On 2018-08-02 at 6:52 AM, Guile said:

Fair enough, but the majority of players have that weighting since it's easier to get an assist (5 out of top 50 scorers last year had more goals than assists, one was evenly split). I was more thinking of a couple posts I saw in the Utica thread this year, where a couple of the local Comets fans said similar things about him. If I recall correctly, particularly at the beginning of the season, they said he was playing with his head down and attempting to skate the puck himself. I may be misremembering from last year's camp, Junior playoffs, etc, but I think it was the Utica guys. That said, the reports from them near the end of the season were that he really progressed offensively, was starting to learn defensively, and overall had a promising first pro year. I'm quite excited to see him in camp and find out if he'll continue improving with comfort and experience!

I watched most of Utica’s games last year, and he’s no Gretzky or Oates, if that is the standard of playmaker, but there is more than one way to make plays that end up with the puck in the net.  One way is taking pucks to the net and eliminating defencemen - the garbage that gets left in such a player’s wake is also a play by intention.  And he also passes the puck.  The real struggle for McEwan last year was getting the first few goals.

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I watched most of Utica’s games last year, and he’s no Gretzky or Oates, if that is the standard of playmaker, but there is more than one way to make plays that end up with the puck in the net.  One way is taking pucks to the net and eliminating defencemen - the garbage that gets left in such a player’s wake is also a play by intention.  And he also passes the puck.  The real struggle for McEwan last year was getting the first few goals.

Thanks for filling me in, that's cause for further optimism! I was actually going to mention that being one way he could earn assists even if his vision and passing isn't much above average (not a bad thing if so). Hopefully he starts out quickly, gets a goal or two in the first 5-8 games and progresses form there.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I hope Gadjovich and Palmu make the Utica team this year and plays on a line with MacEwen. Size, speed, shot, 

Gadjovich MacEwen Palmu 

Pretty sure both Gadjovich and Palmu will play in Utica but would prefer them to be centered by Cam Darcy and Have Mac Ewen center a line with Lind and MacMaster. Mac Ewen would be the grit and toughness that Lind and Mac Master might struggle to bring against older and probably tougher players than themselves. Kero could center a line with Jasek  and Dahlen / Boucher. Three very capable scoring lines but I guess we will just have to wait and see Lol.

On 2018-08-04 at 8:16 PM, Guile said:

Thanks for filling me in, that's cause for further optimism! I was actually going to mention that being one way he could earn assists even if his vision and passing isn't much above average (not a bad thing if so). Hopefully he starts out quickly, gets a goal or two in the first 5-8 games and progresses form there.

To add He had a better season than Virtannen at that level, 

MacEwen had a half point a game once he came back from injury at the start of season.

His Junior hilites are a good watch on YouTube..  I think the hope is that prospects can bring that last year of prowess from Junior,  to the pro Level in close to 3 years.

Zack showed promise, and sounds goal oriented in his growth.. time is on his side, Big bodies that can skate and shoot on net like that are rare.

its not just about scoring, more about hitting the net and creating the chaos to finish.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-24 at 8:18 AM, Hutton Wink said:

10th best prospect in one of the NHL's best pool of prospects.  Not bad for a guy his smArmy colleague called a "thrown-away contract" only a year ago.

I read your underlying “sig” HW , with regards to Bennings comments , which I have attached below.

Here’s a hypothetical situation, and not an impossible one,.   Let’s say a good prospect has the opportunity to stick for a few games, or perhaps an injury lends opportunity for a player to have an extended stay with the team.  Let’s say, that player out performs L Eriksson, which in itself, may not be hard to do.  ....I’m starting to see a scenario where LE, could be a bubble player of sorts this year.  ... interesting times?     

Question:  Would you be willing as an organization to waive veteran players and bury salary in Utica if multiple young players prove ready and worthy of an NHL spot, and you can't find trading partners for the veterans?"

"YES.  The answer to that question is yes."
"That's a non-starter; I'm not trading no picks in next year's draft."
"I'm not moving any of our good young players -- Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi, Lind... those players are untouchable as far as I'm concerned."

- Jim Benning, August 22, 2018

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I read your underlying “sig” HW , with regards to Bennings comments , which I have attached below.

Here’s a hypothetical situation, and not an impossible one,.   Let’s say a good prospect has the opportunity to stick for a few games, or perhaps an injury lends opportunity for a player to have an extended stay with the team.  Let’s say, that player out performs L Eriksson, which in itself, may not be hard to do.  ....I’m starting to see a scenario where LE, could be a bubble player of sorts this year.  ... interesting times?     

Question:  Would you be willing as an organization to waive veteran players and bury salary in Utica if multiple young players prove ready and worthy of an NHL spot, and you can't find trading partners for the veterans?"

"YES.  The answer to that question is yes."
"That's a non-starter; I'm not trading no picks in next year's draft."
"I'm not moving any of our good young players -- Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi, Lind... those players are untouchable as far as I'm concerned."

- Jim Benning, August 22, 2018

Could well be.  Difference though with Eriksson versus someone like Gagner is that he brings more to the table, i.e. a well-rounded game.  Now if a number of the kids show better than both of them is where it gets more interesting.  Would then anticipate something like the Stecher scenario, where room is attempted to be made while the non-waivers/young player waits in Utica.  In his case, ongoing injuries rather solved it but in the event of a healthy roster would they bury $5mil of Eriksson in Utica?  Don't really see it, I think they'd try to move him first, but Gagner I could see if they don't find a taker. Both are still ultimately tradeable though, imo, and considering we got them "for free" in the first place does the return matter all that much if it frees roster space for young players and makes the team better?

Really like this player.  Physicality with offensive ability is a weakness in the Canuck lineup.  He can also play C or W, which makes him even more valuable.  He is certainly going in the right direction on the development curve as well,

Zack has his sights on the NHL for this season and this is what he is doing this summer...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks-prospect-zack-macewen-looking-forward-to-next-steps-236139/

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Really like this player.  Physicality with offensive ability is a weakness in the Canuck lineup.  He can also play C or W, which makes him even more valuable.  He is certainly going in the right direction on the development curve as well,

Zack has his sights on the NHL for this season and this is what he is doing this summer...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks-prospect-zack-macewen-looking-forward-to-next-steps-236139/

I also like this player and what he could bring to the table as a power forward. That being said; I hope he spends one more year in Utica and gets the opportunity to be used in all types of situations including as a center. Lots of playing time in Utica this year should help develop him as a more complete and valuable player IMO.

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I also like this player and what he could bring to the table as a power forward. That being said; I hope he spends one more year in Utica and gets the opportunity to be used in all types of situations including as a center. Lots of playing time in Utica this year should help develop him as a more complete and valuable player IMO.

Absolutely.  He also needs to continue improving his speed.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely.  He also needs to continue improving his speed.

I agree that he needs to continue improving his one step acceleration but as I have not seen very many clips of his skating; I am also wondering how his lateral movement rates. I wonder if others on this thread have seen a lot of him and would care to comment on that.

On 2018-08-26 at 11:50 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Could well be.  Difference though with Eriksson versus someone like Gagner is that he brings more to the table, i.e. a well-rounded game.  Now if a number of the kids show better than both of them is where it gets more interesting.  Would then anticipate something like the Stecher scenario, where room is attempted to be made while the non-waivers/young player waits in Utica.  In his case, ongoing injuries rather solved it but in the event of a healthy roster would they bury $5mil of Eriksson in Utica?  Don't really see it, I think they'd try to move him first, but Gagner I could see if they don't find a taker. Both are still ultimately tradeable though, imo, and considering we got them "for free" in the first place does the return matter all that much if it frees roster space for young players and makes the team better?

Exacatackly..  we even grabbed 2 more “well rounded” players in Beagle and Schaler.

Personally I like Gagner’s game more than LE’s,.  Gagner works on any line well..  Louie always seems a step off side, or going to the bench at the wrong time.

Would love to see MacEwen have a camp to remember, and twist the lids on a couple of Vets.