The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

pressing a lead which is what the jets did against the avs. granted the avs suck really, really, bad and the jets gave them half a period of mercy hockey before scoring the 6th, but noooo, willie's hockey is go up 4-0, then play panic mode, and get into penalty trouble, oh, and bench goldy. **** outta here

2 minutes ago, 5ubmarine said:

this is exactly what he did after boucher scored in detroit

demoted.

odd thinking.

this really slows down the development of the young players.

i'd rather just let them make mistakes when it costs nothing for us right now, rather it will gain us a top pick in this year's draft

willie's an idiot

Not having Boucher in tonight and utilizing him more since we acquired him is another WD mistake and you're right WD doesn't motivate the players what he does stapling them to the bench or press box has more of a negative effect on them than.letting them grow and gain confidence.

Good solid effort and they get rewarded with a W that snaps us out of this funk. Bo wearing the A in his 1st game having it as a Canuck didn't disappoint. He had one hell of a game. He helped set up Eriksson who managed to get the puck on net and Baer was right on the doorstep and made no mistake. Then Hank banked one of dirty Doughty but hey it counts! Shortly after, Bo with a gorgeous power move to the net and goes off a Kings forward and in. Thought that he probably deserved to be credited with the goal but it's all good. Baer was also among those who had themselves a good game. Goldy starts off his Canucks career on the right track as Hutton dug the puck out for him and he was off to the races and roofed it home. Millsy was also sensational tonight. He kept us in the game especially in the 3rd after we were raided for the most part. Very lucky to come away with the win but will take it in any way, shape or form. Hope they go over .500 for the road trip. GCG!

Just now, canuck2288 said:

I hope the microphones are in JB's face asking for an explanation 

lets start pressuring him for answers to Willie's insanity 

Funny thing is on Trade Deadline day suring his press conference he talked about getting the kids to play and a reporter even asked is this an opportunity for kids to show what they have to make next years team and he said Yes. Apparently Willie never got that message.

Didn't Linden and Benning say that they wanted to build a team that played an up tempo still of game. So I think we seen a fast up tempo game until WD went down to three lines. When you go to three lines you get tiered guys and risk penalties.

Sorry Willie, you may be a good teacher. But when you keep give giving lots of ice times to the twins even though they kept committing holding and hooking penalties game after game, and limiting the ice time for the youth players, I think it is time for the organization to consider if your are the right coach.

And coach, you talked about Goldobin not knowing about the system. Sorry, I don't see your system, even if we won tonight.

There's a lot of factors that play into why Goldobin was benched but none of them make sense in my books.

Sure, WD may have wanted to protect him physically. That's 1. - The kid can look after himself, he's played with the Sharks and against men before, and the Kings aren't going to just goon him up for no reason.

He may have wanted to play more defensive-sound, physical players like Gaunce, Eriksson and Sutter/Horvat. That I understand, but the Sedins are no better defensively than Goldobin and they're out there in the final minutes. I understand logging Gaunce, Eriksson, Horvat and Sutter big minutes because they were fantastic defensively, but then WD goes and puts Chaput and Megna out on the ice. They make one nice play, lead to an odd-man rush, completely whiff on the chance due to zero offensive skill and then take a brutal offensive zone penalty that leads to a massive goal against and gets the Kings back in the game. Put Goldobin on the ice for that shift and he probably scores, and probably doesn't take a bad penalty either. Megna and Chaput both with 2 minute minors in the game.

He may have just wanted to shorten the bench in the 3rd period to drag the lead. That never really works, and this team has to start thinking about the future - not be so hung up and desperate about wins now. We're not making the playoffs. We're looking to the future. Management has accepted this with their trades, now our on-ice play has to mimic that. We have no sync between our coaches and management right now which is why we see old Sedins out there defending a lead while the rookies aren't put in situations they need to be in to grow and develop. WD is not preparing this team for the future, he's still clearly trying to win now. It's a MASSIVE discourse that will hopefully end up in his firing, because he's not priming the kids well enough. He's certainly sheltering them, but tonight is a night when Goldobin really could have used a confidence boost and played out against the Kings defensively to see what he can do, and to see what it's like facing a desperate team on the attack. Now he'll just have to wait.

The only plausible reason for benching Goldobin is so that he doesn't get too cocky, ala McCann and Virtanen. Those kids were gifted big minutes from the get-go, they earned it quickly but didn't play consistently and expected big minutes. Perhaps WD wants Goldobin to work a lot harder to earn his minutes. A goal is great, but you see Gaunce working like a dog defensively against Doughty - that's what WD probably wants to see. Hard defensive work.

If that's the reason - I understand. A pretty goal is lovely but we need to be built from defence out and defence from forwards. If he wants more of that and more physicality from Goldobin then fair enough but one thing at a time, and a GWG in your first game is about as good as it gets.

I expect JB to have some serious discussions in the off-season with coaching and trying to get them on the same rebuilding page because I'm not sure if this style of development will work, but time will tell. So far it's paid of for Horvat quite nicely as he's been gradually introduced minutes-wise, hopefully it's the same for Goldobin. You'd hate to put massive expectations on the kid straight off the bat.

5 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Gotta say that was probably the best game I've seen from Gaunce.  Battled hard and was very solid. 

Guance is a favorite of mine because of his character effort and skills that will one day shine through but also because I've felt he's had more to give but the coach is knocking him down while giving others as he's been known.to do a free ride.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There's a lot of factors that play into why Goldobin was benched but none of them make sense in my books.

Sure, WD may have wanted to protect him physically. That's 1. - The kid can look after himself, he's played with the Sharks and against men before, and the Kings aren't going to just goon him up for no reason.

He may have wanted to play more defensive-sound, physical players like Gaunce, Eriksson and Sutter/Horvat. That I understand, but the Sedins are no better defensively than Goldobin and they're out there in the final minutes. I understand logging Gaunce, Eriksson, Horvat and Sutter big minutes because they were fantastic defensively, but then WD goes and puts Chaput and Megna out on the ice. They make one nice play, lead to an odd-man rush, completely whiff on the chance due to zero offensive skill and then take a brutal offensive zone penalty that leads to a massive goal against and gets the Kings back in the game. Put Goldobin on the ice for that shift and he probably scores, and probably doesn't take a bad penalty either. Megna and Chaput both with 2 minute minors in the game.

He may have just wanted to shorten the bench in the 3rd period to drag the lead. That never really works, and this team has to start thinking about the future - not be so hung up and desperate about wins now. We're not making the playoffs. We're looking to the future. Management has accepted this with their trades, now our on-ice play has to mimic that. We have no sync between our coaches and management right now which is why we see old Sedins out there defending a lead while the rookies aren't put in situations they need to be in to grow and develop. WD is not preparing this team for the future, he's still clearly trying to win now. It's a MASSIVE discourse that will hopefully end up in his firing, because he's not priming the kids well enough. He's certainly sheltering them, but tonight is a night when Goldobin really could have used a confidence boost and played out against the Kings defensively to see what he can do, and to see what it's like facing a desperate team on the attack. Now he'll just have to wait.

The only plausible reason for benching Goldobin is so that he doesn't get too cocky, ala McCann and Virtanen. Those kids were gifted big minutes from the get-go, they earned it quickly but didn't play consistently and expected big minutes. Perhaps WD wants Goldobin to work a lot harder to earn his minutes. A goal is great, but you see Gaunce working like a dog defensively against Doughty - that's what WD probably wants to see. Hard defensive work.

If that's the reason - I understand. A pretty goal is lovely but we need to be built from defence out and defence from forwards. If he wants more of that and more physicality from Goldobin then fair enough but one thing at a time, and a GWG in your first game is about as good as it gets.

I expect JB to have some serious discussions in the off-season with coaching and trying to get them on the same rebuilding page because I'm not sure if this style of development will work, but time will tell. So far it's paid of for Horvat quite nicely as he's been gradually introduced minutes-wise, hopefully it's the same for Goldobin. You'd hate to put massive expectations on the kid straight off the bat.

And I understand the mindset behind limiting the kids minutes but he should have at least gotten a few shifts in the 3rd.

I was looking at Goldy's stats and he seems to have had a lot of ups and downs defensively. He has a lot of -3s and -2s and also a lot of plus games. The only reasoning that makes any sense is that sitting him will get him more motivated while protecting the confidence he just gained by scoring in his first game. Getting scored on after might have taken a little shine off of his goal.

The guy who scores the game winner sits on the bench and watches pretty much the whole game, while the Sedins make defensive blunder after defensive blunder and are still fed too many minutes. Seriously? 

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Funny thing is on Trade Deadline day suring his press conference he talked about getting the kids to play and a reporter even asked is this an opportunity for kids to show what they have to make next years team and he said Yes. Apparently Willie never got that message.

Exactly 

what do we care what Megna can do?(he can do nothing) We already know he and Chaput are stop gap plugs 

neither will be here next year so why are we wasting playing time on them? 

Its as if Willie wants to get fired so do it JB!!!

86 Points is the minimum needed to make post-season in the west, but with point inflation down the stretch, I think 90-91 points will be the necessary amount. So let's see: 29-30 points needed to make post-season, that's 15-2-1 in the final 18. Pretty much impossible at this point, but if they can get to 86 points, that's 13-5-0 or 13-4-1 down the stretch. That's more do-able.

36 minutes ago, D'Angelo Russell said:

Goldobin can't be trusted since he scored a goal. 

Well ya,

Willie is clearly wanting Goldobin to learn how to play defensive hockey but Goldy defied his coach by disobeying orders and crossing the centre line for a break away. Willie was yelling the whole way for him to get back into his own end but the goal went in and Goldobin took his spot on the end of the bench.

Archived