The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Leivo was at the 0.5 ppg rate. I expect him back if he isn't traded. He was having a breakout season. 

He was having a breakout season, but unless we are really successful at fully removing Eriksson's hit from the books, I'm not sure that we can afford him. Although I do believe that Eriksson will be gone next year, either to retirement or buyout, I would expect that we will need to deal with some type of recapture from his contract. I know how our numbers look if we buy him out, but I am not sure what our cap hit is, if he retires. His contract was front loaded, I'm not actually sure whether we are better to buy him out or have him retire. Any idea where we could find a comparison?

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

He was having a breakout season, but unless we are really successful at fully removing Eriksson's hit from the books, I'm not sure that we can afford him. Although I do believe that Eriksson will be gone next year, either to retirement or buyout, I would expect that we will need to deal with some type of recapture from his contract. I know how our numbers look if we buy him out, but I am not sure what our cap hit is, if he retires. His contract was front loaded, I'm not actually sure whether we are better to buy him out or have him retire. Any idea where we could find a comparison?

There's no recapture if he retires. Only thing we might be on the hook for is that I believe his bonus would still count against next year's cap (assuming he retires after it's paid). Somebody can feel free to correct me on that.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Eriksson will be gone next year, either to retirement or buyout, I would expect that we will need to deal with some type of recapture from his contract. I know how our numbers look if we buy him out, but I am not sure what our cap hit is, if he retires. His contract was front loaded, I'm not actually sure whether we are better to buy him out or have him retire. Any idea where we could find a comparison?

Will his buyout price be higher after he scores the Stanley Cup winning goal?

• Haha 1

Thought Bic mac showed pretty decent last night.  Obviously he looked good on the goal, but he was caught out of position a number of times, but I suspect that was just having to adjust to the the tempo of the NHL.  He's got to be careful about going for hits and getting caught, I saw a few cases of that last night.  Still, great to see him score and even better to see that he'll likely be able to carve out an NHL career if things fall into place.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Thought Bic mac showed pretty decent last night.  Obviously he looked good on the goal, but he was caught out of position a number of times, but I suspect that was just having to adjust to the the tempo of the NHL.  He's got to be careful about going for hits and getting caught, I saw a few cases of that last night.  Still, great to see him score and even better to see that he'll likely be able to carve out an NHL career if things fall into place.

At this point, the positives of him staying with the team outweigh the negatives. He and Bailey really provided some jump and feistiness yesterday. It was a welcome change.

The need for a player like Simmonds isn't so strong now, although I'm sure Wayne would welcome the trade the way things are going in New Jersey.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

At this point, the positives of him staying with the team outweigh the negatives. He and Bailey really provided some jump and feistiness yesterday. It was a welcome change.

The need for a player like Simmonds isn't so strong now, although I'm sure Wayne would welcome the trade the way things are going in New Jersey.

you can't use the first game (or first few games) as an indicator though.  Emotions and adrenaline are running high and that elevates everything.  My guess is once he settled in, his play wouldn't be that noticeable.  Ultimately, there's no spot for either of them when the team gets healthy anyway and Utica needs them both.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Will his buyout price be higher after he scores the Stanley Cup winning goal?

:lol:

REALLY hoping we might be able to trade him to the likes of OTT or something after his bonus is paid. That would only leave him with $5m left over 2 years or $2.5m per year of actual salary. If we retain, that goes down to $1.25m.

That 'should' be movable...right?:unsure:

$3m cap hit over the next two years (if he doesn't just retire before then) is a LOT better option than buying him out which would be $5.66m, $3.66m, $667K and $667K

Or he can just &^@# off and retire already :lol:

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, stawns said:

you can't use the first game (or first few games) as an indicator though.  Emotions and adrenaline are running high and that elevates everything.  My guess is once he settled in, his play wouldn't be that noticeable.  Ultimately, there's no spot for either of them when the team gets healthy anyway and Utica needs them both.

Some were saying the same about Gaudette at certain points. If MacEwen (and I realize it's a big if) continues with the level of play that he's shown already this season, it would be hard to not make room for him over players like Schaller or Eriksson. The Comets could use Schaller and Eriksson too.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Some were saying the same about Gaudette at certain points. If MacEwen (and I realize it's a big if) continues with the level of play that he's shown already this season, it would be hard to not make room for him over players like Schaller or Eriksson. The Comets could use Schaller and Eriksson too.

Bring out the energy, I say. If we flounder, at least it's done in entertaining fashion while observing heat-seeking missiles on the ice. Eriksson has about as much pep as a lizard on a warm rock. A six-million dollar lavish rock.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's no recapture if he retires. Only thing we might be on the hook for is that I believe his bonus would still count against next year's cap (assuming he retires after it's paid). Somebody can feel free to correct me on that.

Are you sure this is correct? From my understanding, the league always wants to have a recapture if the front of the contract is loaded up. Although the Luongo situation is extreme, I think there's something, but could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, DawnDucky said:

Bring out the energy, I say. If we flounder, at least it's done in entertaining fashion while observing heat-seeking missiles on the ice.

Eriksson has about as much pep as a lizard on a warm rock. A six-million dollar lavish rock.

The pace and flow of yesterday's game (second period withstanding) was excellent. It was exciting and, to me, it felt like the team was really tuned in with each other. Eriksson's effectiveness has waned, once again, to the reptilian level you mentioned. The team needs more youthful energy, size, and speed. I do think that MacEwen will bring that far more consistently than Eriksson will, and for far less salary wise.

Did Eriksson's time on Bo's line do enough to make him a viable trade target? Probably not. Then again Jim Rutherford is in a trading kind of mood lately, so fingers crossed.

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Are you sure this is correct? From my understanding, the league always wants to have a recapture if the front of the contract is loaded up. Although the Luongo situation is extreme, I think there's something, but could be wrong.

Only applies to the deals that were signed  that 'circumvented the spirit of the CBA' that teams were warned about (IE Luongo, Suter, Weber, Parise etc deals) retroactively. Eriksson's deal was done under the revised, stricter CBA rules with the league's approval. There's no recapture.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:lol:

REALLY hoping we might be able to trade him to the likes of OTT or something after his bonus is paid. That would only leave him with $5m left over 2 years or $2.5m per year of actual salary. If we retain, that goes down to $1.25m.

That 'should' be movable...right?:unsure:

$3m cap hit over the next two years (if he doesn't just retire before then) is a LOT better option than buying him out which would be $5.66m, $3.66m, $667K and $667K

Or he can just &^@# off and retire already :lol:

If I remember correctly, part of the reason that he didn't "want" to waive his NTC, was because his kids are all enrolled in school here, and he doesn't want to move them. This was why he wanted a 6 year contract, he wanted stability for his family. This is also part of what is pushing the whole retirement idea, where after his bonus, he's only walking away from 7 million. If Vancouver was to put him into some type of role with the team after retirement, it would allow him to settle here indefinitely.

If Canucks refuse to buy him out, sending him to Utica next season, becomes a real possibility, which means he loses control of his immediate access to family without uprooting them.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only applies to the deals that were signed  that 'circumvented the spirit of the CBA' that teams were warned about (IE Luongo, Suter, Weber, Parise etc deals) retroactively. Eriksson's deal was done under the revised, stricter CBA rules with the league's approval. There's no recapture.

Extremely happy if that's the case!

Could also explain why Benning really isn't worried about our cap space. Would mean that we drop 6 million off the books during summer, giving us ample room to resign Markstrom, Leivo, Virtanen, Tanev and still bring in Tryamkin etc. 

Edited by VegasCanuck
Additional

Said it all along Eriksson has hampered ZMacs development in the bigs this year.

only 10 games with us so far,  MacEwan should be closer to the 20 game mark.

Having said that ..  3 points in 10 games ( .33 ppg) isn’t too bad for the ice time he has been granted.

Zack could be a solid .5 ppg Or better player for us..  that give and go from JT was typical of the skater he was in Junior.

A solid summer for Zack , and Zack sticks with us next season.

He will return the favour to Foligno in the future..  that was a huge moment for Zack.

i look forward to ZM becoming a huge crease presence on  a pp.. this kid IS the new age all tools player this team needs next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is also part of what is pushing the whole retirement idea, where after his bonus, he's only walking away from 7 million.

$5m actually, over two years and only $1m of additional actual salary to potentially ride buses in Utica as you mentioned. *fingers crossed*

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Extremely happy if that's the case!

Eriksson's contract follows the new CBA  requirements of:

A new, lower salary cap limit was negotiated for the collective bargaining agreement starting with the 2012–13 season.[3] To transition to the new cap, each team had two amnesty buyout opportunities: after the 2012–13 season and after the 2013–14 season, to release a player (or specify a player already released) that is bought out in full, counting against the players' overall share in revenues, but not counting towards the team's salary cap. The contract also limits salary variance on contracts from year to year to no more than 35% and no year can be less than 50% of the highest year.[11] This was done due to the increasing frequency of teams signing star NHL players signing front-loaded contracts with the intention of lowering the salary's annual average, and thus, lowering the cap hit. One notable incident of this involved Ilya Kovalchuk, who signed a 17-year deal with the New Jersey Devils in July 2010, prompting the NHL to nullify the contract. Other similar incidents have involved Chris Pronger, Roberto Luongo and Marian Hossa.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The pace and flow of yesterday's game (second period withstanding) was excellent. It was exciting and, to me, it felt like the team was really tuned in with each other. Eriksson's effectiveness has waned, once again, to the reptilian level you mentioned. The team needs more youthful energy, size, and speed. I do think that MacEwen will bring that far more consistently than Eriksson will, and for far less salary wise.

Did Eriksson's time on Bo's line do enough to make him a viable trade target? Probably not. Then again Jim Rutherford is in a trading kind of mood lately, so fingers crossed.

Sacrifices to the hockey gods are being made--lethargic Loui needs to go. That give and go with Miller was a display of beauty. I'm liking this kid, Phil.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, DawnDucky said:

Sacrifices to the hockey gods are being made--lethargic Loui needs to go.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, DawnDucky said:

That give and go with Miller was a display of beauty. I'm liking this kid, Phil.

Exactly. Certainly he's a bigger player, which this team desperately needs, but his skill on that goal was unreal. Zack can't go back!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1