The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

I've been rooting for Big Mac since I watched his highlight package with Gatineau the day we signed him.

The fact that he's a late bloomer and to had to work for everything he's got only adds to the fact that he's just a good-sized player with very decent hands and feet.

If he's going to bring it every night and plays physical while continuing to make plays offensively, I don't see how you can keep him out of the lineup. I like Jake Virtanen, but what does he really bring that Zack doesn't?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I've been rooting for Big Mac since I watched his highlight package with Gatineau the day we signed him.

The fact that he's a late bloomer and to had to work for everything he's got only adds to the fact that he's just a good-sized player with very decent hands and feet.

If he's going to bring it every night and plays physical while continuing to make plays offensively, I don't see how you can keep him out of the lineup. I like Jake Virtanen, but what does he really bring that Zack doesn't?

And Podkolzin coming year after next, Lind getting closer to knocking on the door... And people don't see Virtanen as expendable in a trade for a D.... Ok...

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, nergish said:

We all know he's big likes to hit and doesn't turn many down.bUt was I surprised at how quick his hands are. He drives the net and I've seen him go back hand fore hand and a great shot upstairs a few times. I was surprised at the quickness in his hands

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, nergish said:

Me too ...for the first underlined sentence....

Shotgunability ...for the second....

3 hours ago, nzan said:

Also, people tend to forget that he’s built outstanding chemistry with Gaudette. Both of them play better (faster, tougher, smarter and more offensive) when they’re together.

Next year...?

Miller, Pettersson, Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser/Toffoli

Ferland/Roussel, Gaudette, MacEwan

Motte, Beagle, Sutter

Eriksson (spare).

Virtanen packaged for a RD.

(Unfortunately moving one of Ferland/Roussel is the cost to keep Toffoli).

Sutter moved towards the TDL, replaced with Podkolzin.

Lind, Jasek, Hoglander, Bailey etc as call ups.

Edited by aGENT

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Comparisons being made (on 650) to Burr in that he (Zack) keeps improving and adding dimensions to his game.  Similar traits. 

Undrafted, hard worker.

Burr's role starting out was just that of an agitator...get under guy's skin.  Then developed defensively and branched out to be good on PK.  Then offensively with Sedins, etc., etc.

Hard not to love this guy.  Zack too.  ;)

So is it time to start a thread titling "Macewan, do we really need him?" :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Next year...?

Miller, Pettersson, Toffoli/Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser/Toffoli

Ferland/Roussel, Gaudette, MacEwan

Motte, Beagle, Sutter

Eriksson (spare).

Virtanen packaged for a RD.

(Unfortunately moving one of Ferland/Roussel is the cost to keep Toffoli).

Sutter moved towards the TDL, replaced with Podkolzin.

Lind, Jasek, Hoglander, Bailey etc as call ups.

I agree with the lineup for the most part except if they're planning on re-signing Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom I can't see Sutter coming back.

Virtanen for right D would be good, but there's no room to add on the cap because a package around Virtanen should fetch a decent Dman, which also comes with a decent cap hit...

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Stecher

Juolevi/Fantenberg

I think we'll have to sacrifice another year of "mediocre" defense in the interest of having ELC that help out with the cap. I think Virtanen has to be packaged with a cap dump. Maybe Virtanen + pick/B level prospect like a Lind or Rafferty (while his stock is high) to get rid of Sutter + Baertschi (or just Eriksson)? 

You'd still have this forward group:

Miller - Petttersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Motte/MacEwen/Eriksson

Motte/MacEwen/Eriksson

Defense as stated above. Goalies are obvious... Not a bad lineup and I actually see it as an improvement from this year as we'll have a slightly more balanced defense with Hughes growing, and Rathbone settling in as the year progresses AND Demko gets better which would be a huge boost. Not even sure if this lineup fits under the cap, but adding a decent dman with a price tag definitely wouldn't fit under the cap.

It might also be worthwhile to actually get Hoglander into the lineup if they can make use of him so that he can get acclimated to the NHL and potentially take over Pearson's role when his contract expires at the end of next year. We might not be able to afford to re-sign Pearson when we have to re-up Petey + Hughes + Demko without the cap going up.

Edited by Vanuckles

3 hours ago, gurn said:

speed.

15 lbs bigger

More assists

Zack's good in the cycle and has good chemistry with Roussel and Gaudette (small sample size given)
He's up to 20 lbs heavier than Zack but Zack's not afraid to drop the mitts and play tough
He might not have breakaway speed but he can get away and can also finish (RIP Francouz)

If Jake has trade value and the team's sold on Zack, then to the airport it is for Jake

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

speed.

15 lbs bigger

More assists

-2 inches

- worse fighter

- speeds by puck instead of retrieving it, head speed doesn’t match foot speed 

- worse defensively 

- much more expensive 

They aren’t the exact same player, but it isn’t a big downgrade (if at all) to swap out Virtanen for MacEwan.

Virtanen at his best is better, but that is the entire point.  20-30 games of “focussed and dialled in” Virtanen and 20-30 games of “liability” Virtanen nets out to equal a lesser player.

Everybody wants Virtanen to be the player he “could” be... just an increasing proportion of folks are believing it is less likely that he will become that guy.

Add in Podkolzin available to us as early as 20 games into next season, it seems to make more sense to have a cheaper MacEwan who can drop to the 4th line at that point.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I agree with the lineup for the most part except if they're planning on re-signing Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom I can't see Sutter coming back.

Virtanen for right D would be good, but there's no room to add on the cap because a package around Virtanen should fetch a decent Dman, which also comes with a decent cap hit...

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Myers

Rathbone - Stecher

Juolevi/Fantenberg

I think we'll have to sacrifice another year of "mediocre" defense in the interest of having ELC that help out with the cap. I think Virtanen has to be packaged with a cap dump. Maybe Virtanen + pick/B level prospect like a Lind or Rafferty (while his stock is high) to get rid of Sutter + Baertschi (or just Eriksson)? 

You'd still have this forward group:

Miller - Petttersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo

Ferland - Beagle - Motte/MacEwen/Eriksson

Motte/MacEwen/Eriksson

Defense as stated above. Goalies are obvious... Not a bad lineup and I actually see it as an improvement from this year as we'll have a slightly more balanced defense with Hughes growing, and Rathbone settling in as the year progresses AND Demko gets better which would be a huge boost. Not even sure if this lineup fits under the cap, but adding a decent dman with a price tag definitely wouldn't fit under the cap.

It might also be worthwhile to actually get Hoglander into the lineup if they can make use of him so that he can get acclimated to the NHL and potentially take over Pearson's role when his contract expires at the end of next year. We might not be able to afford to re-sign Pearson when we have to re-up Petey + Hughes + Demko without the cap going up.

Virtanen + prospect for a young D on an ELC was what I was thinking, which would solve that problem. But yes, he could be used to ditch a cap dump (Eriksson).

Don't see us moving Sutter until the TDL. He's worth more to us as centre depth/insurance and he'd cost us to move at the beginning of the year vs maybe sacristy returning something (expiring, prorated and likely with retention) at the TDL

Clearing cap will be retaining/buying out Baer, moving Roussel etc.

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

How do you keep Zack out of the series vs the wild? In my books he has already solidified his spot opening night.

He brings everything you need to be successful in the playoffs, size, grit , skill, speed and hockey iq. He can be what Ferland was for the flames a few years ago in the playoffs. 

I can still see trying Virtanen in the exhibition game to see if he can get going.  If he can't, you know you already have MacEwan who is on full speed already to replace him.

Conversely, if you start MacEwan and then get an injury (which we will at some point), it is better to have him as a plug and play option to put into the lineup.  Virtanen may be even worse if he is sitting and waiting for an injury to happen for a couple weeks.

It is a really tough decision and I do think it is still more likely that Virtanen gets a chance in an actual game than MacEwan straight up beats him out right out of training camp.  The leash will be so short that a subpar game probably means Virtanen is in the press box.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can still see trying Virtanen in the exhibition game to see if he can get going.  If he can't, you know you already have MacEwan who is on full speed already to replace him.

Conversely, if you start MacEwan and then get an injury (which we will at some point), it is better to have him as a plug and play option to put into the lineup.  Virtanen may be even worse if he is sitting and waiting for an injury to happen for a couple weeks.

It is a really tough decision and I do think it is still more likely that Virtanen gets a chance in an actual game than MacEwan straight up beats him out right out of training camp.  The leash will be so short that a subpar game probably means Virtanen is in the press box.

Not a tough decision, Jake starts. We are all rooting for MacEwan but he has to have some string of NHL games to push a vet out. Virtanen was well on his way to a 50 point season. He dominated many shifts. MacEwan will likely get his chance at some point.   

Edited by Boudrias

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Virtanen + prospect for a young D on an ELC was what I was thinking, which would solve that problem. But yes, he could be used to ditch a cap dump (Eriksson).

Don't see us moving Sutter until the TDL. He's worth more to us as centre depth/insurance and he'd cost us to move at the beginning of the year vs maybe sacristy returning something (expiring, prorated and likely with retention) at the TDL

If they can find a top 4 RHD on an ELC that their team would be ok with giving up I'd definitely be all over that, but that's a pretty tall order... did you have someone specific in mind?

Buying out just gives the cap hit a slow and painful death. I'd much rather retain for the duration of the contract than buyout, but that's just me. I can definitely see Baertschi as a buyout candidate, and in all honestly it's the most likely outcome. His 2nd year would only be like 800k cap hit if I'm not mistaken so that's a buyout I'd definitely be ok with. Which means that if we can use Virtanen+ to get rid of Eriksson, we'd get some cap relief and we'd probably be able to re-sign all of Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom (+ Gaudette, Stecher, Motte etc)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

If they can find a top 4 RHD on an ELC that their team would be ok with giving up I'd definitely be all over that, but that's a pretty tall order... did you have someone specific in mind?

Buying out just gives the cap hit a slow and painful death. I'd much rather retain for the duration of the contract than buyout, but that's just me. I can definitely see Baertschi as a buyout candidate, and in all honestly it's the most likely outcome. His 2nd year would only be like 800k cap hit if I'm not mistaken so that's a buyout I'd definitely be ok with. Which means that if we can use Virtanen+ to get rid of Eriksson, we'd get some cap relief and we'd probably be able to re-sign all of Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom (+ Gaudette, Stecher, Motte etc)

I'd love someone like Dobson but we'd also have to help the NYI's out of their own cap hell (Ladd or Boychuck) in some way to be able to grab him. And we're not really in position to do so unfortunately.

I'm hoping Benning has a 'JT Miller-like' target or two in mind that is maybe stuck behind some depth and only 'appears' to be a young, middle-bottom 4 D, but really has top 4 upside. Either way, we're unlikely to get a bonafide (even young, with potential) top pair D for Virtanen. Packaged or otherwise. We're likely looking at a '2nd pair upside' guy. Here's where Benning earns his pay cheque! :lol:

But yes, using Virtanen to dump Eriksson would  be alright as well. Could likely perhaps mean retaining Roussel as well in that case.

Yes, retaining on Baer would be preferred. Fingers crossed.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm personally in the camp of dumping him for cap space, wonder if Ottawa needs him on the wing.  Brady/ Duclair/ Connor Brown look to be their only established wings though guys like Formenton/ Batherson are probably knocking hard on the door and can displace him again unless he smartens up.

Also agree that Sutter can be kept and then sold as a pending UFA, along with hopefully Baertschi.  I could also see us having a use for Roussel if/ when Ferland gets injured again.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not a tough decision, Jake starts. We are all rooting for MacEwan but he has to have some string of NHL games to push a vet out. Virtanen was well on his way to a 50 point season. He dominated many shifts. MacEwan will likely get his chance at some point.   

I don't know about that, there has to be a reason as to why they kept Zack around so much and kept saying they liked what they saw.  
Maybe it's the same as the hustle and skill package that he's shown, while Jake's invisibility at times surely doesn't help his case.