The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Getting our young RHD Stud

5 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

When you get those back to back responses, you know you have made a good trade proposal.

The resulting defense core for both teams looks good. However, it does leave our depth on Dmen suspect. I'm also not sure about how physically mature/dominant Liljegren is because I haven't seen him enough other than in highlights. So I'm not sure how he would handle the physicality in the west, therefore I don't know if you want to hitch your wagon to that ride. I think you might have just really liked the Lidstrom Rafalski pairing on the wings a few years ago - can't blame you, who didn't.

That said, good trade proposal.

What's the logic in trading our #1 defenseman as well as another good young defenseman for someone who will only be a little better than Juolevi? I guarantee people would be livid if this scenario happened. 

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i remember back when, people argued who the best defenseman was, orr or harvey? offensively orr was the greatest, harvey was an opposing defensive d man. i loved both of them. if you had both on your team, you'ld have the best of both worlds.

If you had them both you would win every stanley cup

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I am guessing you are not the biggest Juolevi fan?

I am a big fan of his but I think the 1-2 punch of Juolevi and Liljegren could be a staple for 10+ years like a Keith and Seabrook

3 hours ago, Pears said:

What's the logic in trading our #1 defenseman as well as another good young defenseman for someone who will only be a little better than Juolevi? I guarantee people would be livid if this scenario happened. 

Fans want the rebuild. Whats one more year if you are going to build a better and more sustainable team? Trust me the long term upside of this guy will far outweigh the short term drop off in depth.

I would definitely recommend that people go and take a look at some clips for this guy and you wont be disappointed

1 hour ago, dayner said:

I am a big fan of his but I think the 1-2 punch of Juolevi and Liljegren could be a staple for 10+ years like a Keith and Seabrook

Fans want the rebuild. Whats one more year if you are going to build a better and more sustainable team? Trust me the long term upside of this guy will far outweigh the short term drop off in depth.

I would definitely recommend that people go and take a look at some clips for this guy and you wont be disappointed

I totally agree with this trade. I think it's awesome.

Some mock drafts have Liljegren going 6th, so it's possible he could fall to our pick. We could also use Columbus' 2nd and our 2nd to move up in the draft to nab Liljegren. That or we could trade Hutton with our pick to move up. 

What would a guy like Mathew Spencer cost? He is a big bodied RD 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft to Tampa Bay. Could turn into a good player. Numbers show him to be a decent passer. Could Edler to Tampa Bay land us a second round prospect like him?

5 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

What would a guy like Mathew Spencer cost? He is a big bodied RD 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft to Tampa Bay. Could turn into a good player. Numbers show him to be a decent passer. Could Edler to Tampa Bay land us a second round prospect like him?

At the very least we would need to take Coburn back and retain on Edler's contract. Not sure that Stevie Y bite on Edler though

Having Liljegren would be nice but IMO Canucks need a goal scorer more than another Dman. Canucks are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and Bo leads and looks like he maybe the only one to get more than 20+. The Sedins are not going to lead the team in goals anymore so how about someone like Tippet if we cannot get Patrick and that's not likely.

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

If Phoenix is in need of a RHD why wouldn't they keep that pick and just take Liljegren themselves? :lol:

Ya, either that or the Canucks can draft this guy outright themselves as they may have a shot at him.

17 hours ago, Pears said:

I can't speak for other people, but I don't think of Tanev as a #1, far from it. He's one of the most defensively sound Dmen in the league, but he contributes nothing else to the team, other than being a nice guy, presumably. He gets run over too much by forwards barreling down on him. Imo, that's not a recipe for longevity. He's not even 200lbs so it's not like he is "blessed" physically to take it. The way I look at it, cash in before the wheels come undone. 

That said, I'm not sure if Liljegren is who we would want to hitch our wagon to, but it's fun to dream about that defensive core. Going after a gritty top 6 scoring forward is probably  the wiser choice instead.

This is why I offered the proposal. I would love a top 5 pick in the draft but that would be our pick.

I would love even more for us to pull off this trade and we can have two top 5 picks.

Maybe grab a C and a D.

I like to dream :D

I personally think our future d core is fine as it is. Stecher tryamkin Hutton could all get significantly better in the coming years. 

But if we are trading someone I think buffalo is a good target. They need to start winning and desperately need lhd and they're in the top 10. 

Hutton + our 2017 2nd for Buff 1st 

On 2017-03-08 at 0:44 AM, Dral said:

Whats wrong with a well marinated and grilled to perfection, mature 31yr old Tanev leading a young D-core?

Webers 31, Burns 31, Keith 33, anyone remember Pronger or Neids or Lidstrom at 31? When I really think about it... a 31 yr old Tanev is exactly who I want as my #1 Dman going into the cup finals

Are you actually comparing Tanev to Weber, Burns, Keith, Pronger, Neidermeyer and Lidstrom??

I LOVE Tanev, but he has an extremely low Offensive ceiling, so that eliminates him from any conversation about who is a "#1 Dman". 

24 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

Are you actually comparing Tanev to Weber, Burns, Keith, Pronger, Neidermeyer and Lidstrom??

I LOVE Tanev, but he has an extremely low Offensive ceiling, so that eliminates him from any conversation about who is a "#1 Dman". 

My point was at 31 years old, a Dman is hardly over the hill taking up a roster spot

10 minutes ago, Dral said:

My point was at 31 years old, a Dman is hardly over the hill taking up a roster spot

I myself never said that 31 was "over the hill" or that Tanev was "taking up a roster spot."  

You, however, clearly said, "a 31yr old Tanev is exactly who I want as my #1 Dman going into the cup finals".  He is NOT a #1 Dman, and he would NOT be the #1 Dman I would want heading into the Finals. Not even close. 

On 3/7/2017 at 9:07 PM, dayner said:

Hi Everyone, First time being an OP.

I was thinking about this upcoming draft and how cool it would be for the Canucks to be drafting number one. I have seen Nolan Patrick and he does have a high ceiling, maybe not McJesus or Matthews ceiling but still a relatively high one still.

However I have also been watching clips of Timothy Liljegren and he does look like he COULD be a Drew Doughty type of D-man which makes me salivate.

From the Hockey Writers:

Liljegren is not only gifted with an intelligent hockey mind, making him a playmaking asset for his team everywhere on the ice. He has also acquired a certain toolbox of skills to put his intelligence into practice. His skating as well as his puck handling abilities, and not to forget his shot, are some of the things that make him stand out of the horde. He doesn’t necessarily have some additional layers that allow him to do more than his peers. He just does everything better.

So lets just say that we get the #1 Draft pick, I am still all for going after Patrick, BUT, I keep wondering if there is a team out there that would trade us a 3-5 draft pick to pick him and I came up with this.

TRADE

Vancouver

Tanev

Hutton

2017 CLB 2nd Round Draft Pick (assuming they pass it on to us, which i believe they will)

2017 Van 3rd Round Draft Pick

Phoenix

1st Round Draft Pick 

Luke Schenn (for one more year)

And with that pick the Canucks take Timothy Liljegren.

For Vancouver

The chance of having a top 2 guy but a top end RHD is too good of a chance to pass up. With Hutton gone we can move Groot to the left side as a second pairing LHD.

I just have an image of a 2018-2019 D-Pairing (obviously we would need to do something with Edler for this to happen.................)

Juolevi-Liljegren

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Brisebois-Gudbranson

For Arizona

Its not a secret that John Chayka is looking for a RHD to play with OEL that will allow him to take more chances offensively. It is also known that as an analytics guy Chayka is on board the Tanev train cause he is an analytics monster. Tanev can also be a 'vet' presence on the team at 28 if Doan and Vrbata are gone at the end of the year. Hutton can help with their D mobility and would look good with a core made up of Murphy, Chychrun and Goligoski added to OEL and Tanev.

That's my thoughts, proceed to flame away.

That line up looks really good but we need offence and I like our defence the way it is unless we can add a for sure stud #1 and I don't think this guy is it, I agree with Pears

Archived