The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Any other player would have their butt stapled to the bench after the type of penalty Megna took but not Willie's pet player 

yes. a hooking/tripping penalty 200 feet from your own net is 100% unjustifiable.

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

This quote is baloney because he wasn't even given a chance to show the defensive side of hockey after scoring a goal.   If he didn't look good then by all means sit him down.  He should be given a chance to play a few more minutes to see the LA desperation and see how he hold himself up.  Rest o the team didn't hold themselves well after another breakdown period.  

Weren't we leading 4-0 when he got benched? Then the wheels came off and we almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by taking the foot off the gas?

Maybe the problem isn't knowing the system but the actual system itself once we get what should be (but never is) a defendable lead.

How you come out of the 2nd is important? Did he see that we played like garbage once he outcoached himself yet again with that nugget

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think we are getting a group of players here who have the skill to play a lot more up tempo style of game. Add Gaudette and Boeser .  They will need a coach.

Actually that is reportedly Willie's game, he just needs the horses to do it.  As the Sedins are further marginalized and the youth become ready, we'll see the pace increase.  That's the type of player that Benning is consistently drafting.

32 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

What a beautiful man, We need you, Please re-sign!.. will drive you to the ai...erm, to every home game! 

dunno why, but that picture reminds me of a young version of willie almost lol. just realized that when i quoted you the picture doesnt show up, screw it.

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

yes. a hooking/tripping penalty 200 feet from your own net is 100% unjustifiable.

Instead he staples Goldy's butt  A kid that just happened to score a highlight reel goal on one of his 20 second shifts he was granted by Willie 

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

WD said it before, he wants players that play well defensively first. Then they can be trusted and go on the offense. Bo, Baer, Granny, all did that and have done well so far. 

The opposite approach Winnipeg took with Laine...that seems to have worked out well for him. 

WD has one way to develop players.  He is a one trick pony. Unfortunately, every player is different and good coaches use a complete tool box to develop talent not the "one size fits all" approach.

Good teams play strong defense but not at the expense of stifling offense.  WD has yet to figure out how to achieve that.  His treatment of Goldobin tonight shows he doesn't even understand the concept.

This game shows how desperately this team needs Tryamkin and Gudbranson in the lineup.

LA was pushing the Canucks around all night... without a stellar performance by Miller it would have been a loss.

Can a reporter please have the b*lls to stand up and ask WD exactly why it is he plays Megna so much... considering his liabilities?

A guy who takes a stupid penalty at exactly the wrong time and cues the LA near comeback?

WD shortens the bench with the score at 4-1... and sits Goldy...  how much of a lead do you need to continue to play the guy who scored for you?

Does WD want to develop this kid's talent and confidence or not???

Goldobin scores a goal... and he gets benched???  What must the kid have been thinking???

WD is a moron... any positives this guy may get for young player development, he clearly doesn't know how to coach.

He is playing to save his own a$$... desperate to pad his win/loss record in the hopes he doesn't get fired.

He should be gone the day after the season ends.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Actually that is reportedly Willie's game, he just needs the horses to do it.  As the Sedins are further marginalized and the youth become ready, we'll see the pace increase.  That's the type of player that Benning is consistently drafting.

Lol we have the horses. But Desjardins prefers those Sedins and Negna/Chaput types.

We could right now play an up tempo style if we actually decided not to rely on the Sedins and Edler. 

17 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

To clarify my Willy comments: I don't like stapling Goldobin either... selfishly, I want to see what he can do and want to see him succeed.  That said, I'm willing to give Coach the benefit of the doubt.

Why?  Because look at what he's done with Horvat, Baertschi and Granlund.  Our 3 promising young forwards have all performed beyond expectations under Willy.  For Baer and Bo at least, he has been criticized for not playing them enough.  Same here again.  That's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt in my book... and to be fair I don't think Willy is a great tactician or anything like that.  

For the counter-point of Virt/McCann: for Virtanen, I think Willy did okay, but when you have the Twins and Burrows calling you out in the media... that goes beyond the coach. I "blame" management for not sending him down earlier, even though they've got it absolutely right at the moment.  

Super excited to see Goldobin develop.. looked better than I thought he would tonight.

He's had enough time to have the benefit of the doubt.  Horvat is excelling in spite of Willie.  Most of Horvat's goals are scored on the rush, not as a result of these "systems" he wants everyone to learn.  Maybe Jim Benning saw something in Baer and Granlund that Calgary didn't?  It's not like they gave Baer much of a chance anyways (he was essentially given the treatment that our new russian prospect was given this game)

i think our PP would be alot better if we play Edler as a forward and tell him to pretend like he's defending the opposing teams goalie. He seems to screen our goalie so perfectly (like on the 3rd goal against), i think he'd be great for that role . . . .

Archived