The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Brandon Gormley to Senators for future considerations

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

I thought you can't trade after the freaking Trade deadline? Why have a deadline if you can still trade?

Is this some MLB crap non waiver trade deadline vs some other deadline?

The players cant you playou on your team after the deadline.  

I think.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

I thought you can't trade after the freaking Trade deadline? Why have a deadline if you can still trade?

Is this some MLB crap non waiver trade deadline vs some other deadline?

Players traded after the trade deadline are ineligible for the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does this mean in theory the Canucks can still make actual trades with real compensation besides future considerations?

Canucks can trade Horvat +++++ for McDavid  if they can convince the Oilers. As long as neither player plays in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does this mean in theory the Canucks can still make actual trades with real compensation besides future considerations?

Others have already answered but yes, in theory that's possible, although I can't remember it ever happening. Usually these post deadline trades are strictly moving a low value player for future considerations. Like last year when we traded Dane Fox a week after the deadline (and received future considerations).

There was a post-deadline trade years ago that yielded a specified draft pick (like a 4th rounder or something), but I can't recall any player for player trades (other than AHL swaps that have happened between the NHL and AHL trade deadlines). But theoretically at least, such a trade could be made.

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Would he have to be waived come playoffs or could he remain with the team? Lol. 

He could practice and be a "black ace" but he wouldn't be allowed on the game roster and wouldn't get his name on the cup if they won. I'm sure said player would rather be in Mexico. 

Archived