The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Future of the Vancouver Canucks

Zigmund.Palffy

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I have a feeling that Boeser will be on the team next season. Don't ask me why, just a gut feeling.

Also, I agree with @cookieeater55, I would love to pull Reinhart out of Buffalo. With both Eichel and O'Reilly, I could see them moving Reinhart for a massive haul, and I think we're actually in a position to pull that off. Provided we don't land one of the top two picks in the draft, I would be willing to offer up our 2017 1st, one of Tanev/Hutton, one of Virtanen/Sutter (If Sutter is willing to waive...which he won't), and the Columbus 2nd rd pick (provided Buffalo send us their 3rd).

Having both Horvat and Reinhart would give us a much clearer view of what direction the team will take over the next few years. Love to see them duke it out for the no 1 center position.

Or sign Reese (apparently he has Vancouver connections) and continue playing him with Gaudette...don't know how the college game with these two will translate to the NHL? They're sure racking up the points at the NCAA level...both doing better than Boeser.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning is clearly looking to create a team that will be able to manage any type of team. Skill, speed, size, defensively responsible, and most of the players look to be willing to muck it up in the corners to make plays happen, rather than Vrbata away from an incoming forecheck.

Another great thing is that the players are going to be establishing a chemistry with each other that, to me, is essential.

I don't know how big or physical his forwards are. The brand new kids are as small as Granny and Cheese. Not an ideal top nine already. The D has a softy and a meany pairing and I see bully patrol penalties coming out of that.

As for speed, are they actually faster than any other young group? Probably not. 

Look at Radim this year, proof of his pouty, indifferent play while here. What a waste of a roster spot he became. 

I'd like to see some kind of a trade for Lowry, involving Gaunce. 

Just now, Pete M said:

Or sign Reese (apparently he has Vancouver connections) and continue playing him with Gaudette...don't know how the college game with these two will translate to the NHL? They're sure racking up the points at the NCAA level...both doing better than Boeser.

For every great player to come up from the NCAA, there are 10 that don't. 

Vey was a terrific WHLer. Just saying. 

Just now, RogersTowell said:

You'll likely get at least two more top prospects.  We should have a good draft position this year and likely next year as well.

And we're likely moving a D for a forward at some point.

48 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Would you be saying the same thing had we signed Loui AND Lucic? That was the plan; to get both. #CAPHELLAVOIDED

No because any cup winner has a solid group of vets surrounding their young prospects.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And we're likely moving a D for a forward at some point.

It makes too much sense for us to trade Tanev before the expansion draft. I'd prefer to trade Edler but I'm not convinced that he'll waive. So assuming we trade Tanev before his NTC kicks in, we'd then be able to protect Sbisa and only expose Biega.

Sbisa + Tanev return >> Tanev.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

It makes too much sense for us to trade Tanev before the expansion draft. I'd prefer to trade Edler but I'm not convinced that he'll waive. So assuming we trade Tanev before his NTC kicks in, we'd then be able to protect Sbisa and only expose Biega.

Tanev is young enough to be part of the future... a rock solid 32-34 year old d man on a team of inexperienced 23-27 year olds comes in handy during the playoffs. Wish we could dump Edler instead, I agree... but I'd rather hold onto tanev because we're having no issues getting good young forwards with ambition the right additude as is. 

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Yuppy yup, yup.

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Still not enough.  They probably wanted Lucic first, with Eriksson as their second choice.  They were only ever planning to get one.

No. They had Loui as a done deal leading up to July 1st. They made a big play at Lucic, but lost to Edmonton. Your money argument just proves my point of cap hell. They wanted both. Do you not remember Benning's comment of wanting another top six forward shortly after free agency dried up? Call up Moj if you think I'm lying.

Depending on the future systems employed, if the Canucks decide to stay with a defensive first system, then targeting fast, skiilled forwards who can snipe for the counter attack is important. A puck moving D man that can make the first pass or skate it out is important along with the big physical "D" they already have for years to come.

Joulevi, Stecher, and Hutton look like a good start to having puck moving "D"...these young guys will only get better under the guidance of a good coach (You would hope).

A good centerman to play behind Bo and ahead of Sutter is important and a sniper on each of the 3 lines. JB needs to have a plan and follow it.

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Really? They signed a 31 year old for 6 years at 6 million last year. They only really committed to a rebuild this trade deadline.  No rebuilding team signs a declining soft forward at 6 million until they are 37 year old.  They were thinking PLAYOFFS this season. Don't believe for a second that they planned to be sellers this trade deadline.

Wow! Such optimizim.

You should be the MAN in charge

Go Canucks go

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Wow! Such optimizim.

You should be the MAN in charge

Go Canucks go

The dude is actually right though. Plan-A was to make the playoffs by winning now at all costs, with development taking a back seat. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3816871

They had to switch to Plan-B (classic rebuild) once it became clear the Sedins hit the wall. 

Let's all be happy that Plan-B is where we're at.

39 minutes ago, mll said:

Montreal offered more money for the same term but Lucic couldn't see himself as a Hab - they were the final team with the Oilers.  He recently said that if Julien was the coach things could have been different.

Sure, I'm sure there were 10 other teams involved. All I'm saying is the Canucks made a big play at him. Lucky for us, it didn't work out. 

23 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Tanev is young enough to be part of the future... a rock solid 32-34 year old d man on a team of inexperienced 23-27 year olds comes in handy during the playoffs. Wish we could dump Edler instead, I agree... but I'd rather hold onto tanev because we're having no issues getting good young forwards with ambition the right additude as is. 

While I agree with the Edler statement, moving Tanev right now while his value is at the highest would clearly garner a great return. Having his value depreciate while the team is going through development pains the next couple years does not seem like a smart value of assets. If Larsson could get a player like Taylor Hall, who knows what the possibilities for Tanev could be. 

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Really? They signed a 31 year old for 6 years at 6 million last year. They only really committed to a rebuild this trade deadline.  No rebuilding team signs a declining soft forward at 6 million until they are 37 year old.  They were thinking PLAYOFFS this season. Don't believe for a second that they planned to be sellers this trade deadline.

Hansen was going to be GONE for Nothing in expansion draft & Burrows was a buy out candidate this year & an upcoming UFA...

JB did nothing but floss a few teams for guys that were not going to be here next year anyways. Now we have Dahlen, Goblin & a future #1? all for something that was not going to be here anyways....

That's not Sellers that's smart GM'ing...

Archived