The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

22 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

Is anybody else hoping we expose Edler ?

F - Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson/Sutter/Baertschi/Granlund/Horvat

D - Tanev/Sbisa/Gudbranson

G - Markstrom

That is my list as well. I will be shocked if Benning does not have a deal cooking that retains the value in his 4 eligable d-men. Expose Edler on a deal.

25 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

Is anybody else hoping we expose Edler ?

F - Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson/Sutter/Baertschi/Granlund/Horvat

D - Tanev/Sbisa/Gudbranson

G - Markstrom

Not really, no. He's better than Sbisa, would garner more in a trade and has an additional year left on his contract. I'm all for trading him but I'm curious what your rationale for exposing him is?

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

That is my list as well. I will be shocked if Benning does not have a deal cooking that retains the value in his 4 eligable d-men. Expose Edler on a deal.

Bingo, This is literally our only chance to get rid of Edler as it's become appearant that he will not waive his NTC. But then again his awful defensive style will help us be botton 5 for the next 2 season stock piling picks... Tough one lol..

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not really, no. He's better than Sbisa, would garner more in a trade and has an additional year left on his contract. I'm all for trading him but I'm curious what your rationale for exposing him is?

He has refused to waive his NTC. So we will get zero value for him based on that. So rather keep the tradable asset in Sbisa incase we want to get something/anything for him.

Truth told, If I was a NHL team I would take Sbisa for a 3rd then Edler for a 2nd. That might just be me though.

1 minute ago, BoesersFlow said:

Bingo, This is literally our only chance to get rid of Edler as it's become appearant that he will not waive his NTC. But then again his awful defensive style will help us be botton 5 for the next 2 season stock piling picks... Tough one lol..

But let's just say he doesn't waive and we're stuck with him for 2 more years at $5M, what's the problem with that?

Who is going to replace his minutes (and be better)? If we were to sign a better dman at $5M, it would have to be for more than 2 years and we're not really in the position to be making those signings right now (see Eriksson).

Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't waive his NTC. A lot has changed in the last few years, which I believe was the last time he was asked if he'd waive.

I'm not the biggest Edler fan in the world but it's not like his contact cripples us by any means. Hopefully he waives but if not, he only has 2 years left and those are 2 years that we could use his veteran presence.

7 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

He has refused to waive his NTC. So we will get zero value for him based on that. So rather keep the tradable asset in Sbisa incase we want to get something/anything for him.

Truth told, If I was a NHL team I would take Sbisa for a 3rd then Edler for a 2nd. That might just be me though.

I thought Edler was quoted last year as have never been asked to waive. I do not see a player wanting to stay where he is not in the teams plans. Canucks have had a history of not moving their vets and with Hansen and Burrows moving attitudes might change about leaving.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

But let's just say he doesn't waive and we're stuck with him for 2 more years at $5M, what's the problem with that?

Who is going to replace his minutes (and be better)? If we were to sign a better dman at $5M, it would have to be for more than 2 years and we're not really in the position to be making those signings right now (see Eriksson).

Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't waive his NTC. A lot has changed in the last few years, which I believe was the last time he was asked if he'd waive.

I'm not the biggest Edler fan in the world but it's not like his contact cripples us by any means. Hopefully he waives but if not, he only has 2 years left and those are 2 years that we could use his veteran presence.

Edler isn't apart of the next Canucks playoff run (whenever that is). Rather give the minutes to Tanev, Sbisa, Guddy, Stetcher, Hutton, Subban, Juolevi, Biega, Brisebois etc... Changing of the tides... 

I hope next season we play low to the cap, maybe even take on contracts like Coyotes did in Bolland, Datsyuk, Pronger etc. 

Only thing I agree on is the Vet Presence but if he's not teaching the right things on the ice then it might not be worth it for the off the ice presence.

40 minutes ago, BoesersFlow said:

Edler isn't apart of the next Canucks playoff run (whenever that is). Rather give the minutes to Tanev, Sbisa, Guddy, Stetcher, Hutton, Subban, Juolevi, Biega, Brisebois etc... Changing of the tides... 

I hope next season we play low to the cap, maybe even take on contracts like Coyotes did in Bolland, Datsyuk, Pronger etc. 

Only thing I agree on is the Vet Presence but if he's not teaching the right things on the ice then it might not be worth it for the off the ice presence.

Well, we can't say he's teaching the wrong things. Edler's limitations are mostly physical (speed and aggression). There is nothing to suggest that his fitness, preparation, experience and leadership is anything but positive for our youth. Stetcher even said so himself.

I agree in giving minutes to our youth but it's not Edler Vs the youth, it's Edler Vs Sbisa.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

By statistical standards, CoHo was a good pick.  Number of games played.  He led an NHL team in scoring...

Some say it was the back injuries. Or nosy dad? I reckon it must really have been the white powder that killed his career?

It's ok mods. I'm referring to when he went on a diet. So he could keep up & back check. And started using dried milk powder, to lose his baby cheeks. Instead of the fresh full strength stuff.

LOL...I haven't heard any reports of CoHo being into the "powdered milk" but it almost fits the narrative, given how fast his career de.....railed. Pun intended.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

He's probably sleeping

I honestly think that having Edler on the team is a negative at this point. He plays with little interest and just looks awful out there in the vast majority of games so if losing him for nothing is the only way to get rid of him, I'm all for it. Back to Gaunce though, he shouldn't be protected and if he does get picked we have Chaput immediately, and Cassels/Gaudette down the road to do what he does. 

2 hours ago, BoesersFlow said:

When has he ever been asked to waive it?

Just now, BoesersFlow said:

Not sure on that one but this Tweet...

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/441302132365328385

Dan Murphy - Sportsnet

@sportsnetmurph

Alex Edler told me you don't sign a 6-year deal with a NTC so you can leave town shortly after #canucks Don't think he'd waive.

When he first signed the deal and there were rumors swirling Detroit was interested in him before his ntc kicked in. The rumors sprung up again the following year at the trade deadline when that quote appeared. I doubt Gillis even considered moving our best d-man at that time. If he had wanted to move Edler he could have done it the first time the rumors found life and had a bidding war. Why wait until the ntc kicked in if Gillis had any interest in moving him? That makes little sense.

Of course that was years ago under different circumstances. Now who knows what Edler would do. In an interview last summer he said when a team doesn't want you any more to have to look at it. Not a definite he'll waive but certainly not an outright refusal either. Just if it comes up, he'll consider it.

I'm pretty sure we're keeping Edler, given how Stecher likes him so much. We do need to find a defenceman that replaces Sbisa though, as well as adding another GOOD defenceman to improve the corps.

Edler can't do it by himself... and yes he is frustrating to watch for sure. I still think he needs help though.

With the offseason surgery now, Gaunce's risk level has gone up.

Factor in the low number of goals, and 0G 5 A for a forward, plus the injury proneness, and it's extremely unlikely he will be taken in the expansion draft.

So it's pretty much a moot point now.

5 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

With the offseason surgery now, Gaunce's risk level has gone up.

Factor in the low number of goals, and 0G 5 A for a forward, plus the injury proneness, and it's extremely unlikely he will be taken in the expansion draft.

So it's pretty much a moot point now.

You make it sound like that he's not ever going to be 100 percent, ever. I guess every player, prospect included, shouldn't be drafted/acquired if they've ever had surgery for anything. Nor should we trade anyone who's ever been injured in the past.

Yeah that Crosby guy.. i wonder what Pittsburgh wants for that... maybe Sbisa + 3rd? We could be overpaying...

/sarc

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

You make it sound like that he's not ever going to be 100 percent, ever. I guess every player, prospect included, shouldn't be drafted/acquired if they've ever had surgery for anything. Nor should we trade anyone who's ever been injured in the past.

Yeah that Crosby guy.. i wonder what Pittsburgh wants for that... maybe Sbisa + 3rd? We could be overpaying...

/sarc

Crosby situation is interesting.  If he sustained the same level of concussion as the last 2 times he may been done for good.

Archived