The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

14 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He seems a lot more confident in his game.

In his first call up, he didn't seem as physical and seemed to play his game more based on fear of making a mistake, and played pretty conservatively.  Now even though he makes a few mistakes, you're starting to see him play with far more authority and bite to his game.

I can only imagine what his game is like when his leash is longer. 

Fans might get frustrated by not seeing more of Big Mac but I see his development as being a classic approach by management. They have brought him along slow and steady. Less chance of him getting overwhelmed. NHL speed and quality of play has to be intimidating for the first 20 games. I'm hoping he stays with the club at least until the TDL.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

It's looking like it might be best to shut Ferland down for the season... which gives MacEwen a chance to play his role in the top nine.  When Boeser is back, MacEwen could be a good fit with Gaudette and Roussel on the third line.

Yep.  Keep playing Big Mac.  Hopefully he sticks then JB doesn't feel the need to trade for Simmonds.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

He played really well today. Keeps impressing me I would keep him up now that Ferland is iffy and give him a shot the rest of the year barring any trades.

I still rely on the eye test for performance. IMO Big Mac was the best forward and Hughes the best d-man against Anaheim. MacEwan's biggest challenge is his skating and he has improved noticeably. He was generating ozone plays while most of his team mates were not. 

Playoffs or not I would play MacEwan and sit Schaller. If this spring is about playing critical games and amping the development of this roster towards serious CUP contention then I don't see a place for Ericksson or Schaller. I also like the idea of sitting either Steacher or Benn for a few games to see Rafferty and Brisbois.  

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Playoffs or not I would play MacEwan and sit Schaller. If this spring is about playing critical games and amping the development of this roster towards serious CUP contention then I don't see a place for Ericksson or Schaller. I also like the idea of sitting either Steacher or Benn for a few games to see Rafferty and Brisbois.  

While I share your sentiment, there’s no way that Green can do that.  

This team has won together and made it this far with Benn, Stecher and Schaller. I can’t see them being sent down now. 

I think that at some point, NHL rosters get expanded and we can keep MacEwen up even when Brock and Motte get back. 

On 2/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

This team has won together and made it this far with Benn, Stecher and Schaller. I can’t see them being sent down now. 

I think that at some point, NHL rosters get expanded and we can keep MacEwen up even when Brock and Motte get back. 

Well, you do not have to worry about sitting or playing Schaller now.  

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:58 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Being sent down and being sat down, are two different things. In saying that, despite the teams better play this year, a lot of it was done without Benn or Schaller in the lineup anyways. Plus, this winning that you speak of that they've done together, only has them in the middle of a playoff battle. So it's not like you're talking about guys who've built up years of trust and loyalty by going through years of Stanley Cup winning battles with the team.

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

With all the injuries and Bailey being sent down to Utica I think Zack will be here for the rest of the season.

probably. Benning was pretty high on him during his press conf yesterday, saying he expects Zack to be a regular in the lineup next season. Im sure Zack liked the sound of that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

probably. Benning was pretty high on him during his press conf yesterday, saying he expects Zack to be a regular in the lineup next season. Im sure Zack liked the sound of that. 

I liked him on Horvats line.  My hope is Loui sits:

JT - EP - TT - J.E.T. Line

Pearson - Horvat - MacEwen

Roussel - AG - JV

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

We need Eriksson's physicality, net presence, defensive awareness, fortitude, truculence, barbarity, sternness, ferocity, cruelty, rigor, and overall hard-hardiness.  He trumps MacEwen in every foreseeable category, especially hard-hardiness.

Dam him and his hard hardiness.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Borvat said:

I liked him on Horvats line.  My hope is Loui sits:

JT - EP - TT - J.E.T. Line

Pearson - Horvat - MacEwen

Roussel - AG - JV

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

I'd be looking to re-create the magic Pearson and TT had in LA, at least to begin with. But I do like Jake on AGs line too.