The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | March 4th, 2017 | 7pm | Sportsnet | The Hockey Goes Hollywood Edition

Cramarossa

16 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Yep, the Oilers are going to be a legitimate team for a long time with Conner at the lead.  That said, I don't think ANYONE should follow their "model" on how to get there.  The fact they had to collect so many 1st overalls just to become even a half decent team really takes away from any future success they might have.

It wasn't even that which did it.  Look at last year when McDavid was out.  Without lucking into getting him, they'd be in tough to make the playoffs this year.  Same goes for the Leafs and Matthews, and even Jets with Laine.  If the Canucks had either of them, we'd be right in the hunt easily.  Even though the same calibre of players aren't available, hHopefully we strike gold this draft.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

It wasn't even that which did it.  Look at last year when McDavid was out.  Without lucking into getting him, they'd be in tough to make the playoffs this year.  Same goes for the Leafs and Matthews, and even Jets with Laine.  If the Canucks had either of them, we'd be right in the hunt easily.  Even though the same calibre of players aren't available, hHopefully we strike gold this draft.

McDavid is a special player, but they made a LOT of changes before this season with the new management in place.  That has as much to do with the Oilers success as Conner McDavid IMO

5 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

McDavid is a special player, but they made a LOT of changes before this season with the new management in place.  That has as much to do with the Oilers success as Conner McDavid IMO

Take McDavid out of that lineup and they struggle to make the playoffs.  They'd still be improved over last year, but most likely not enough to make it.  Put him in our lineup and we're in the wildcard.

Just now, Frail Granny said:

I'd take the experience he's gained in a winning organization at face value, and run with it. He doesn't need to be sent back to kindergarten 

That's not how the NHL works at all, maybe in a garbage organization like Arizona. 

You wouldn't last a day as a Red Wings fan.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's not how the NHL works at all, maybe in a garbage organization like Arizona. 

You wouldn't last a day as a Red Wings fan.

Because the Red Wings are a power house these days? They did great things in the non cap era. It's fizzled for them slowly since the cap has been put in place. The days of simmering prospects in the minors for five years is over. The young players are ready a lot sooner than they used to be. It's due to an evolution of coaching and development. I hate to use the Leafs as an example, but look no further. Yes, an NHL coach like Babcock is required to make it work though.

2 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Because the Red Wings are a power house these days? They did great things in the non cap era. It's fizzled for them slowly since the cap has been put in place. The days of simmering prospects in the minors for five years is over. The young players are ready a lot sooner than they used to be. It's due to an evolution of coaching and development. I hate to use the Leafs as an example, but look no further. Yes, an NHL coach like Babcock is required to make it work though.

Not at all true as all players develop at a much different rate yes, some superstar level players develop quickly but most do take time. While Willie may have some puzzling line choices he is a very good coach when it comes to developing young players his stint in Dallas and the work he's done here with Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi, Stecher, Tryamkin etc... has proved that. 

Is he a winning coachat the NHL level? That is still up for debate as he's never really had a really good team to work with.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not at all true as all players develop at a much different rate yes, some superstar level players develop quickly but most do take time. While Willie may have some puzzling line choices he is a very good coach when it comes to developing young players his stint in Dallas and the work he's done here with Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi, Stecher, Tryamkin etc... has proved that. 

Is he a winning coachat the NHL level? That is still up for debate as he's never really had a really good team to work with.

I think his style is more suited to junior or the minors. There's probably good reason he had to wait so long for an NHL gig. I was duped by him year one, but after countless decisions like tonight, I've come to realize he's not suited for this level. Like, does Goldy even play tomorrow? With Willie, I have no idea.

3 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

So in your world, when a team does well, it's because of good players, but if the team struggles, it's the coach's fault?  That's just insane!

Not quite. Sometimes it's the players, sometimes it's the coach. Torts worked great... until he didn't. And when the wheels came off in Calgary, he couldn't put the wheels back on again.

If you're going to defend Willie and his retarded player selection, be my guest.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Like I have been saying all along to the clowns that say we don't have the roster (even though we pay to the cap) it's no excuse for pathetic special teams. That's all on the coach 

willie has an new found offensive weapon, who finally generates some excitement and buzz to a terrible Willie lead season, and good OLD Willie benches him in favour of plugs that apparently "know the system" 

Plugs who, in the case of Chaput, Megna and Skille, will most likely not even see a day of service for the team next year.  Goldobin, Virtanen, Boeser, Dahlen and perhaps even Gaudette or Lockwood will see service next year.  To play these "temps" seems odd to me.   Time for the young and for the players from the farm in general to have a chance to play.  Why else would we bother to move Hansen and Burrows if not development?

4 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

Plugs who, in the case of Chaput, Megna and Skille, will most likely not even see a day of service for the team next year.  Goldobin, Virtanen, Boeser, Dahlen and perhaps even Gaudette or Lockwood will see service next year.  To play these "temps" seems odd to me.   Time for the young and for the players from the farm in general to have a chance to play.  Why else would we bother to move Hansen and Burrows if not development?

Clearly Willie is not aligned with what the Canucks need to do for the future

he is an old dog that plays an old system and is incapable of doing anything different 

what sad is his "system" is useless 

Archived