The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Edler to be traded at the draft?

I don't know if anyone's pointed this out to the op yet, but the expansion draft takes place 3-4 days before the entry draft.

Edit; Expansion draft takes place June 18-21, Entry draft takes place June 23-24th

this should end the ops plan as of first paragraph.

12 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don't know if anyone's pointed this out to the op yet, but the expansion draft takes place 3-4 days before the entry draft.

Edit; Expansion draft takes place June 18-21, Entry draft takes place June 23-24th

this should end the ops plan as of first paragraph.

Draft lottery takes place before ED though doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Do you know what a franchise dman is? Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, Weber, Suter, Hedman, Lidstrom, Pronger, Neidermayer.

34 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

And your point? Are you telling me Tryamking doesn't have that potential?

I think Canucks fans would be jumping for joy if Tryamkin panned out as a legitimate top-4 D-man. If he rounded out as a solid #2, that would be amazing.

But the suggestion that there is a real possibility he could end up among the greatest D-men to ever play in the NHL is simply ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Draft lottery takes place before ED though doesn't it?

Yes I do believe you're right, it happens while the playoffs are still on if memory serves me right. 

However teams don't submit their protected list until June 17th or 18th

8 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Do you know what a franchise dman is? Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, Weber, Suter, Hedman, Lidstrom, Pronger, Neidermayer.

Chara?  Tryamkin could certainly attain elite (franchise) level status.  He has all the tools to become Chara or even better.

On 2017-03-07 at 9:24 PM, Alflives said:

Who is this Boris guy?  Was he a star on the old Red Army teams or something?  

One of the bigger draft busts in recent history. Huge Slovakian kid picked 10th overall by Atlanta in 2004. Chara-like in size/strength and played a tough, physical style. Problem was, he couldn't skate. Pretty poor puck skills as well. Basically, at the speed of the NHL game, he ended up being just another big, slow pylon.

Bounced around the AHL and NHL for a while before ending up playing in various tiers of central Euro pro leagues (and also played a season in England IIRC).

Cautionary tale about why you don't draft on size alone. Especially in the early first round. Also a good example of why you shouldn't ever bet on a guy becoming "the next Chara." People need to understand that "Chara 2.0" is just another mythical creature that, while fun to imagine, simply doesn't exist.

On March 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Canucks have never, and currently do not have, a franchise D man. OJ has potential but its still 1000:1 shot. Tryamkin not a chance....

Not saying that they are not solid players just nowhere near that status. 

Ohlund was definitely a franchise D man. Luc Bourdon was on track to be one. Jovenovski was close 

Another option is Alex Edler going to Florida Panthers. Aaron Ekblad will take a good long rest after the concussion he got tonight. Edler could be a good fill in guy for a while so Ekblad doesn't get rushed back. 

Henrik Bergstrom might be a good piece coming back. 23rd pick in the 2016 draft. 

4 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Ohlund was definitely a franchise D man. Luc Bourdon was on track to be one. Jovenovski was close 

Ohlund is the closest to being one, and RIP Luc but I would argue against the fact that he was even close to being on track.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎03 at 6:45 PM, Alflives said:

Really don't see teams in those upper spots of the draft wanting Edler though.

after seeing the returns on Burrows and Hansen, I'm having to be curious as to what D prospect Edler could bring back. We all mocked and rolled our eyes leading up to the draft but I promise that nobody put a thought to Dahlen or Goldobin and yet now both are already shiny new toys.

Archived