The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | March 4th, 2017 | 7pm | Sportsnet | The Hockey Goes Hollywood Edition

Cramarossa

If he's not ready send him to the comets. No point rushing our Russian 

but i I trust benning when he says he's ready

no wayyy benning let's willy play his little games with goldy

"willy this is our prized acquisition no no no I don't care if Megna is playing real gud. The fans are dying to see this kid. Goldy plays and that's final" 

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

"willy this is our prized acquisition no no no I don't care if Megna is playing real gud. The fans are dying to see this kid. Goldy plays and that's final" 

Is he waiver exempt?

5 minutes ago, billabong said:

Watch Goldy get like 8mins tonight lol

17 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not saying that Markstrom will pull a Dubnyk but I totally agree.  Markstrom should be given a chance (once he is healthy).  Even if they re-sign Miller, there's no point in riding him.  

Dubnyk was nowhere near being considered a legitimate #1 after his time in Edmonton.  He then bounced around before his meteoric rise in Minnesota.  I remember an interview with him where he really credited the systems in place there as helping his game.  

It remains to be seen if Markstrom can go through a similar trajectory (maybe not into Vezina contention) but I feel Markstrom has actually shown that he has it in him to become a legitimate starter.  While it's not a total excuse for his lacklustre play at times, he has had the challenge of playing infrequently on bad teams with systems that are either not great (or suited to his style) or that have not been well executed (probably the latter).

With the games having no playoff implications to close out this season, I want to see management and the coaching staff loosen up and enter teaching mode - not benching a young player immediately after an error but teaching them and letting them play through it, and that goes for Markstrom too.

Friedman told the story.  Dubnyk wouldn't listen early in his career.  He relayed to Dubnyk the words of Mitch Korn who told Friedman that Nashville let him go because he wouldn't listen to anybody.  Friedman says Dubnyk took it to heart and decided it was time to start listening.  When he got the opportunity in Arizona he listened - had actually a better GAA and SV% than Smith before he got traded to Minnesota.   Their systems did help him but in large part is also a change in attitude - himself admitted that he was just too stubborn earlier in his career.  

13 hours ago, Slegr said:

The games aren't quite as exciting without Tryamkin out there. We need to sign that guy long-term, along with Horvat. Those two are the faces of the franchise.

Call me crazy, but I think Tree has #1 D potential. 

I am glad King is gone to Montreal. Always seems to have a good game against us. I believe he is the one that Tram hit when he got that stinger on his shoulder. Noticed Tram at the bench wincing and clutching his shoulder after the run in.  Close call. Like seeing the big man in the lineup. Don't need anyone getting injured hitting or being hit by a Brick plug. 

I nominate TP to do every single GDT.  Epic. 

I feel no pressure for us to win...coasting, as we put the pieces together for a down the road deal.  Want the guys to keep playing hard and not get lethargic, that can be habit forming.    Although I feel a lull and miss the intensity of the playoff race, I now have teams that will keep me interested.  I always watch and love the playoffs, whether or not we're involved...but the Sens and Sharks will keep me emotionally invested.

GCG....let's start building a new foundation.

2 hours ago, tas said:

in what world is winning % an accurate way to evaluate goaltending? you know hockey is a team sport right?

markstrom's numbers:

gp 107  w 36  l 53  otl 12

his team's collected 39.3% of available points when he gets a decision. not very good, surely

roberto luongo, before he was a canuck, was already one of the very best goalies in the world. his pre-vancouver numbers:

gp 342  w 115  l 168  t/otl 42

39.8% of available points. 

if I omit luongo's last year in florida before getting traded those numbers get way uglier, dropping down to 36.1%.

what do these 2 guys have in common? they played exclusively for awful teams.

now markstrom may or may not have what it takes to be a decent number one, but from what we've seen, he plays better with more workload and he's never had an extended starting run in his career. 

whatever happens with markstrom, the only thing we know for sure right now is that trying to evaluate goaltenders using winning percentage is absolutely moronic. 

furthermore, I'll never understand canucks "fans". why do so many of you prefer to run around telling anyone that'll listen how badly each canucks player or prospect sucks, rather than supporting the team and hoping that those players will improve? you actually are rooting against these players and prospects, and by extension the team, because for you it's more important that you look like you were right than it is for the team to have success. it's embarrassing.

With that last paragraph, you're embarrassing. Most of us are in it to win a cup and in many cases have been so for 30-40+ years. What I read there is that you have been a fan of art Ross trophies and hope for individual success. Whereas other fans are critical of players that hurt this team, because they'd rather see the Canucks win the cup.

To not aknowledge that there's rough times ahead and to not think there's better players than what currently on this team is sheer stupidity. I find it more embarrassing in the hockey world to see that there's fans that think that absolutely all of our prospects are "can't miss" and that all of them should pan out. 

I'm sure there's tons of fans that want to win the cup and will call a spade a spade. And would rather have the team make moves to improve and getter better at spots where our players are weak. Then of course there's fans who love all of our players and prospects even if it means those players combined finish at 28th annually. Just keep being the embarrassment-free way you are.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I nominate TP to do every single GDT.  Epic. 

I feel no pressure for us to win...coasting, as we put the pieces together for a down the road deal.  Want the guys to keep playing hard and not get lethargic, that can be habit forming.    Although I feel a lull and miss the intensity of the playoff race, I now have teams that will keep me interested.  I always watch and love the playoffs, whether or not we're involved...but the Sens and Sharks will keep me emotionally invested.

GCG....let's start building a new foundation.

I thought Twinkle's Valentine's day GDT was awesome.

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

"Horvat picking up speed along the boards, late in this third period. He plays the puck off the boards to himself getting past Carter. Horvat circles around the net, in hot pursuit, is Doughty. Horvat centers the puck for Baertschi, who plays a quick pass to the top of the circle for Goldobin. He fakes a shot getting Muzzin to commit with a dive he skips past him and takes a high wrister. SCORES!!! Nikolay Goldobin with is first as a Canuck, bar down gives Vancouver the lead with 2:13 to play!"

Hopefully we will see some of this tomorrow! 

Read this in Shortys voice

31 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

With that last paragraph, you're embarrassing. Most of us are in it to win a cup and in many cases have been so for 30-40+ years. What I read there is that you have been a fan of art Ross trophies and hope for individual success. Whereas other fans are critical of players that hurt this team, because they'd rather see the Canucks win the cup.

To not aknowledge that there's rough times ahead and to not think there's better players than what currently on this team is sheer stupidity. I find it more embarrassing in the hockey world to see that there's fans that think that absolutely all of our prospects are "can't miss" and that all of them should pan out. 

I'm sure there's tons of fans that want to win the cup and will call a spade a spade. And would rather have the team make moves to improve and getter better at spots where our players are weak. Then of course there's fans who love all of our players and prospects even if it means those players combined finish at 28th annually. Just keep being the embarrassment-free way you are.

I happen to think he was spot on. You spun the stats in a way that fit your narrative of Markstrom, that he's useless and no good and cannot be relied upon to lead this team as a starting goaltender.

You flaunted those stats (even if the context was as erroneous as can be), as if to say "hey look, I'm right."

You are the kind of fans that make me sick, and bring a bad name to Canuck Nation. I have at times been critical and unforgiving, but never derisive to the point of taking pleasure in being right about a players uselessness or lack of skill.

Did it ever occur to you that goaltender winning percentage is a DIRECT byproduct of the coaching staff's systems, and the 18 skaters who's job it is to execute those systems and their efficacy while doing so?

Almost every stat relevant to a goaltender is directly influenced by coaching systems and the quality of the skaters on the team executing those systems. Save percentage and goals against, wins, win percentage, etc. All influenced by systems.

The one thing that doesn't correlate is how well a goaltender plays, and reacts when plays break down. Markstrom has been fine, but when you get your ass parked on the bench for weeks at a time it's difficult to keep the mental edge.

I do not want to see Miller back, not because I don't think he can help, because he very well could, but it would be disingenuous to Markstrom to bring him back. It calls into question whether or not he has the confidence of management. The reason Miller was brought in was because Benning was mandated to try and give the Sedins one last shot as "the guys" to win, and win now. We are now shifting focus to youth and developing the next core by handing them the reigns as the go to players on the team, this includes Markstrom.

Archived