The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

Before signing with the Canucks he was rumoured to be close to signing with the leafs. 

Heres a Couple of interesting  takes on HF by leaf fans who have Seen him play

As a Leaf fan living in Gatineau, I go to quite a few Olympique games over the course of the year. I've seen a couple games lately and MacEwen is definately one of Gatineau's top 3 players. 

Qualities:

Tireless motor,decent passer, has a laser of a wrist shot,good hands and decent defensively.

Things he needs to work on: 

Get stronger on the puck because he's too easily knocked off despite his size

Skates himself quite often out of trouble but wouldnt need to if he was in better position to start off

Sometimes tries to dangle through the entire team(aka gets too cute) and altough he has pretty decent hands,it creates turnovers for Gatineau.

All in all, I see him more as a AHL player with a ceiling of being a 4th liner with offensive upside

This is huge for me. He played for our local JrA team in Amherst N.S. when he was 17 and 18. Could never understand why he wasn't drafted in the Q. You could see his offensive talents as a17 yr old. (Future scoring champ) As an 18 he was an absolute beast. One of the best players in the league. Got a few games in Moncton as a free agent and I knew he would never be back. He's got great size. He is a good skater. Elite actually at the JrA level. Great hands. Wicked wrister. Tough as nails just as most Island boys are.

Now I understand there is a huge difference between JrA and AHL and NHL, so there's no need to destroy my post. I know he's probably AHL bound and may never even see much there.

If you are comparing him to Gauthier I would say he has better offensive talent by far. Tougher. And he has a great engine. 

OK guys have at'er. Flame away but this guy is my dark horse to play in the NHL someday. And even the negative comments won't bring me down from this high.yo.gif

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think this kid is all game DeNiro,.  apparently the Nucks brass had him in Vancouver last year,. Kid has openly said he has had a plan with purpose in place for the past 2 seasons, and recognizes the rewards his plan has brought.. and that it motivates him.

He is stoked to have signed with us..

I would say that although his path is going to be different than going through the draft or college,. his level of commitment to be the best that he can be will be none less than what we have seen from Horvat.

I refuse to be skeptical,. It goes against the work and commitment this kid has done to develop his game to be noticed..

But like Tryamkin, I'll be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.. and cheer him on enthusiastically.

Giver' hell Zack !!

I don't doubt his commitment or work ethic. Lots of prospects work their butts off to make the NHL and it never happens though. That's just the odds.

If he can work hard over the summer and earn a regular spot in Utica, then we can start looking at him as a possible NHLer. Until then, we should just temper expectations like we would with any undrafted UFA signing. 

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

After seven pages, am I the only one who noticed his name is incorrectly spelled in the thread title? :P

Oh man, you probably are honestly. I don't know how many times I've read his name printed here and there and never noticed... maybe to me, subconsciously it just seems like it should be spelled MacEwan. Like the Berenstain (Berenstein) bears conspiracy theory. :huh: Fixed.

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

After seven pages, am I the only one who noticed his name is incorrectly spelled in the thread title? :P

Nope. I've noticed it too. For a while now. Just figured I wouldn't be "that guy."

But now that you mention it, I'll go ahead and say what I've been thinking. 

It's not just here. It's kinda everywhere.

The funny thing for me is that the "MacEwan" misspelling is all over a bunch of websites. SBNation articles, Canucks Army, a bunch of Moncton Wildcats game reports, various CHL official team website articles, and countless tweets, forums, and blog posts.

Enough that you kind of wonder whether or not MacEwen is actually correct. 

Maybe it actually is MacEwan?

Nope, definitely MacEwen. 

The name on his jersey seems fairly good evidence for the correct spelling.

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.11f9ccc5c5da781f77ede90f20b10085.JPG

And that definitely looks like it ends in "-EN." 

So MacEwen and not "MacEwan."

Although jerseys have been known to get misspelled. I can remember a certain "Nasland" jersey from way back that Markus actually skated in. 

So maybe...

Naw, it's MacEwen. Has to be.

At least I'm pretty sure. ;) 

for sure this guy has size, speed, physicality, and some decent hands. 

but i still think his potential is bottom six, if he makes the NHL. most likely as a bottom six role player, maybe a middle six player, if he reaches his potential. 

Inside the Numbers for Game #7 – Gatineau vs Cape Breton – QMJHL

Inside the Numbers for Game #7 – Gatineau vs Cape Breton 

Tonight in Cape Breton, it’s the decisive game between the Screaming Eagles and the Gatineau Olympiques. You are invited to read the following…

Decisive games in a series

In the last 10 years, 56.5% of the time, it’s the visiting team that won game 7 in a series (13 of 23).

However, throughout QMJHL’s history, the home team is favoured with 72.3% of the victories (60 of 83).

Cape Breton – in a 7th game, they hold a record of one win against four loses (1-4). In their last four games, they fell short against Val-d’Or (2007), Quebec (2009, 2015) and Saint John (2016). We need to go back 16 years to a Game 7 win by the Eagles (2001, vs Chicoutimi).

Gatineau – impressive in decisive games, with a record of 10 victories and 3 losses (.769 win percentage), having won their last 5 game seven. Laval (1983), Chicoutimi (1994), Acadie-Bathurst (1999, in the finals) are the games they lost… In the winning column: in 1988, against Laval and Drummondville (in the finals). Other victories were in Longueuil (1990), St-Hyacinthe (1994), Val-d’Or (1996), Montreal (2002), Halifax (2003 in the finals), Drummondville (2006), Montreal (2010) and Quebec (2011). 

From 0-3 to 4-3 COMEBACK

Coming back from a 0-3 deficit in a series, before taking it 4-3! This has happened five times in the QMJHL history.

The last time it occurred was in 2015, when Val-d’Or surprised Baie-Comeau.

Note that the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles have completed a comeback in the 2001 playoffs against Chicoutimi; but they could be on the losing side if the Olympiques complete the comeback tonight!

It has been 32 years since a team overcame a 0-3 deficit in the 1st round. In 1985, Drummondville rallied against Trois-Rivières in the quarter-finals, at a time where only 8 of 11 teams made the playoffs.

It’s only in 2012, where a team that had fewer points in the standings than its regular-season opponent, managed to return from a 0-3 deficit to win the series. Halifax (85 points) rallied back to defeat Quebec (93 points). This year the duel that concerns us, Cape Breton (82 points) vs Gatineau (70 points)…

QMJHL PLAYOFFS0-3 Comeback

20151/4FIN – Val-d’Or won the series 4-3 vs Baie-Comeau

20121/4FIN – Halifax won the series 4-3 vs Québec

2001QFC Dilio – Cape Breton won the series 4-3 vs Chicoutimi

19871/2FIN – Longueuil won the series 4-3 vs Laval

19851/4FIN – Drummondville won the series 4-3 vs Trois-Rivières

32 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Looks like you'll get your wish to see Charlottetown in the next round!

I just checked their roster and dam they look tough. I can't see us getting to 6 games with them. Atleast I get to watch Brisbois and Neil! 

Also I thought Sprong was playing for the Pens already?