Canucks Community
gameburn2

Gaunce should be Protected

Rate this topic

22 hours ago, hammertime said:

You're right he probably doesn't value being close to his family getting paid millions or being a starter. Vegas makes total sense for him from a professional and personal standpoint. 

But crappy desert and tourists are what really matters in his decision making process.   

With the likes of Bishop, Fleury and Darling out there, it is not a lock Miller would be the starter or even the back up. I could see some Van Beisbrock/Lidster type deals happening before the draft. It would be fun to be George McPhee for the next couple of months.

43 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Or they could not be interested in a forward who scored ZERO goals, that's hard to accomplish!

Outside of moving a dman I doubt they take Gaunce.

Chaput seems to have a more solid heavy game.  Both have stone hands.  Chaput is a good faceoff man.  I see Gaunce moving on, personally.

• Upvote 1

If it's Gaunce they select I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It could be worse and when it comes to talent left unprotected the Canucks probably have one of the least amounts of talent on it for Vegas to pick from. If everything goes right for Gaunce he's a good third liner but everybody is acting like we're losing a future top 6 point producer. I like Gaunce and would prefer he's still there next year but I'm not gonna unprotect one of the guys on our projected list to keep him safe.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Upvote 2

Losing Sbisa makes me ill to the stomach. Guance not so much.

Pizza has earned his way to top 4 without Juice.

I know it sounds silly, I would rather lose Gudbranson. Sbisa was playing more minutes even before Gudbranson went on IR.

4 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Losing Sbisa makes me ill to the stomach. Guance not so much.

Pizza has earned his way to top 4 without Juice.

I know it sounds silly, I would rather lose Gudbranson. Sbisa was playing more minutes even before Gudbranson went on IR.

I think agree. I mean, in theory...Gudbranson should be the more valuable of the two. The way both he and Benning were talking before the season, he seemed like a beast physically, with strong leadership abilities. That's not exactly how things played out though. 

But that's a tough move for Benning to make, having just traded for Guddy. I'd say JB would rather roll the dice that he has a bounce back season because Gudbranson reaching his potential > Sbisa at his (which is pretty close to what we're seeing right now). 

So what do we have in Sbisa? Personally, I think he is pretty underrated on these boards. WHAT? CDC underrating a Canuck?! I know, right? 

IMO Sbisa is fairly similar to Edler, with Edler having a slight edge at this current moment. Sbisa will give you better mobility and more physicality, while Edler will get you a few more points and has a larger frame (although a strong argument can be made that mobility + physicality > overall size). Both defensemen are prone to making mistakes, but they have both played big minutes this year, so you have to expect that kind of thing. Where Sbisa clearly stands out is age (he is almost 4 years younger than Edler) and his current cap hit is roughly $1.4M less, although he is a UFA after next year, while Edler still has 2 years remaining on his deal. Another big difference between the 2 would be Edler's NTC. 

It will be interesting to see how JB approaches the expansion draft. IMO the easiest decision he could make would be to expose Sbisa. Then JB doesn't have to deal with the media backlash he'd get for losing Gudbranson for nothing, a year after trading a fairly large haul for him. I'd actually say exposing Edler would be an easier pill to swallow (vs Gudbranson). I suppose some fans will say it's best to keep Edler for one more year and then get him to agree to waiving his NTC, as we would probably get some good assets for him in a TDL deal. But there's no guarantee that he'll waive and I'll go one step further in saying that the odds are probably against it. After all, he'll be a UFA in 2 years time. Why move your family twice?

Anyways, lots for JB and copmpany to think about. Whatever decision they make, I'm sure we'll all hate it :P 

On 08/04/2017 at 1:14 PM, xereau said:

Chaput seems to have a more solid heavy game.  Both have stone hands.  Chaput is a good faceoff man.  I see Gaunce moving on, personally.

Gaunce has way more upside than Chaput. He's a far smarter player too. The Canucks just made the mistake of trying to force him into being a 4th line LW, because they had "too much depth at center". Being a Gillis pick certainly didn't help his cause either.

I'd personally expose "big balls" Sutter, and plug Gaunce into that spot. I doubt you'd notice much of a drop off, if any.

2 hours ago, Great Granny said:

Being a Gillis pick certainly didn't help his cause either.

Given Gaunce is in the lineup along with Hutton and Horvat, I don't think Benning really cares if it was a Gillis pick or not. I think Benning cares more if the player can make and stay in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Great Granny said:

I'd personally expose "big balls" Sutter, and plug Gaunce into that spot. I doubt you'd notice much of a drop off, if any.

If we draft one of the big 2 Cs then sure, expose Sutter. But Sutter is a perennial 20 goal threat, our best FO man and probably our best defensive forward. I like Gaunce but he's got a LONG way to go to get to where Sutter is. 

• Upvote 1

Losing Gaunce is meaningless.

it is certain as things stand that we lose a D instead.  

yes I hope gaunce stays on our roster.

I want to tank again next year and his lack of offensive ability will help immensely.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:54 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It looks like we're going to have to expose him. I hate the thought of losing him, but losing Bear Cheese or Granlund would be absolutely unacceptable.

You expose Sutter.

There shouldn't be an expansion draft.  Vegas, go find your own players instead of stealing everybody else's.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You expose Sutter.

I'd be game for that if we can't move him.

Words cannot describe how much I want Sutter off the team.

On 4/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, VIC_CITY said:

If we draft one of the big 2 Cs then sure, expose Sutter. But Sutter is a perennial 20 goal threat, our best FO man and probably our best defensive forward. I like Gaunce but he's got a LONG way to go to get to where Sutter is. 

eh?  He's accomplished that feat but twice in eight seasons  (Higgins by comparison, did that three times & I doubt anyone called him perennial 20 goal threat).  Though I do think Sutter's defensive abilities tend to get underrated.

And yes, Sutter >>>>>>>>>> Gaunce.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

There shouldn't be an expansion draft.  Vegas, go find your own players instead of stealing everybody else's.

An American expansion team is going to be up against it with an NHL roster as it is, why would anyone go to a game full of scabs when they're in Vegas...

On 4/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Whether Sutter is a perennial 20 goal man is debatable but what isn't debatable is, at present, Sutter is much more valuable than Gaunce and he has scored many more goals than Gaunce.  I like Gaunce and would hate to lose him but he has one NHL goal in 77 NHL games.  Sutter has 120 goals in 596 NHL games.  Sutter is much more valuable and much more versatile.  He's a very good defensive forward plus he's played the PK and the PP.  Also, he is one of our best face-off men.  That's reality.  I'd love to see Gaunce reach his potential but right now, he is much more expendable than Sutter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd be game for that if we can't move him.

Words cannot describe how much I want Sutter off the team.

Sutter has a negative value with the crazy contract JB gave him.  

Benning is the king of overpaying for players......

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter has a negative value with the crazy contract JB gave him.  

Benning is the king of overpaying for players......

The contract is not that outrageous for a free agent signing. You always pay a premium for free agents unless you want to sign a 33 plus year old.  We are a much better team with Sutter than without him (if people would actually watch him play).  By the way, I used to be the King of Surrey until I moved away in 1979 to find work in Alberta!  I lived in Surrey from 1963 to 1979 and my parents lived there until 1993.  Boy has it changed.  Long live the new King!

• Upvote 2