The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

Just now, The Aquamen said:

I agree, again I firmly believe that Hanes has more skill as well. The guy even forechecks harder than Gaunce and he's smaller, hence you're aggressive statement.

The problem is is you're comparing a rookie with a player who has 10+ years experience in the league and saying the 10+ years player is better. If this were an office, should Gaunce be that cocky kid who's going up in the ranks and then Hansen being the older guy who has to work under him? Is that how this works?

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Gaunce has trade value too, so don't be surprised to see the Canucks protect the organization by trading for picks.  A low 1st (where he was taken), to a contender seems like a reasonable return to me.

A 1st? For Gaunce?  Not a chance in hell 

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't really follow you here. Sounds like you are suggesting moving around the deck chairs on a sinking ship. So instead of Team A losing player A and team B losing player B in the draft, they trade. Then Team A loses player B and Team B loses player A. What does that accomplish?

I mean if team A trades their best unprotected player to team B, now team B has both of those players and LV can only take one of them. So instead of both teams losing their players for nothing, one team gets an asset for their player and the other gets a replacement for the player they will lose to LV at a reduced cost. Teams will be willing to sell their best unprotected player really low because the alternative is to lose them for nothing. It's an alternative to paying Vegas to not draft a certain player. 

1 hour ago, The Aquamen said:

Who said that? 

Almost everybody on CDC called him Jannik "Hands of Stone" Hansen and it was warranted.  Luckily he shook off that moniker several years ago but everytime that guy touched the puck the play died on his stick.

27 minutes ago, WZRD said:

Almost everybody on CDC called him Jannik "Hands of Stone" Hansen and it was warranted.  Luckily he shook off that moniker several years ago but everytime that guy touched the puck the play died on his stick.

Well wasn't CDC wrong haha, just like CDC will be wrong on thinking ( if the general population on here does think that) Gaunce will be better than Hansen,. Why are we still discussing this boys? I'm about to have a dluble Johnny Walker Black and, got steaks on the BBQ, cheers

2 hours ago, The Aquamen said:

Ok I'm not trying to attack you or abything you're my fellow Canucks fan. But honestly Hansen is so much more versatile and skilled and better skating and, my goodness 

Gaunce was a first round pick

Hansen was a 9th round pick

You do the math as to which player was projected to have a better NHL career.  

Don't give up on Gaunce. The kid is 22 yrs old.....     Way too young to write him off. 

1 hour ago, The Aquamen said:

That's all I've been saying Alfie that Hansen is a better hockey player, I like the kid but you know, and yes I've mentioned the skating is a huge part, I've said that as well a couple hours ago

I think Gaunce has a good chance at being our next Hansen.........

http://www.dobberprospects.com/brendan-gaunce/

October 2016 - Gaunce had a fantastic training camp and pre-season for the Canucks. He aced his physical testing, displayed his versatility by playing wing and center, showed well on special teams and chipped in on the scoresheet. His efforts were rewarded with a spot on the opening-day lineup. The former first-round selection will look to build off this nice start and contribute in all areas of the ice for a somewhat weak Vancouver forward corps. He has the ability to become a reliable middle-six forward. Cam Robinson

6 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gaunce was a first round pick

Hansen was a 9th round pick

You do the math as to which player was projected to have a better NHL career.  

Don't give up on Gaunce. The kid is 22 yrs old.....     Way too young to write him off. 

Was Gaunce really a 1st Rounder though?? :(;)

Come on Mr.Surrey 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I wonder if we could sign Miller 5mx3years and expose him. He would prob be happy in Vegas. I'd rather we didn't pay him that. But thats prob what he will get. Vegas would likely grab him and we would have protected everyone.

I would love to hear one reason as to why you believe this man would be happy there. 

4 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

I would love to hear one reason as to why you believe this man would be happy there. 

Its the only team close to home that would play him as a starter and pay him as one too. He would be able to spend more time with his family as he would be super nearby. 

6 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

Vegas is in Cali? 

Yaya I edited it the moment I posted it had a brain cramp. Nevada has no tax am i right so you can add that too the list too. Point is its close to his family and he could be a starter there and make butt loads of money. Whats not to like if your him?  

Just now, hammertime said:

Yaya I edited it the moment I posted it had a brain cramp. Nevada has no tax am i right so you can add that too the list too. Point is its close to his family and he could be a starter there and make butt loads of money. Whats not to like if your him?  

For one, the really annoying tourism. Also I live in a desert half as bad as Las Vegas, that is a serious factor to consider because it isn't great. 

17 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

For one, the really annoying tourism. Also I live in a desert half as bad as Las Vegas, that is a serious factor to consider because it isn't great. 

Your really reaching bud. Thats the reason "tourism" and "desert". He could play a freaking matinee game and be home in time to read his kids a bed time story.  

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I mean if team A trades their best unprotected player to team B, now team B has both of those players and LV can only take one of them. So instead of both teams losing their players for nothing, one team gets an asset for their player and the other gets a replacement for the player they will lose to LV at a reduced cost. Teams will be willing to sell their best unprotected player really low because the alternative is to lose them for nothing. It's an alternative to paying Vegas to not draft a certain player. 

Ok, I see what you mean. But don't forget, each team will still lose one player, so the team that traded away their best unprotected player then loses their next best instead. So unless there is a huge gap in value between these two players, there really isn't much juice in this kind of juggling.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If the Canucks move a dman and manage to protect Sbisa, if you're LV who do you take?

Hmmm wow I guess I didn't realize how slim the pickings are after Hansen was moved. 

First and foremost, I think we should move a dman. Even if it's sbisa himself... We're almost guaranteed to lose him 

What happens to guys expiring in 2017? They can't take Miller or Rodin? 

I guess in that case, your best bets may be Gaunce followed by Pedan? Maybe Dorsett even? Who knows... Regardless, I don't think it's the end of the world if we lose Gaunce. I honestly haven't been impressed with his play at all... But others seem to be quite high on him. Perhaps he needs more time to develop and I've been too hard on him. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hmmm wow I guess I didn't realize how slim the pickings are after Hansen was moved. 

First and foremost, I think we should move a dman. Even if it's sbisa himself... We're almost guaranteed to lose him 

What happens to guys expiring in 2017? They can't take Miller or Rodin? 

I guess in that case, your best bets may be Gaunce followed by Pedan? Maybe Dorsett even? Who knows... Regardless, I don't think it's the end of the world if we lose Gaunce. I honestly haven't been impressed with his play at all... But others seem to be quite high on him. Perhaps he needs more time to develop and I've been too hard on him. 

Vegas has a window to negotiate with pending ufa's prior to the expansion draft. If they come to a deal that player is their selection from that team.

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Vegas has a window to negotiate with pending ufa's prior to the expansion draft. If they come to a deal that player is their selection from that team.

I wonder how often that will happen. I would imagine in most cases the team would be delighted not to lose anyone under contract.

Archived