The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

30 minutes ago, DirtNasty said:

Please for the love of all that is holy fire willie he is the absolute worst coach in the entire NHL, I won't be tuning in to anymore games until he is gone, his style of coaching is so very boring to watch, if we are going to be losing games I'd still like to be entertained a little and that won't happen with this sorry excuse of a coach.

You don't watch much hockey then, huh? 

Our coach might bench players, but at least he gets something out of the players he dresses. 

Just now, Tomato Pajamas said:

Our coach might bench players, but at least he gets something out of the players he dresses. 

Why doesn't he bench the Twins and Errikson?  Aren't they the worst three for soft play, and bad turnovers?  

3 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Ahhh.  Loui E says hello to you.

Willie is the worst coach in the NHL and has lost this team.   28th overall is nothing to brag about.

#FireWillie

17 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we use to be a goalie grave yard, now we are a coaches grave yard. crow, AV, torts and WD.  this fan base seems to have to have someone to bash.  i doubt some fans would be happy with any coach brought in.  a coach has to make his decisions based on what the fans want. why can't coaches understand that? let us make up the line up every game.  only we know the right combination for power plays. 

Well said.  Some of our fans just whine non stop.. with no clue how to run a hockey team.  It's one thing to be a pationate fan.  Totally other thing to pretend you know the job better than the pros.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Ahhh.  Loui E says hello to you.

Willie is the worst coach in the NHL and has lost this team.   28th overall is nothing to brag about.

#FireWillie

Lols you've hated the guy since day one. I think we'd rather have him as a coach than you as a fan #firekos

so what exactly quailifies you to be the judge of who's the worst coach??  Sounds like a lot of complaining without any experience to make a proper judgment 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why doesn't he bench the Twins and Errikson?  Aren't they the worst three for soft play, and bad turnovers?  

Don't forget all the lazy slashing, hooking and holding penalties they're starting to take pretty regularly now.

The Sedins got totally run over last night. Henrik took a face off late in the 3rd and you could see in his face he was totally exhausted, mentally and physically.

I think secretly those 2 were hoping they'd be traded.

4 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Well said.  Some of our fans just whine non stop.. with no clue how to run a hockey team.  It's one thing to be a pationate fan.  Totally other thing to pretend you know the job better than the pros.

Too many Canuck fans  just make excuses for ineffective Management.  This club spends to the Cap and should be a competitive club if properly managed. 

Poor management has gotten the team into the position we are right now.  

Fans have every right to ask for the clubs coaches / GM  to do whats best for the long term health of our club. 

Willie has done a decent job in my opinion.  While I don't agree with every decision he's made, I think his decisions and time spent with the team will have excellent long-term benefits. 

Imo the priority with this team is to develop our youngsters (especially our top prospects) in a structured, patient environment. Teach them good habits, work on fitness, and gradually give them more responsibility and ice time until they're ready to take over this team. Ideally when most of our new core hits their prime. The reason players like Vey and Megna were/are given more ice time wasn't because they were Willie's favourites, but instead to protect our more valuable youngsters from being given too much too soon. Besides, let guys like Megna and Chaput be given oodles of ice time at this point. They'll just help guide us to a top 3 pick, which is what we need the most right now.

Willie gets 8/10. He's following management's directives to the letter.

4 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Lols you've hated the guy since day one. I think we'd rather have him as a coach than you as a fan #firekos

so what exactly quailifies you to be the judge of who's the worst coach??  Sounds like a lot of complaining without any experience to make a proper judgment 

You are right.  I hated the deal from day one.  LouiE  contract made zero sense to me and if I  was FA  i would have fired Benning on the spot for that deal.

We all have the right as a fan to evaluate our clubs management.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Too many Canucks just make excuses for ineffective Management.  This club spends to the Cap and should be a competitive club if properly managed. 

Poor management has gotten the team into the position we are right now.  

Fans have every right to ask for the clubs coaches / GM  to do whats best for the long term health of our club. 

Dude, we are in this position not due to this management.  I'm not going to get into the details as I'm sure somebody will have to patience to spoon feed you.  We are rebuilding... sit back and enjoy the ride.  Life's a lot more enjoyable when you don't spend it doing your best impersonation of a crotchety old man.  It'll come around bud.. but you have to be patient. ;) 

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Don't forget all the lazy slashing, hooking and holding penalties they're starting to take pretty regularly now.

The Sedins got totally run over last night. Henrik took a face off late in the 3rd and you could see in his face he was totally exhausted, mentally and physically.

I think secretly those 2 were hoping they'd be traded.

I see Willie being unfair with his expectations of his vets compared to his young guys.  

Based on results he has achieved nothing. The only way to justify him as a good coach is to make excuses for the performance of the team over the last three years.

In his first year he  was handed a veteran group only a couple years from being a cup contender.  They managed to make the playoffs in a weak division but he was badly out-coached by Calgary and lost embarrassingly.

Since then, he has presided over a team that has  been spiralling downward in almost every category.  The PP is abysmal and he has no answers and has stubbornly resisted changes to it.  The PK is bad and getting worse (started long before Burr and Hanse left).  The defensive system many brag about sees our team hemmed in its own end for minutes at a time and frequently dominated for periods at a time, unable to even clear the zone. Only great goaltending has kept this team in many of the games it has won, where the rest of the team was totally out-played/classed.

Offensively, the team generates little sustained pressure and relies on Bo or luck to score most nights.  Last night - 8 shots through the first half of the game...9 in the second half.

The goaltending has been stellar for the most part and is the reason why this team was not 30th last year and again this year.   With average goaltending, this team is playing at an AHL level most nights.

Results = D

Outside of results...his one-size-fits-all approach to developing youth where everyone has to learn to be a 4th line energy/shut down guy before they can be put in positions better suited to their skill set is something I really disagree with.  I understand it, I just don't agree it is effective with all players and can take a toll on young guys' confidence and development. 

Where this team is in its development, it needs a coach that will play the kids in positions to succeed and "teach/coach them the areas they are weak on whilst they are allowed to contribute in areas they are suited to.  Benching Goldy after his aggressive maneuver last night and benching Boucher after his impressive game is all about the stick with no carrot.  This team sadly lacks offensive instincts and is being stymied.  Kids need to feel success to build confidence. 

I see nothing in WD's coaching style that brings any confidence that he is anything more than a successful AHL coach struggling to figure things out at the NHL level.  Because of that, he overly relies on veterans - who have more experience than he does in the league - and is overly harsh/conservative on how he deploys the youth. 

Development of youth and line up management = C-

As for entertainment value....watching our vets (Sedins, Edler) is the antithesis of entertaining yet even now, with the season out of reach (except for the extremely delusional) and with a clear statement from JB that the remaining games are about youth showcasing their stuff, WD continues to manage the line up as if scraping out a win is more important than giving the kids valuable exposure to the NHL and getting a good hard look at what the team has heading into next year.

Entertainment Value = C

What he has done is get the team to play hard most nights.   There have also been many nights where the team has not come ready to play even in crucial games.

Team Effort = B

Just now, TheOgRook said:

Dude, we are in this position not due to this management.  I'm not going to get into the details as I'm sure somebody will have to patience to spoon feed you.  We are rebuilding... sit back and enjoy the ride.  Life's a lot more enjoyable when you don't spend it doing your best impersonation of a crotchety old man.  It'll come around bud.. but you have to be patient. ;) 

Actually management has set our rebuild back  3-4  years in a SAD attempt to win again with Hank and Danny.   You and JB have to stop trying to relive  2011 finals..

You have to know when to hold em and when to fold em....

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Is Willie D the right coach for the rebuild?

16 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

What exactly does he get out of our players that any other coach couldn't ?? I watch a lot of hockey actually and he is one of if not the worst coaches I've ever seen , but hey that's just my opinion bud 

5 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

But it's fun being a crotchety old man.

6 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

what a broad statement you just made. 

You think willie is the one responsible for Horvats, Baer, Granlunds progression but actually it's the player that has made the difference through preseverence AND playing through the coaches biased view and usage of veterans over younger players EVEN when the numbers show that the vets are making just as many mistakes but they are not held accountable to the same degree.

The fact that there is such a big gap in accountability between the veterans who repeatedly make the same mistakes and the young players who need play, and  make mistakes to learn and develop is enough for us to see him detrimental to our youth and as  a  major cause of stagnation in their long term development.

this fact alone is enough to get his ass fired but somehow he's still employed and causing huge damage to our prospects by shattering their confidence  at a very delicate but enormously critical junction of their development.

I don't think people understand how Willie works.

First, he makes young players earn their ice time.  That's exactly what you've described Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin doing.

Once you prove that you can play Willie gives players all the rope in the world to work things out.  Everybody slumps from time to time.  They sort it out and move forward.

The fact that there is a list of young players who have climbed up the pecking order proves that Willie is not completely unfair.  It's a pretty damn hard ladder to climb though.  If a player does climb it, he knows that he has achieved something.

In Willies world, it's hard to slide down the ladder.  However, players do slide.  Did anyone notice Larsen last night?  No, he was hanging out by the popcorn machine.  A couple of weeks ago, people were going, why is Larsen in when Biega has been just fine.  Well, I think Biega is now ahead of Larsen since player reviews.

12 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Well Og, unless you are actually an NHL GM, you have no more right to judge what is put on these forums than anyone else. 

This is a forum for fans to express their OPINIONS based on what they see, like, want etc.  Shocking they don't all see the world the same as you.

Perhaps superior folks like yourself would be better directly conversing with JB and WD and avoid all the uninformed rabble that make up CDC.  Or you could become a moderator and just delete comments you don't agree with?

Archived