The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Future of the Vancouver Canucks

Zigmund.Palffy

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well that's rather interesting.  "A lot" is certainly more than one or two.  We're all expecting Boeser to have a good shot at making the opening day roster, and I've heard rumblings that they want to get Juolevi in, and perhaps they are confident of a college FA or two stepping in.  Roster spots are available, so who else is ready to make the jump?

Pro is also AHL. 

Looking at the organization’s depth chart, it’s easy to envision a 2017-18 Canucks team with Boeser, Gaudette, Goldobin, Virtanen and, maybe, Juolevi in the lineup. That would certainly be consistent with this new direction, and it would be popular with the majority of the fans.

But it’s not the reality Linden and Benning envision. Granted, the kids can surprise you, but right now, the plan is for Boeser and Juolevi to start the season in Utica, and it’s possible the 20-year-old Gaudette could spend another year at Northeastern. Who knows where Virtanen will be, but as of this writing, the 21-year-old Goldobin is the only prospect who projects as a Canuck at the start of next season.

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have a feeling that Boeser will be on the team next season. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.

Also, I agree with @cookieeater55, I would love to pull Reinhart out of Buffalo. With both Eichel and O'Reilly, I could see them moving Reinhart for a massive haul, and I think we're actually in a position to pull that off. Provided we don't land one of the top two picks in the draft, I would be willing to offer up our 2017 1st, one of Tanev/Hutton, one of Virtanen/Sutter (If Sutter is willing to waive...which he won't), and the Columbus 2nd rd pick (provided Buffalo send us their 3rd).

Having both Horvat and Reinhart would give us a much clearer view of what direction the team will take over the next few years. Love to see them duke it out for the no 1 center position.

I'd do that deal for Jack.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You have to give up a lot to get a lot. The deals proposed here tend to be massively lopsided in favor of the Canucks, and Reinhart has put up 41 points in 64 games in just his second season in the NHL. He's already a top six player, with the potential to get a hell of a lot better.

Edit: Of course, this is assuming we don't land one of the top 2 picks. If we luck out and get one of those picks, take one of Patrick or Hischier and run.

Yes but let's put this into perspective:

Tanev is probably worth a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range.

Virtanen is probably worth a late 1st or early 2nd.

Our 1st round pick is going to be around 5th overall.

The Torts pick is going to be around 50th-55th overall.

All of that for Reinhart?

I agree that a lot of CDC overvalues our own players but that would a pretty massive overpayment IMO. We're better off trying our luck with the 5th overall pick , hanging onto Virtanen in hopes that he one day figures it out, keeping that 2nd round Torts pick in hopes that JB can find another gem later on in the draft and either keeping or trading Tanev in a separate deal. That seems like a lot of value to me.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think it was always the plan for him to be in Utica this season.  They just needed to get him out of Calgary, so they parked him, for the year, with the big club

I agree that was the plan but I thought he did enough, as I said, to maybe change their minds. 

When you think of it Bo was kept up after 13? "steady" games - well I thought Jake looked pretty good, more than steady on some nights at the tail end of last season.

I'm sure his chance will come again though, he just has to be patient.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Sadly I think if he had started the season in condition he would already be playing 12-15 mins a night here now.

Imo it wasn't his lack of skill that sent him to Utica it was that he was the fact he reported in the pre-season out of condition and unlike Try wouldn't take responsibility for it.

I still think he was playing well for us after he came back from the WJC till the end of last season.

Pretty sure it wasn't just conditioning.  He was always going to be a longer-term project, unlike the fancy dancers picked around him.  Fantastic raw skills but he needs time to develop his game.

14 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think his point, with which I agree, is that we need size (as well as skill and speed) to compete in our division (and yes I know we won two games in California this week).

If you don't have a lot of size in the forwards, it can be compensated by speed and Linden is determined this team is going to be fast - you can already see the signs.

My concern, despite liking the direction of our prospect pool is what the competitors youngins looks like. Mcdavid for example.  

Personally think that we are looking at talent only  when there are other things to consider.

If it's talent against talent it makes it hard to compete with the likes of mcdavid and company. 

So its my impression that gmjb is strongly focused on players who are willing to play at both ends of the ice.  While goldobin is no doubt talented what is his play like inbhis own end? 

This team needs to be really strong in its own end FIRST and still be capable of scoring

You cant ice 4 lines with offensive talent but you can ice 4 lines that can keep the puck out of there own net. 

Its why coaching these youngsters in a oarticular way NOW is so important. 

They already know how to score. Team defense is imperative for our future success in our own division. 

3 yrs from now it will be getting past the oilers in the scp to have sucess making it to the end . 

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Er, no.  Unless you can explain how they could add another $6-7mil when already up against the cap.

Burrows would have been bought out. They offered Lucic 6 years. The Oilers gave him 7 and the promise of playing with McJesus. Probably the only reason Lucic is an Oiler and not a Canuck right now.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

True and likely what he meant, same as when Benning talked about signing their players he meant junior, college, and overseas.  Should be a pretty big influx to the Comets.  Author didn't realize Juolevi can't go to Utica, though.

I noticed that too but he probably meant when he turns pro.  Don't think the plan is for him to make the team but rather do another year in juniors or do like Goldobin and loan him overseas.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Juolevi can't play in Utica next year though.... who wrote that?:lol:

It was Willes - he mentions that he talked to Linden just after he came out of meeting with ownership - sounds like they are on board with the plan to be patient.

Just now, alfstonker said:

If you don't have a lot of size in the forwards, it can be compensated by speed and Linden is determined this team is going to be fast - you can already see the signs.

Even after the TDL deals, Benning said he's looking for more skill and speed and sounded like he planned to acquire more.  By all past accounts, Willie has his teams play a very up-tempo game, driven by puck-moving/rushing D.  Combine that with the high work effort they're instilling and high-motor players they're drafting, and this team is going to be fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

My concern, despite liking the direction of our prospect pool is what the competitors youngins looks like. Mcdavid for example.  

Personally think that we are looking at talent only  when there are other things to consider.

If it's talent against talent it makes it hard to compete with the likes of mcdavid and company. 

So its my impression that gmjb is strongly focused on players who are willing to play at both ends of the ice.  While goldobin is no doubt talented what is his play like inbhis own end? 

This team needs to be really strong in its own end FIRST and still be capable of scoring

You cant ice 4 lines with offensive talent but you can ice 4 lines that can keep the puck out of there own net. 

Its why coaching these youngsters in a oarticular way NOW is so important. 

They already know how to score. Team defense is imperative for our future success in our own division. 

3 yrs from now it will be getting past the oilers in the scp to have sucess making it to the end . 

I think you are right. I would also add speed as a factor - speed kills. We saw it last night and in LA. Even guys like Stecher and Hutton can break with pace. Hell you can even add Biega, Try and Sbisa too.

3 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Burrows would have been bought out. They offered Lucic 6 years. The Oilers gave him 7 and the promise of playing with McJesus. Probably the only reason Lucic is an Oiler and not a Canuck right now.

Still not enough.  They probably wanted Lucic first, with Eriksson as their second choice.  They were only ever planning to get one.

Just now, mll said:

I noticed that too but he probably meant when he turns pro.  Don't think the plan is for him to make the team but rather do another year in juniors or do like Goldobin and loan him overseas.

It was Willes - he mentions that he talked to Linden just after he came out of meeting with ownership - sounds like they are on board with the plan to be patient.

I could see Boeser pulling a Stecher next year and forcing his way on to the Canucks (even if they try to keep him on Utica initially). But otherwise, I'd be fully on board with that direction.

Boeser, Dahlen, maybe Gaudette etc all on Utica. Hopefully Virtanen too (at least to start).

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Even after the TDL deals, Benning said he's looking for more skill and speed and sounded like he planned to acquire more.  By all past accounts, Willie has his teams play a very up-tempo game, driven by puck-moving/rushing D.  Combine that with the high work effort they're instilling and high-motor players they're drafting, and this team is going to be fun to watch.

Have you read what WD did at MH? 

You have to think that's his calling card.

3 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Montreal offered more money for the same term but Lucic couldn't see himself as a Hab - they were the final team with the Oilers.  He recently said that if Julien was the coach things could have been different.

29 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I think we are going to be a fast team. Time and time again I see flashes of what Linden/Willie are building towards. They break forward as fast as any team I have watched in the league this season and you can tell it unsettles teams.

Benning is clearly looking to create a team that will be able to manage any type of team. Skill, speed, size, defensively responsible, and most of the players look to be willing to muck it up in the corners to make plays happen, rather than Vrbata away from an incoming forecheck.

Another great thing is that the players are going to be establishing a chemistry with each other that, to me, is essential.

Archived