The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

4 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I wonder how often that will happen. I would imagine in most cases the team would be delighted not to lose anyone under contract.

Wow, now i know why Willie is playing Megna on PP1.....  He is UFA.

Surely Vegas is going to take the new Canuck Superstar   27 yr old J Megna.  

26 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Vegas has a window to negotiate with pending ufa's prior to the expansion draft. If they come to a deal that player is their selection from that team.

Cool... Wasn't aware of that. 

So they could negotiate with Miller or Rodin if they wanted to... I'd rather do that if I was them than take Gaunce. 

27 minutes ago, apollo said:

Cool... Wasn't aware of that. 

So they could negotiate with Miller or Rodin if they wanted to... I'd rather do that if I was them than take Gaunce. 

Or they could use that window to negotiate and come to a hush hush agreement with the UFA for July 1 and select another player in the expansion draft first. McPhee is not a fool and I bet this is exactly what he is thinking.

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

3-6 D man.  Reading comprehension sir typewriter genius

Maybe you should watch him play instead of commenting.  He's doing nothing but improving on a bad team.

Trading Sbisa means we expose someone else instead, means we GET AN ASSET IN RETURN and still possibly keep Gaunce or flip said return to ensure we keep him.

Now, keeping in mind that Gaunce will most certainly be exposed but there is NO guarantee he even gets selected.  BUT!.  Both Sbisa and Gaunce will possibly be exposed.  You can lose one and get 0 return.  Or you can lose one and ensure you get a return while risking the other

If you like just giving away things that's cool.  But to say just let him walk is sheer idiocy

Yeah, so I'm saying he's a 5-6 D. AKA bottom pairing D. Easily replaceable. You would have realized that if you could put two and two together. 

Also my name is HBH not HBK, so I think you're the one who needs to work on their reading comprehension. 

i think benning will send a draft pick to protect gaunce. he's going to be a valuable player for us down the road. strong bottom six player. could be a decent middle six player, and could spot from time to time on the top six. I see him becoming a player that's almost as versatile as Hansen has been in recent years. Especially if his skating improves. 

This thread is incredible.

Protect Gaunce? Send draft picks to secure Gaunce? Gaunce has 1st round pick trade value? Keep Gaunce over Baertschi? The guy is a dime a dozen tweener getting limited minutes on one of the worst teams in the NHL. He doesn't play a hard physical game as some suggest. He's not a Clutterbuck, Martin, Wilson, Abdelkader, Reaves, Neil, White, Ott or Dorsett. He's not intimidating. Gaunce will never be a top 6 player, he isn't suited for a 4th line roll. Which leaves him as a career 3C or 3LW at best. With the amount of prospects we have coming up, Gaunce will be irrelevant in 2 seasons which is exactly why  we shouldn't protect him or give up any assets to protect him.

I understand you guys want to support our prospects, but you're not being realistic. You can grab a guy like him off waivers or for a 6th round pick. Just cause he has the 1st round pick label attached to him doesn't mean $&!#. The talent in his draft year was almost pathetic.

5 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Protect Gaunce? Send draft picks to secure Gaunce? Gaunce has 1st round pick trade value? Keep Gaunce over Baertschi? The guy is a dime a dozen tweener getting limited minutes on one of the worst teams in the NHL. He doesn't play a hard physical game as some suggest. He's not a Clutterbuck, Martin, Wilson, Abdelkader, Reaves, Neil, White, Ott or Dorsett. He's not intimidating. Gaunce will never be a top 6 player, he isn't suited for a 4th line roll. Which leaves him as a career 3C or 3LW at best. With the amount of prospects we have coming up, Gaunce will be irrelevant in 2 seasons which is exactly why  we shouldn't protect him or give up any assets to protect him.

I understand you guys want to support our prospects, but you're not being realistic. You can grab a guy like him off waivers or for a 6th round pick. Just cause he has the 1st round pick label attached to him doesn't mean $&!#. The talent in his draft year was almost pathetic.

Exactly right. If you are looking for what is easier to get in the NHL, a 3rd or 4th line guy is the easiest to acquire. Getting a top 6 forward, an NHL defenseman or a starting goalie are the hot commodities. Chicago dumps guys like this every year and brings in a rookie or a player willing to play for minimum wage as it should be. They are a dime a dozen.

I would much rather see a rookie come in with offensive upside then a guy who has proven that offense is not his strong point.

He is a filler player and not much more then that period.

6 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Great post. Can't really add anything to that.

6 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

A voice of reason, I want to hit the "like" button 50 times!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, hammertime said:

Your really reaching bud. Thats the reason "tourism" and "desert". He could play a freaking matinee game and be home in time to read his kids a bed time story.  

I am reaching, yet you seem to have millers entire inner workings of his life sorted out for him LOL

He could be the future capt of the LV knights. This guy oozes a solid pro coaches dream kinda game. Hope McPhee overlooks him. Honestly I would give LV a 3rd to not take him. 

He may never crack 20 goals, but he will anchor a third line on a playoff team in two to three years.

On 2017-03-09 at 7:36 AM, Pepe Silvia said:

Hope your last name is McPhee!  

I would not expose Baer for Gaunce, that silly, but I would give LV a 3rd not to take him. JB has some wheeling and dealing to do prior to the drafts. If LV takes Gaunce, he could be sent down thru waivers and we could just pick him up again. 

I wont get caught up in points this year with WD behind the bench. Megna on the 1st line with the twins for 40 games is not a recipe for offence. 

8 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

I am reaching, yet you seem to have millers entire inner workings of his life sorted out for him LOL

You're right he probably doesn't value being close to his family getting paid millions or being a starter. Vegas makes total sense for him from a professional and personal standpoint. 

But crappy desert and tourists are what really matters in his decision making process.   

On March 8, 2017 at 10:32 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Or they could use that window to negotiate and come to a hush hush agreement with the UFA for July 1 and select another player in the expansion draft first. McPhee is not a fool and I bet this is exactly what he is thinking.

Or they could not be interested in a forward who scored ZERO goals, that's hard to accomplish!

22 hours ago, hammertime said:

You're right he probably doesn't value being close to his family getting paid millions or being a starter. Vegas makes total sense for him from a professional and personal standpoint. 

But crappy desert and tourists are what really matters in his decision making process.   

With the likes of Bishop, Fleury and Darling out there, it is not a lock Miller would be the starter or even the back up. I could see some Van Beisbrock/Lidster type deals happening before the draft. It would be fun to be George McPhee for the next couple of months.

Archived