The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

Gaunce is playing incrementally better every game.  No scoring machine, I'll admit, but heading somewhere good.  He has a heavy game that is natural to him, seems impervious to injury, cares about improving his game, can play center or wing, and is starting to make real plays.  Needs to be quicker, needs a little more confidence, but he seems on the verge of breaking out.  Compared to some No trade clause ppl I could mention, he seems to be who we should be protecting for our future.  HOW GOOD IS THIS GUY?  Too good to leave unprotected, or so lame in points we can slip him by Vegas?

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to protect him.  That being said, who do you think we should expose to make room given we have to protect Eriksson and the twins?

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It looks like we're going to have to expose him. I hate the thought of losing him, but losing Bear Cheese or Granlund would be absolutely unacceptable.

@gameburn2 It would be great to keep him, but the situation is pretty much as these guys see it.

I think you're hyping Gaunce up too much.

Yes, he's looked significantly improved as of late, but he still not producing points and unless Vegas has been watching the Canucks every game, they won't take Gaunce over Sbisa (who has been quietly having an excellent season).

And if Gaunce does get taken, then that is a small price to pay during the expansion draft.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to protect him.  That being said, who do you think we should expose to make room given we have to protect Eriksson and the twins?

They could go to one of the twins and ask him to waive his NMC.  LV is not taking one twin at that salary, without his brother, with a year left and clearly not able to keep up anymore.  No chance.

Just now, Fateless said:

Yes, he's looked significantly improved as of late, but he still not producing points and unless Vegas has been watching the Canucks every game, they won't take Gaunce over Sbisa (who has been quietly having an excellent season).

And if Gaunce does get taken, then that is a small price to pay during the expansion draft.

That's the bottom line. Vegas would have little interest in using a pick on Gaunce.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

Theyd have scouts at most games, for every team I would think.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They could go to one of the twins and ask him to waive his NMC.  LV is not taking one twin at that salary, without his brother, with a year left and clearly not able to keep up anymore.  No chance.

I like it, but I think the only way this happens is if they approach Benning.

There's no guarantee we'd lose Gaunce if we were to expose him. The fact he's not putting up sexy numbers right now may actually be a blessing in disguise, as he's flying WAY under the radar as a result.

If we were to expose Bear Cheese or Granny, they'd be picked up in a second.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I like it, but I think the only way this happens is if they approach Benning.

I bet the twins have some input on personnel decisions.  Not much probably, but enough they know what's going on most of the time.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's no guarantee we'd lose Gaunce if we were to expose him. The fact he's not putting up sexy numbers right now may actually be a blessing in disguise, as he's flying WAY under the radar as a result.

I think Sbisa is gone barring a move.  Not crazy about it but most teams stand to lose a good player.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I bet the twins have some input on personnel decisions.  Not much probably, but enough they know what's going on most of the time.

Doubt it given that Linden was here for the Messier debacle.  The twins are far more respectable people but I wouldn't go there.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With Hansen out of the mix and baer and Granlund protected It's a dman or Gaunce.  I'm betting they move a dman before the ED for another pick in the AD.  That leaves Gaunce as the easy target, imo.

Archived