The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | March 4th, 2017 | 7pm | Sportsnet | The Hockey Goes Hollywood Edition

Cramarossa

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

As a twosome Horvat/Baertschi is better than Sutter/Megna defensively while also playing an offensive style more suitable to the way Goldobin plays.

maybe thats true, doesn't mean Sven is better defensively then Sutter just means as a pair Bo and Sven are better then Sutter and Magna. I bet Sutter would be much better with Bo then Sven is, defensively. Its not about individually, its about who there playing with. Out of those 4 player who's name stands out?..........Magna, because he doesn't belong with the other three.

Sven and Bo are getting better at picking up their guys in our zone but they took a while to get there. Sven got benched once after he let up on the back check and his man scored as he coasted along behind the guy. He's played a lot better since. Sutter gets the tougher assignments and Megna's speed allows him to get in on the fore check and still be able to get back. His biggest flaw so far is not being able to finish.

Another tough game. I hope we don't see another staged fight. We have to keep our feet moving against a team like this.

Canucks win 4-2

Go Canukcs Go!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

maybe thats true, doesn't mean Sven is better defensively then Sutter just means as a pair Bo and Sven are better then Sutter and Magna. I bet Sutter would be much better with Bo then Sven is, defensively. Its not about individually, its about who there playing with. Out of those 4 player who's name stands out?..........Magna, because he doesn't belong with the other three.

Thats my point. Sutter/Megna play a dump and chase style a fair bit offensively. Goldobin fits better with an off the rush/hanging onto the puck style like Baertschi and Horvat like to employ.

9 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Sven and Bo are getting better at picking up their guys in our zone but they took a while to get there. Sven got benched once after he let up on the back check and his man scored as he coasted along behind the guy. He's played a lot better since. Sutter gets the tougher assignments and Megna's speed allows him to get in on the fore check and still be able to get back. His biggest flaw so far is not being able to finish.

Another tough game. I hope we don't see another staged fight. We have to keep our feet moving against a team like this.

Canucks win 4-2

Go Canukcs Go!!!!!

Sutter does not get the tougher assignments over Horvat.  In fact Johnston was highlighting in January that his line has done better Corsi wise with Megna over Eriksson but noted that it was probably because they are facing lesser competition as Horvat is getting tougher and tougher matchups.  Even Horvat earlier in the year commented that it feels like he is getting tough matchups now each and every game.   Last game his line played Thornton and Burns and also saw their fair share of Vlasic.  Braun played exclusively vs the Sedins but Vlasic split his time between the top-2 lines.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats my point. Sutter/Megna play a dump and chase style a fair bit offensively. Goldobin fits better with an off the rush/hanging onto the puck style like Baertschi and Horvat like to employ.

Maybe Willie switches Errikson and Goldobin during the game?  

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

Why the #%@$ isn't Boucher playing? He had a great game. Even when Benning forces Willie to play the young prospects he still manages to make stupid decisions. Keep this up for the next 19 games WD and I'll hop right back on board the Fire Willie train.

I'm still on the fire Willie train.

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Canucks win 4-2

Go Canukcs Go!!!!!

I remember a guy back in the day who was super fast, but couldn't finish. One of my favourite Canucks of all time.. some posters even till last season would call him hands of stone... anybody know who I'm talking about?  Yeah that's it the honey badger!! 

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter does not get the tougher assignments over Horvat.  In fact Johnston was highlighting in January that his line has done better Corsi wise with Megna over Eriksson but noted that it was probably because they are facing lesser competition as Horvat is getting tougher and tougher matchups.  Even Horvat earlier in the year commented that it feels like he is getting tough matchups now each and every game.   Last game his line played Thornton and Burns and also saw their fair share of Vlasic.  Braun played exclusively vs the Sedins but Vlasic split his time between the top-2 lines.

That is a recent trend though. The match-ups on the road seem to be intended to negate Bo's offensive output; forcing him to spend more time defending.

I am still on board for the fire Willie train ever since late October when they were shut out back to back and couldn't score a goal on their 3rd game for 2 whole periods.   Sooner he is fired, the better it will be for the last 5 weeks of the season to see who can play and whom in preparation for next season.  I wouldn't want Willie to coach if he is not coming back next season so get rid of him now so that we can properly evaluate on our young players and also experiment splitting up the Sedin on the PP in preparation for the full-time split on PP, giving us 1 great playmaker on each unit next season.    Of course, keeping them together for 5 on 5 play or split up at some odd shift for a balanced attacking/defending during key moment of the game as experiment because we all know that two Sedin is  only great at possession so use them when we are down in the game.  

Archived