The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. There are certainly players with comparable numbers that have comparable contracts to Sutter's.

I just don't think he's a player that suits where we are in our rebuild right now. His puck distribution is one of the poorest elements of his game, and with where we are right now, I think having a center that's able to distribute the puck would be far more beneficial to our younger players than someone like Sutter.

I just don't like the idea of someone like Goldobin, Granlund, Boeser, Boucher, etc.... on a line with him.

He was a stop gap type player to stop the bleeding our club was going to go through...

These kinds of signings failed as we still are looking to be 27-30 type club again next year.

20 minutes ago, sockeye said:

The contract is not that outrageous for a free agent signing. You always pay a premium for free agents unless you want to sign a 33 plus year old.  We are a much better team with Sutter than without him (if people would actually watch him play).  By the way, I used to be the King of Surrey until I moved away in 1979 to find work in Alberta!  I lived in Surrey from 1963 to 1979 and my parents lived there until 1993.  Boy has it changed.  Long live the new King!

Yes Surrey has become the most important city in BC now and so much more beautiful than the  declined worn out city of Vancouver.

Pretty much every young adult in Van city is now looking to move out to Surrey .  So encouraging to see as Surrey has become such a vibrant up and coming city.

I live in Alberta too and loved it . I was there before the oil boom so left Albert to look for work. Funny how the boom / bust cycle in Alberta affects people differently.

Agree FA's  are typically overpaid.  I really don't want to see Canucks go down the route again...    Loui E,  Sutter, Vrbata has all not really made our club significantly stronger at least not enough to put our club in the playoff picture...

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

eh?  He's accomplished that feat but twice in eight seasons  (Higgins by comparison, did that three times & I doubt anyone called him perennial 20 goal threat).  Though I do think Sutter's defensive abilities tend to get underrated.

And yes, Sutter >>>>>>>>>> Gaunce.

I didn't say he was a perennial 20 goal scorer, I said he was a 20 goal threat. Over his last 5 seasons he's averaged just shy of 18 goals per 82 games. We're splitting hairs here...

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes Surrey has become the most important city in BC now and so much more beautiful than the  declined worn out city of Vancouver.

Pretty much every young adult in Van city is now looking to move out to Surrey .  So encouraging to see as Surrey has become such a vibrant up and coming city.

I live in Alberta too and loved it . I was there before the oil boom so left Albert to look for work. Funny how the boom / bust cycle in Alberta affects people differently.

Agree FA's  are typically overpaid.  I really don't want to see Canucks go down the route again...    Loui E,  Sutter, Vrbata has all not really made our club significantly stronger at least not enough to put our club in the playoff picture...

They've done a good job with the new city centre in Surrey and the skytrain station is a big plus.  I can remember having a cold beverage at Blackie's Spit near Crescent Beach - beautiful.  I grew up in Sullivan (now called "Sullivan Station").  They have some nice parks there too (Bear Creek, Semiahmoo area, etc.).  Now if they can just clean up the crime in Whalley and Newton.  There's too many people there now (for me) but it's still a good place to visit (and catch a Canucks game, etc.).

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. There are certainly players with comparable numbers that have comparable contracts to Sutter's.

I just don't think he's a player that suits where we are in our rebuild right now. His puck distribution is one of the poorest elements of his game, and with where we are right now, I think having a center that's able to distribute the puck would be far more beneficial to our younger players than someone like Sutter.

I just don't like the idea of someone like Goldobin, Granlund, Boeser, Boucher, etc.... on a line with him.

If we win the lottery and draft Hischier he could step into the lineup as a 3C. That would push Sutter to the wing where I believe he is more effective with his speed. If Adam Gaudette can take the next step to the NHL in a year's time after Hank retires then you can slot Gaudette on the 3rd line with Sutter and Granlund and play Hischier with Virtanen and Goldobin. 

Let's hope we win the lottery and Gaudette pans out. Those two things will complete our rebuld in the middle. Of course Patrick or Glass could fit the bill as well. At the end of the day we have a good shot to solidify our centre position for the next decade with this draft. Let's just hope we pick the right centre. 

8 hours ago, sockeye said:

The contract is not that outrageous for a free agent signing. You always pay a premium for free agents unless you want to sign a 33 plus year old.  We are a much better team with Sutter than without him (if people would actually watch him play).  By the way, I used to be the King of Surrey until I moved away in 1979 to find work in Alberta!  I lived in Surrey from 1963 to 1979 and my parents lived there until 1993.  Boy has it changed.  Long live the new King!

OT:  for some odd reason, the following scene from the classic film "Army of Darkness" came to my mind when I read this LOL...

Duke Nukem "borrowed" it as well:

....now back to your regularly scheduled program....

9 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

If we win the lottery and draft Hischier he could step into the lineup as a 3C. That would push Sutter to the wing where I believe he is more effective with his speed. If Adam Gaudette can take the next step to the NHL in a year's time after Hank retires then you can slot Gaudette on the 3rd line with Sutter and Granlund and play Hischier with Virtanen and Goldobin. 

Let's hope we win the lottery and Gaudette pans out. Those two things will complete our rebuld in the middle. Of course Patrick or Glass could fit the bill as well. At the end of the day we have a good shot to solidify our centre position for the next decade with this draft. Let's just hope we pick the right centre. 

Indeed.

If Sutter were playing the wing, he at least wouldn't have to be the driving force of the line. 

For me, I'm leaning towards one of either Patrick, Hischier, or Mittelstadt (I realize Mittelstadt is likely a couple years away, but he just oozes with skill, which is something we really need). I like Glass and Vilardi as well, but I think Horvat makes going for Glass a bit redundant, and it's thought Vilardi might be more of a winger than a center.

If all of the three centers I like are gone by the time we're up, I'd go for Liljegren. If all four are off the board by the time we're up, I might consider trading down.

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

He was a stop gap type player to stop the bleeding our club was going to go through...

These kinds of signings failed as we still are looking to be 27-30 type club again next year.

...and the year after as well. That's where we are in the cycle. As a fan I can only hope we don't hit bottom 3 in more than 3 seasons in a row.

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

...and the year after as well. That's where we are in the cycle. As a fan I can only hope we don't hit bottom 3 in more than 3 seasons in a row.

Nah. I truly believe things start to look up after this coming season. Not saying a playoff birth, but better.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nah. I truly believe things start to look up after this coming season. Not saying a playoff birth, but better.

Can't really be much worse next year can it ?????

Hoping we expose Sutter........    

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they leave us with Gaunce. I really think he is a sleeper and will do very well as a utility Centre/winger.

Somebody said he lacks grit - I don't agree, we don't know when he injured his shoulder but he started off in Vancouver as a pretty physical checking player. 

I also think he has a good hockey IQ and although he is fairly quick, I think he can get quicker.

On 4/8/2017 at 9:14 PM, xereau said:

Chaput seems to have a more solid heavy game.  Both have stone hands.  Chaput is a good faceoff man.  I see Gaunce moving on, personally.

Stone hands? Gaunce? Where did you come up with that one?

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Stone hands? Gaunce? Where did you come up with that one?

What would you call 1 goal in 77 NHL games. His career shooting percentage is 1.2%. He actually makes Chaput, 6 goals in 126 games, look like a sniper.  :lol:

Archived