The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Would love to see MacEwen have a camp to remember, and twist the lids on a couple of Vets.

I would like to see this too but think it is more likely to happen next year vs this year. If "Big Mac" does go back down to Utica; I hope they give him a shot at playing Center at some point in the season.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Looks good for a free prospect.  He may only ever be an AHL guy who increases the compete level when he is around, but that provides some very good value.  He is going to push guys like Lind, Gadj, Palmu to be better players.

He reminds me a bit of Alex Grenier but hopefully with a bit more upside. Even if he only plays at the AHL level, he could be a valuable asset to mentor the younger players coming into the mix over the years.

22 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He reminds me a bit of Alex Grenier but hopefully with a bit more upside. Even if he only plays at the AHL level, he could be a valuable asset to mentor the younger players coming into the mix over the years.

He not even close to Grenier ,plays meaner and has a better net presence, common! He will be a point a game in the A this year. Unless he makes the big club.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

He not even close to Grenier ,plays meaner and has a better net presence, common! He will be a point a game in the A this year. Unless he makes the big club.

I hope you are right about that because I am a fan of his. I have, however, learned to temper my expectations as numerous prospects over the years just did not progress to the point that they became NHL regulars. This season in the AHL, with the Comets, should give us a much better evaluation on how his game is progressing. It certainly should help in that he will have lots of talented players around him to feed of of and up his game. Nothing I would like better than to see him end the season at near a point per game and playing in all situations.

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Should that really be the expectation for him? 

Lol. I didn't say I expected him to hit a point per game; just that it would be nice to see. I would however expect to see him used on both the PP as  net front presence and on the PK as well. How well he fares in the points dept. will depend in large part as to who his line mates are.

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Put him with Dahlen and Pettersson and yes a point a game would not be out of the question.

Pettersson is almost assuredly not going to be in Utica and if he were, would not likely be playing with Mac. 

I like him as a prospect and all but let's try to keep our feet on the ground here. If/when he makes it to the NHL it's likely as a bottom 6, maybe 9 player. By all means those guys certainly need to have some skill level these days, which he does, but he's not likely to be a top 6 player long term.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If/when he makes it to the NHL it's likely as a bottom 6, maybe 9 player.

If he makes it, that would be the most logical outcome but why limit his potential by automatically assuming that is all he can be? I would rather they give him a decent look in all situations over the course of the season and see in what areas he is improving on and where he has plateaued. The AHL is, after all, a developmental league so why put a limit on a player before you have fully evaluated his progress and potential. For some players that may take a few years and for some they just never really show much progress and eventually are cut loose.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Lol. I didn't say I expected him to hit a point per game; just that it would be nice to see. I would however expect to see him used on both the PP as  net front presence and on the PK as well. How well he fares in the points dept. will depend in large part as to who his line mates are.

Only problem with that is I see him battling with Gads for those minutes and Gads is progressing way faster.  

1 minute ago, TGT68 said:

Only problem with that is I see him battling with Gads for those minutes and Gads is progressing way faster.  

I agree that they will be competing for the same spots but Big Mac already has a year's development in hand and it may take Jonah some time to adjust to the pace of the game in the AHL.

16 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he makes it, that would be the most logical outcome but why limit his potential by automatically assuming that is all he can be? I would rather they give him a decent look in all situations over the course of the season and see in what areas he is improving on and where he has plateaued. The AHL is, after all, a developmental league so why put a limit on a player before you have fully evaluated his progress and potential. For some players that may take a few years and for some they just never really show much progress and eventually are cut loose.

I'm not putting a limit on anything. Thus far, he looks like a decent bottom 6 prospect, therefore that's where he'll play and be developed for. It's up to him to show if his ceiling's higher than that. If he shows more than potential bottom 6 player, he'll earn more (middle/top 6) opportunity.

I'm really going to enjoy a rematch in the playoffs between Utica and Toronto with the depth of talent that will likely be on the team this year and also having the bash brothers of Jonah and Big Mac taking turns raising havoc in front of the Toronto net minder. We may even have Archie down there as well to aide and abet Lol.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

He definitely stood out imo in the young stars, and with the likes of Pettersson, Dahlen, OJ, DiPietro being the names people were more interested in watching, MacEwan definitely stepped up. He's like a tougher version of a Taylor Pyatt or Steve Bernier it looks like, which could turn out to be a steal of a signing for a bottom 6 player one day with possible 2nd line if he continues to improve on all aspects of his game, definitely interested in what he does this year.